PDA

View Full Version : What to refund when closed

Louise_Oaktree
26-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Hi folks - could do with some advice on the following:

I was closed yesterday for 1.5 hours as I had to go to an appointment that I couldn't take mindees to. I usually open at 8am and I was home for 9.30am. I even picked one of the children up as he was being looked after by his older sister who is at college and doesn't drive.

My daily rate is £25, I am open 8-6 and both mindees contracted 8-6 but never actually attend 8-6. One mindee is 8-4 and the other 8-5.

I need to refund a proportion of fees off next months invoice but I have no idea how much. What would you do?

I was thinking 8-4 is 8 hours, £25/8 = £3.13/hr and refund 2 hours.

I have set my hourly rate as £3.50 but never really charge this as I have always charged a full day rate so I don't lose out.

charliegee
26-01-2010, 02:17 PM
I do on an hourly rate so not sure what is best but think what you say about proportioning your daily rate is best.

You can put it nicely to parents like "I want to ensure it is all correct for you so ....."and explain the breakdown for them - I think I'd be happy with that as a parent

sorry can't be more help hun! x

Mouse
26-01-2010, 02:23 PM
If the contracts are for 8am-6pm I would say that's a 10hr day, so works out at £2.50 per hour. You could then refund either 1.5hrs or 2 hrs. Personally, I'd say to parents that even though you were only closed for 1.5hrs, you will refund them 2hrs money... makes you look generous!

youarewhatyoueat
26-01-2010, 02:28 PM
omg a 10 hour day for £25!!!! thats a long day but as others have said £2.50 per hour, perhaps £4 is fair to refund. You never know they may say keep it!!

Louise_Oaktree
26-01-2010, 02:44 PM
£25 is the going rate around here, I opted out of doing an hourly rate as I seemed to get people wanting odd hours and it would mean I wasn't earning enough.

I am increasing to £26 from April which means an extra £40 a month for me :D

I don't really want to broadcast the 8-6 contract (even though they both signed it) as I am really happy doing 8-4/5 :D

I guess £2.50 an hour would mean they were only paying £20 instead of £25...

I'm so unsure what to do...

sweets
26-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Tbh i doubt my parents would expect a refund on 1.5 hours. i think flexability works both ways, i asked mine once of children could be picked up at 4.45 once instead of 5.30 as i had an appointment, there was no problem. if mine are 10 mins late i dont charge them as it doesnt happen very often and its usually genuine lateness and not lazyness! lol.

Louise_Oaktree
26-01-2010, 06:13 PM
I have deducted £5.00 and stated it was for 2 hours. I doubt they will question but I feel better knowing I have discounted them. One parent will probably just pay it anyway but I like to think I am fair.

Thanks guys for your help.