PDA

View Full Version : Second thoughts

Mum2Kyla
26-01-2010, 04:13 PM
I just needed to get some thoughts off my chest really and know that is there is anywhere i can get advice its this fab place! :)

Im still in the very early stages of pre-reg but ive really started to have second thoughts. Not because I dont want to do it but im just feeling very nervous. Its proberly bcos im stuck waiting to hear about my course etc but still.

Im currently is on Maternity leave but decided that I didnt want to go bk to work as I wanted to go back into childminding so i could be at home with my LO and I miss working with kids so much. (I was a childminder 5 years ago when I lived in Birmingham)

BUT ive started to have doubts now. The main reason is money. The job im in at the moment is mine for life and i know that in the current climate that is a very precious thing. Im just worried that I will fail my family if i move into CM because I will be relying on others for the money and job security.

My partner has given me fantastic support. Friends and family have said that i should follow my heart and if its what i want to do then i should go for it but they are not the ones who have to pay our morgage.

I just wondered if anyone else has gone through these kinda thoughts and second guessing themselves.

Sorry its so long but just feel really confused at the moment.

sarah707
26-01-2010, 06:41 PM
That's a tricky one because sometimes the phone doesn't ring and the work doesn't happen or you take on 2 children from one family and they move away or you suddenly get 3 starting school at the same time...

Childminding is precarious in many ways but hugely rewarding in others.

I would say try to have a couple of months mortgage in the bank then when you hit a dry spell, you'll not go under.

hth :D

CAZMCA
27-01-2010, 08:48 AM
aww hun, i was like this too a couple of months ago the my certificate came through and i was made up, but then the phone didn't ring for months and i was thinking whats wrong with me and got a bit down, now i've signed contracts with my first mindee and i'm so happy :clapping: stick with it hun, it will all be worth it in the end!

funfunfun
27-01-2010, 09:27 AM
:) Hya there

I am also in the early stages have my icp in may/just attended briefing etc

I have the nervous feeling too ...i currently have a job in a school and i no my job is secure for as long as i need & want it .

I also have the fear of what if i do it and fail:eek: ...Im sure everyone who has taken up a role of a childminder has and had the same fear as we do .

I myself want to do this , as previoslly being registered and recieved a start up grant i sent it back and backed out !!!!!!:blush:

I say go for it ......Im sure you will be fine .try not to worry so much tends to make things worse .

Good luck x

breezy
27-01-2010, 09:57 AM
As Sarah says it is an uncertain job so it's hard to advise you.
If you feel you would regret not going for it then follow your heart, it's a very rewarding job, but financially if you need the security of a regular income that cant be guaranteed.

SparklingGems
27-01-2010, 10:54 AM
I have had alot of doubts recently that I doing the right thing. Although I have other reasons for becomming a childminder I want to stay at home and look after my baby son. Unfortunately I have spoken to lots of friends who are childminders and they have said to me that sometimes they are full, doing really well then- Some go to school, parents have babies and children start nursery and before you know it you have 2 mindees a few hours a day. There for your end up with a much lower income.

I cant really advise you as it has to be your choice. I hope you come to a decision thats best for you and your family.