PDA

View Full Version : HAGGIS!!!

loocyloo
25-01-2010, 04:23 PM
woo hoo

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

5 children given haggis for tea ( along with 'neeps & tatties' plus sausage and peas and gravy )

and 5, yes 5 children saying its yummy and eating it all up!

i am so amazed, i just have to share!

i haven't quite told them what's in it, just it's a sort of scottish sausage ;)
( sorry all you scottish folk! )

Alibali
25-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Mine all liked it too, can't wait for mine for my tea!!!

LOOPYLISA
25-01-2010, 04:33 PM
Don't shout at me :blush:

Bleugh :panic:

Mollymop
25-01-2010, 04:34 PM
ummm..... yuk!!!!!!:laughing:

harrysgirl
25-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Liked the idea of giving it to the children but wasn't brave enough - great result!!!

Gizmo
25-01-2010, 05:06 PM
I have got my 3 having it too with sausages too incase they didnt like it and have got clean plates, the 2 big ones where learning all about Burns at school today. Cant wait to eat mine having chicken stuffed with haggis and tatties and neeps yum :clapping:

Helen Dempster
25-01-2010, 05:09 PM
I loved haggis, right up to when I fell pregnant with my son almost 4 years ago. I went out for Burns night when I was about 6m gone (I think) and was really really ill. The thought of it now turns my stomach :-( Just sausage and tatties for me now!

Happy Burns night to all you Scots :D

Pudding Girl
25-01-2010, 05:43 PM
Haggis is nice :)

Don't see what the big fuss about it is really, and I have to admit I had a row on Netmums once a few years ago with someone who was saying it was disgusting and horrible etc, but who admitted they'd never actually even tried it! :rolleyes: by all means have a go if you tried and then didn't like but until then, shut up lol

Huge pet hate of mine that is, sorry :blush: and I'm not even Scottish!!

But yes we are having haggis neeps and tatties for tea and so would mindees but nobody stopped for tea today :)

Alibali
25-01-2010, 06:02 PM

Don

Well, there you go, I thought you were! Learn something new every day:)

LOOPYLISA
25-01-2010, 06:05 PM

Don't see what the big fuss about it is really, and I have to admit I had a row on Netmums once a few years ago with someone who was saying it was disgusting and horrible etc, but who admitted they'd never actually even tried it! :rolleyes: by all means have a go if you tried and then didn't like but until then, shut up lol

But yes we are having haggis neeps and tatties for tea and so would mindees but nobody stopped for tea today :)

I have had it and no i don't like it :censored:

Bananabrain
25-01-2010, 06:13 PM
Have given mindees neeps and tatties in the past.
They weren't terribly impressed,but then some of the mindees I've had don't really know what vegetables are:laughing:
Considered the haggis and stood for ages in Asda trying to decide,but decided the ingredients were a bit worrying, so didn't chance it.

sweets
25-01-2010, 06:15 PM
never had it. what exactly is in it?

Pudding Girl
25-01-2010, 06:24 PM
Have given mindees neeps and tatties in the past.
They weren't terribly impressed,but then some of the mindees I've had don't really know what vegetables are:laughing:
Considered the haggis and stood for ages in Asda trying to decide,but decided the ingredients were a bit worrying, so didn't chance it.

err why?

do you know what's in sausages? faggots?

Heaven Scent
25-01-2010, 06:33 PM
I made a sort of Haggis for dinner today - 2 years ago I had children of a scottish mum and on Burns night she told me to just do mince, tatties, & neeps which is what I did and had intended doiing just that this year when I found a recipe for Haggis on a link on here so I decided to go sort of half way for a couple of reasong 1) I was having another minder and her children round for lunch to help us celebrate & not sure they'd eat it and 2) The recipe I found had a picture and it looked rather dry and to me haggis is probably like a cross between a sausage and white pudding texture wise so I bought minced lamb and some lambs liver and fried off some onions, then the mince then the liver and liquidised that then I made a gravy from the essence left in the pan and added ginger, black pepper, mixed herbs, Oats and a measure of whiskey - (only had Irish whiskey - sorry) - so it was more like mince meat in gravy (texture wise) but had all the Haggis ingredients per the recipe I found.

For pudding they had scottish shortcake, Snack was Scottish Oat cakes with cream cheese, & schotch pancakes.

Oh I also played a scottish music CD and put up small scottish flags and pictures of Robbie burns that I printed off 2 years ago and laminated. I did that before I found this website it took me hours to find anything but now I just pop on here and everything is at my finger tips.

I think I've done my bit to help promote Burns night for all you Scots on here!!!

