PDA

View Full Version : i am thinking about home schooling my kids

honey
25-01-2010, 12:05 PM
can anyone tell me how i would go about it? how much it costs etc etc etc. They are 10 and 13. so i have 1 in junior school and 1 in high school

mamasheshe
25-01-2010, 12:07 PM
their is someone who home schools their kids on here i can't remeber who though i'll have a look at the thread they mentioned it in .

HomefromHome
25-01-2010, 12:09 PM
mmm i would consider this for secondary education too.... dont like the secondary schools in my area and the grammar schools are very oversubscribed. the seconadries are just too big now.

honey
25-01-2010, 12:10 PM
Yeah j have thought about doing extra work but without knowing what he is doing at school maths wise etc it's difficult to do. I am going to have to go the principal again

honey
25-01-2010, 12:14 PM
mmm i would consider this for secondary education too.... dont like the secondary schools in my area and the grammar schools are very oversubscribed. the seconadries are just too big now.

i am having problems with my lads high school, don't get me wrong he loves his school, every bullying problem is sorted out but ther is lack of homework he gets 1 piece of english homework a week thats it!!! nothing else!!!!

HomefromHome
25-01-2010, 12:15 PM
that cant be right! or good! i remember having 1 piece per subject at least once a week (so 11 bits)....

mamasheshe
25-01-2010, 12:15 PM
i've pm you xx

FizzysFriends
25-01-2010, 12:19 PM
He's enjoying the other aspects of school could u do some tutoring at home aswell?

My dd does extra work because I'm not convinced the school doing all I want but them I'm a fussy parent, lol

HomefromHome
25-01-2010, 12:24 PM
He's enjoying the other aspects of school could u do some tutoring at home aswell?

My dd does extra work because I'm not convinced the school doing all I want but them I'm a fussy parent, lol

i think this says it all bout secondary ed in this country - i know not all schools are bad but it seems so lax compared to when i was school!

FizzysFriends
25-01-2010, 12:55 PM
i think this says it all bout secondary ed in this country - i know not all schools are bad but it seems so lax compared to when i was school!

DD's school isn't a bad school, just not to my standard, lol. Not many schools are. I think the problem is the teacher is more like a friend and DD responds a lot better to old school schooling, she hates it when people break the rules and get away with it she also likes to be pushed with her school work.

Personally I don't think teachers have enough rights, they don't give the children their work back to correct because they don't want to upset them but at the end of the day the children don't then learn the correct answers.

Goatgirl
25-01-2010, 12:57 PM
can anyone tell me how i would go about it? how much it costs etc etc etc. They are 10 and 13. so i have 1 in junior school and 1 in high school

Hi Honey :),
I home educated my girls from age 8 and 14 respectively... You just have to de - register them from whichever school they're enrolled at. Legally it is a perent's responsibility to ensure that their child recieves an education "suited to their age, aptitude and ability". Mostly we hand over this responsibility to the state.

As for cost... I did it on practically nothing and found the best resource was the local home edders group who organised things to do together..
I found it difficult from an academic (i.e. qualifications) point of view, as you have to access and pay for gcse stuff... My youngest daughter went to college at 14 and did very well but we had to pay fees. the free stuff is only acessible from 16 yrs. One local home ed mum taught a group who wanted to do GCSE Drama, which worked well: because her own child was interested.

I'd find out as much as you can from people who've actually done it to see if its what you want to do. For me it was on eof the best decisions I think I ever made for my children, but it isn't for everyone and there are as many different ways of doing it as there are different people in the world. Its up to you!! that can be a bit scary :D

Here's a link or 2 to get you started.... I'd say find a group near you and ask them what's available, whether parents get together etc as a first step.

http://www.home-education.org.uk/

http://www.education-otherwise.org/

Whether you decide for or against: Good luck!!!

best wishes,
Wendy :)

jumpinjen
25-01-2010, 08:32 PM

Hi, I'm not far from you and there is a lot going on in the West Midlands educational wise..... pm me your e-mail address and I will send you the link to get HELM, which is a home ed newsletter put out via e-mail monthly with loads of groups and visits on, I'll send you the feb one which I've just had.... there's also a yahoo group for it which you could use to meet others.... for a good start there is a meet in the library in birmingham once a month which offers advice about getting started.... there is a web company that sells key stage boxes with all the books and curriculum you need if you want to try a formal ish route... let me know!!

jenni:)

Trouble
25-01-2010, 08:35 PM
I really wanted to do this but circumstances said no:(

there are a few ladies on here that do :clapping: :clapping:

i think you have to do whats right for your child:D

good luck with your decision:thumbsup:

Blaze
25-01-2010, 08:38 PM
You should PM Once In A Blue Moon & get her to post on this thread! Also posting to bump this as I know there are others on the forum who also home-school too...I just happen to have spoken to OIABM on this matter & know she is an authority on the subject!:thumbsup: