PDA

View Full Version : help please - nappy rash

tashaleee
25-01-2010, 02:52 PM
Am hoping someone on here can give me an idea of something that neither I nor the parent has thought of.....

Child is 18months and teething (girl) - she has severe nappy rash to the point that some days it is almost blistering and bleeding, as well as being very red and spotty the rest of the time. Obviously the child is extremely uncomfortable and cries uncontrollably at nappy change time, particularly with a dirty nappy.

Mum and I have spoken at length to try to work together and have totally run out of things to try and I suggested posting on here to hope someone can help and she is happy for me to ask :)

Does anyone have any suggestions on what would help or what to avoid making it worse?

Twinkle
25-01-2010, 03:07 PM
Has the mother been to the doctors with her yet? The cause could be any number of things.

tashaleee
25-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Not as far as I am aware - she just thinks its teething and to be honest I have to agree with her as when she isnt teething there is no rash at all.... (so I dont think its down to diet or an allergy with washing powder etc)

Blaze
25-01-2010, 05:00 PM
I highly recomend Metanium (CAREFUL THOUGH IT STAINS)- you can buy it at any chemist or you can get it on prescrition:thumbsup:

Mcgons
25-01-2010, 05:13 PM
Not sure what creams you might have tried but my DS had bad nappy rash from both food and teething and the only thing that cleared it up was Metanium. The HV prescribed it to begin with, but didn't realise it was only about £3 to buy anyway from the chemist.

harrysgirl
25-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Fullers Earth Cream - have to ask for it at chemist - its fantastic, my little one also had blistering etc. which is scarey when it all appears so quickly - one nappy change there's nothing & the next they are red raw & blistering. This sorted out her rash within a couple of nappy changes!!
Its also really cheap so you can plaster it on! Highly recommended :)

Mcgons
25-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Sorry, paused in the middle of writing the reply so didn't see the other post saying the same thing!:)

haribo
25-01-2010, 05:28 PM
i think certain fruits can cause bad nappy rash off the top of my head strawberries ,grapes ,raisins , oranges . also a sensitivity to wheat so weetabix can trigger it too . x

carlen222
25-01-2010, 06:01 PM
I highly recomend Metanium (CAREFUL THOUGH IT STAINS)- you can buy it at any chemist or you can get it on prescrition:thumbsup:

exactly what i was going to recomend!!!! my son was bleeding with his nappy rash when wee, it was awfull!! i tried bepanthan, sudocrem, egg whites, notihing worked until metanium was prescribed for him. it goes on as a thick yellow clay like substance, bit whiffy too but honestly it is amazing!! only a thin layer needs to be applied at each nappy change. but yes it does stain if gets on vest etc but when its a bleeding sore bottom i didnt care if it got onto anything xx

beccas
25-01-2010, 06:04 PM

i had a mindee with same prob this was only thing that worked

mama2three
25-01-2010, 06:14 PM
another member here of the metanium appreciation society! it is amazing stuff !

solly
25-01-2010, 06:17 PM
I have always used Bepanthum and that seems to work. I would get the mum to take her to the doctors to have it checked out

skytvaddict
25-01-2010, 06:55 PM
Metanium for us too.

Although the pharmasist said that when it was bleeding and open not to put anything on it as it can be absorbed, recommended just a warm bath and open air as much as possible.

Good Luck

emmadines
25-01-2010, 07:07 PM

i agree (sorry have just seen this post:blush: )

francinejayne
25-01-2010, 07:12 PM
Metanium for us too. My eldest two never really suffered from this; unfortunately my youngest has terrible rash sometimes, he has raw weeping blisters, it looks so painful and he's hysterical when I try to change him. I took him to the dr who prescribed me metanium - it's ace!!! Within a few hours it makes a diffeence, within a couple of days it's completely gone.
I'm still battling with my son's, hopefully I can potty train him in the summer?!
x

Noodles
25-01-2010, 07:22 PM
Another metanium fan its magic:) :) :)

breezy
25-01-2010, 07:26 PM
Morhullin cream is also fantastic, it's a cold liver oil ointment no chemicals or additives, just smother area in it, works wonders. It can be hard to get hold of though, Boots do it, but you have to ask.

loocyloo
25-01-2010, 07:38 PM
another Metanium fan here! super stuff (also good for drying up acne!)

something i used to use was a drop of lavender oil mixed into a little bit of sudocrem. as well as being a healing agent, the lavender smell gets stronger when nappy is wet or dirty !!! but take care to use oil that is suitable for use on the skin.

the other best thing is lots of fresh air, and my health tutor at college used to say 'cover the bottom in raw egg white and leave them in the sun' ... can't say i have ever tried it!

sonia ann
25-01-2010, 08:13 PM

We used it all the time when I was nursing at Gt Ormond St....it is fantastic stuff ,I always recommend it to my parents.
It has a coal tar base to it which gives it a distictive smell. The smell takes me back to my childhood .....before the advent of steroid creams for the treatment of eczema, back then the only treatment was a coal tar paste applied to the sore areas. In fact my son was in hospital 20yrs ago and they treated his eczema with coal tar paste bandages.

ooh forgot to say we used to use beaten egg white on sore bottoms as well.....when it dries it forms a clear layer ...the protein is supposed to aid healing:)

Blaze
25-01-2010, 08:32 PM
We used it all the time when I was nursing at Gt Ormond St....it is fantastic stuff ,I always recommend it to my parents.
It has a coal tar base to it which gives it a distictive smell. The smell takes me back to my childhood .....before the advent of steroid creams for the treatment of eczema, back then the only treatment was a coal tar paste applied to the sore areas. In fact my son was in hospital 20yrs ago and they treated his eczema with coal tar paste bandages.

ooh forgot to say we used to use beaten egg white on sore bottoms as well.....when it dries it forms a clear layer ...the protein is supposed to aid healing:)

I used to have my excema treated with coal tar paste bandages when I was a kid!