I wish I could find a short easy scottish poem suitable for children written by Robbie Burns.

Andrea08
25-01-2010, 06:37 PM
I LOVE IT MMMMMMMMMMMMM with mash, butter and cheesy beans ohhhh want some now xxx

Alibali
25-01-2010, 06:40 PM
I wish I could find a short easy scottish poem suitable for children written by Robbie Burns.

How about this, we do it before our Burns supper

chorus:
Some hae meat and cannae eat
Some would eat that want it
But we hae meat and we can eat
So let the Lord be thankit

Lyrics by Rabbie.

fionamal
25-01-2010, 06:41 PM
My lot all love haggis, tatties and neeps. Must admit it was delish but I serve mine up win a red wine sauce so that the haggis isnt too dry and adds a little bit of flavour to it.

Have also done it with glayva or drambuie but cant use it when im giving it to the kids.

sweets
25-01-2010, 06:43 PM
never had it. what exactly is in it?

come on! somebody tell me whats in it :laughing: :laughing:

samgeordie
25-01-2010, 07:34 PM
mmmm haggis here for tea too, though my daughter is going through a picky phase and decided she doesnt like it anymore, i should eat more often than once a year, its very yummy

haribo
25-01-2010, 07:41 PM

its a sheeps liver and heart and something else yukky cooked inside a sheeps stomach its a veggies nightmare no offence meant to anyone :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic:

Gizmo
25-01-2010, 07:42 PM

1 sheep's stomach cleaned and thoroughly, scalded, turned inside out and soaked overnight in cold salted water.
heart and lungs of one lamb
1lb/450g beef or lamb
2 large onions, finely chopped
8oz/225g oatmeal
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp ground black freshly ground pepper
1 tsp ground dried coriander
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
Enough water to cook the haggis
stock from lungs

it does taste great honest :thumbsup:

loocyloo
25-01-2010, 07:45 PM

well, according to my packaging ;) its; lamb offal, beef fat, oatmeal, water, onion, salt, pepper, spices.

and i'm not sure exactly what it is cooked in, some part of animal intestine i am sure! (but you don't eat that bit!)

its really yummy ( and i'm not scottish either! ) DH wasn't that impressed when told he was having it for tea too, but he has just eaten it and said it was really good!

there you go ... 2 answers!!!!:laughing:

sweets
25-01-2010, 07:48 PM
bluer! heave! chuck! vomit!:panic: :panic: :panic:

sorry:laughing:

Gizmo
25-01-2010, 07:50 PM
bluer! heave! chuck! vomit!:panic: :panic: :panic:

sorry:laughing:

now you have got to try it is really tasty and i'm not scottish either :thumbsup:

sweets
25-01-2010, 07:51 PM
now you have got to try it is really tasty and i'm not scottish either :thumbsup:

tasty it may be, but i'm fussy. i even cut out the thin lines of fat out of a slice of ham. lol

Heaven Scent
25-01-2010, 08:04 PM
How about this, we do it before our Burns supper

chorus:
Some hae meat and cannae eat
Some would eat that want it
But we hae meat and we can eat
So let the Lord be thankit

Lyrics by Rabbie.

That is brill thanks - now wish I had my own computer so I could save it.

Twinkle
25-01-2010, 09:05 PM
I tried it, along with the kids, and we all loved it :thumbsup: (gave me terrible indigestion all afternoon though :( )

We had a Scottish flag up, a pic and info about Robert Burns, flapjacks and we had a haggis competition - the mindees all drew pics of what they thought a haggis looked like :D .

Amaranth
25-01-2010, 09:59 PM
tasty it may be, but i'm fussy. i even cut out the thin lines of fat out of a slice of ham. lol

I do that too, I hate fat on meat :panic:

But...............I love haggis, it is not fatty at all. It is gorgeous, really tasty :thumbsup:

I think most of the haggis you can buy in the supermarkets are not cooked in stomachs. They are in a plastic kind of wrapper thingy (good description eh!!! :laughing: )

The Juggler
25-01-2010, 10:03 PM
the veggie ones are yummy. i am not veggie but don't like the 'meat' version, am not keen on offaly stuffy but veggie version is fab.

peanuts
25-01-2010, 10:20 PM
i got the veggie one a couple of years ago and didnt like.
but then again nothing beats haggis, neeps and tatties. When we have it here it is the only meal that every one has the same and its clean plates all round.
my 8 year old at first wouldnt touch it as when asked what it was told her what was in it she turned up her nose until she tried it, now she cant get enough of it.

katickles
25-01-2010, 10:38 PM
The children here all ate it today, thats a 10mth old, & 2 2yr olds :D