PDA

View Full Version : How do you plan your trips to the loo

Bendy
25-01-2010, 12:59 PM
Now I know you all go when you need to but I wonder how you supervise your mindees on these occasions

Are you allowed to leave a mindee unsuperivsed in a high chair whilst visiting the loo.

This was discussed at a course I attended on Saturday. I've always strapped my little one in to keep her safe whilst I visit the loo. However i've since been told that this is not allowed for safety reasons.

I'm due a grading inspection soon and obviously if I'm doing the wrong thing I need to put that right now before inspector arrives.

Also what do you do when the inspector is here keep you legs crossed because I assume we are not allowed to leave them alone with strangers.

Please help.

Twinkles
25-01-2010, 01:06 PM
Now I know you all go when you need to but I wonder how you supervise your mindees on these occasions

Are you allowed to leave a mindee unsuperivsed in a high chair whilst visiting the loo.

This was discussed at a course I attended on Saturday. I've always strapped my little one in to keep her safe whilst I visit the loo. However i've since been told that this is not allowed for safety reasons.

I'm due a grading inspection soon and obviously if I'm doing the wrong thing I need to put that right now before inspector arrives.

Also what do you do when the inspector is here keep you legs crossed because I assume we are not allowed to leave them alone with strangers.

Please help.

My playroom is as safe as any room can possibly be. As I'm sure is everyone else's on here too. I leave mine in the playroom and leave the loo door open so I can hear if it all kicks off :rolleyes:

In the past I have taken lo's to the loo with me but only because one threw a hissy if I left her. ( I think she worried about me :D )
I used to sit her outside the loo door and we would tap on the door to each other ( just so she could be assured I hadn't fallen in :laughing: )

As for Ofsted inspector they are CRB checked aren't they ?

venus89
25-01-2010, 01:07 PM
When I was inspected I had 2 LOs with me. One needed settling for a nap so I said to her ' normally I leave the other LO downstairs while I take this one up for the nap bacuse taking two LOs up the stairs at the same time [one wasn't walking at this stage] is dangerous. Is it OK to leave the baby downstairs with you and my husband, still within my earshot, or will I be marked down for it?' She said that leaving the baby was fine and made the most sense as far as she was concerned.

As for planning my toilet breaks I tnd to synchronise their naps so go when they're asleep. If I'm bursting I may go when my kids get home from school and will keep an eye on them for a second. Luckily I have a strong bladder! Our toilet is upstairs so right at the top of the stairs - if do go when they're awake and my kids are at school I go with the door open and they wait at the bottom of the stairs while I do so.

Straws
25-01-2010, 01:12 PM
I have a travel cot set up upstairs, the 2 toddlers are good on the stairs, I carry baby upstairs while toddlers go infront, place baby in travel cot upstairs the toddlers are made to wait on the landing outside the bathroom door behind the upstairs saftey gate. Then I take the two toddlers down holding hands and go back up for baby, cant think of any other way I can do it.

Straws xx

TheBTeam
25-01-2010, 01:13 PM
When i worked on my own i tended to wait until the lo's were happily engrossed and then nip quickly, my loo is at the top of the stairs and the stairs are in the living room, so often the children would come to the stairgate at the bottom of the stairs and look up, so i could see them but they couldn't see me!

Pain if you need a bit longer in the loo, but you could hear them still!

For got to say that i don't think you should ever leave them unattended in a highchair.

haribo
25-01-2010, 01:31 PM
very quickly :laughing: i have a downstairs loo and i do leave them playing -our house is open plan and i have a stairgate on and front door locked so they arent going to disappear :panic: when i get the new baby will pop her in the buggy or highchair . i can hear them so assume its ok ..

Carol M
25-01-2010, 02:00 PM
I am lucky that I have a downstairs loo which is off hallway. It really depends on which children I have attending as to how I deal with it. Most of my LO's are safe to be in the lounge whilst I spend a penny. I can leave loo door open and hear/talk to them same as when I am using changing station which is also in downstairs.I have a stair gate across the lounge door. I have used travel cots and playpens in the lounge for some children where I think needed. (Risk Assessment)
I don't think it's safe to leave a child unattended strapped into a highchair or buggy.
Carol:)

helenlc
25-01-2010, 03:12 PM
I am fortunate enough to have a downstairs toilet too.

I generally look to see that they are engrossed in something then I whizz off. They cannot get up the stairs as have a gate. I leave the door open and chat to them if they are chatting to me.

Mine are all 2 or just under. I was more wary when I had the 9 month old before xmas but only cos of the toddlers doing anything to him in my absence. But I never had a problem.

I tend to wait until I am busting and then go rather quickly!!! :blush: :laughing:

Minstrel
25-01-2010, 03:44 PM
then I whizz off

TMI :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

mushpea
25-01-2010, 06:00 PM
I just go when i need to, have a quick look first to make sure they are all behaving and not missbehaving then go, I also dont tell the kids i am going cause have done this in the past and it seems to be that cause they know i am not in the room then they play up.