Zoomie
25-01-2010, 08:45 PM
A good old dose of fresh air, will also help the situation, but it seriously sounds like mum should take LO to gP. Even if it is teething, GP can still prescribe something.

Also heard wonders of the fishy smelling one (cod liver oil).

Chell
25-01-2010, 08:49 PM
Wet wipes can make nappy rash much worse. I'd use cotton wool and water or a flannel rather than wipes.

The fact that it is blistering and bleeding I think she needs to take the LO to the dr. It could become infected or be something like Thrush.

Camomille (sp) tea in their bath or the water used to clean them is supposed to be soothing.

Gherkin
25-01-2010, 08:55 PM
Both of mine blistered and bled with nappy rash at teething. Nappy changing was awful as I felt like I was torturing them.

Best course of action for us was:

Leaving nappy off for as long as possible after changes.

Cleaning with water and cotton wool.

Dabbing dry before any creams applied.

No juice, only water for drinks.

Taking citrus out of diet when teething.

Metanium (blooming godsend).

The Juggler
25-01-2010, 10:09 PM
another member here of the metanium appreciation society! it is amazing stuff !

me too! magic stuff:D :D

Heaven Scent
25-01-2010, 10:26 PM
My two are 12 & 14 and I never heard of Metanium so must be newish - When DS got nappy rash (DD didn't get it) blisters and all I used to coat him liberally in good old fashioned Zinc & Castor Oil with an equally liberal coating of vasaline to make it water (urine & poo) proof and he would be clear within hours - I have used it on Mindees with parents permission and its been brill - all my parents whose children have suffered have found it brill and adopted the method - its also very inexpensive - I get the cream and petrolium jelly from Body Care its under £1.00 per jar.

I did take DS to the Doc and they prescribed Canesten HC but I didn't like the idea of using that on my baby especially as my other method worked.

sonia ann
25-01-2010, 10:28 PM
My two are 12 & 14 and I never heard of Metanium so must be newish - When DS got nappy rash (DD didn't get it) blisters and all I used to coat him liberally in good old fashioned Zinc & Castor Oil with an equally liberal coating of vasaline to make it water (urine & poo) proof and he would be clear within hours - I have used it on Mindees with parents permission and its been brill - all my parents whose children have suffered have found it brill and adopted the method - its also very inexpensive - I get the cream and petrolium jelly from Body Care its under £1.00 per jar.

I did take DS to the Doc and they prescribed Canesten HC but I didn't like the idea of using that on my baby especially as my other method worked.

I was using it in 1977:)

BeckenhamCM
25-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Hi,

Just to add to this, another metanium fan here. However, I often use metanium then apply a layer vasoline on top to make it waterproof, never fails no matter how severe the rash.

Ash x

carlen222
25-01-2010, 11:40 PM
Wet wipes can make nappy rash much worse. I'd use cotton wool and water or a flannel rather than wipes.

The fact that it is blistering and bleeding I think she needs to take the LO to the dr. It could become infected or be something like Thrush.

Camomille (sp) tea in their bath or the water used to clean them is supposed to be soothing.

im forgetting, i always carried a bottle of olive oil with me for changing my sons nappy when the rash was severe, its what we always used when changing nappies in yorkhill childrens hospital xx

Bushpig
25-01-2010, 11:49 PM
Another metanium fan here!!! :thumbsup:

littlestars26
26-01-2010, 10:31 AM
i would recomend matenium however my little girl was teething and had really bad rash like you are explaining and i took her to the doctors in the end and it turn out to be thrush. she mite be best of taking her to doctors

babydayz
26-01-2010, 11:16 AM
my son used to get very sore nappy rash, we used to just keep his nappy off as much as we could to get loads of air to his bum, bathing him a couple of times a day and we saw the doctor and he gave us some special cream i think it had antibiotics in it but i can't remember what it was called the only thing i can remember is that the cream was yellow and in a tube you only needed a small amount of it and it was fantastic.
I will try and remember what is is called but it worked a treat. :)

haribo
26-01-2010, 12:00 PM
my son used to get very sore nappy rash, we used to just keep his nappy off as much as we could to get loads of air to his bum, bathing him a couple of times a day and we saw the doctor and he gave us some special cream i think it had antibiotics in it but i can't remember what it was called the only thing i can remember is that the cream was yellow and in a tube you only needed a small amount of it and it was fantastic.

was it nystatin or something like that

sonia ann
26-01-2010, 12:06 PM

sounds like nystatin ...............the treatment for thrush

little chickee
26-01-2010, 12:54 PM
one more vote for Metanium - clears it up within a day. Also use it on my 12 yo sons eczema and my spots!

tashaleee
26-01-2010, 01:07 PM
Thanks everyone :thumbsup:

Will give all the comments to mum and let her decide her course of action - have personally suggested to her she tries metanium as that seems the most popular comment... am really hoping it helps :)