PDA

View Full Version : young mum and childcare tax thing!

louise
11-03-2008, 01:43 PM
Hi, Just had a call from the Nan helping out her daughter 18 1/2 looking for a place for a 17 month old. Two and a half hours a day 4 days a week.

Hours are still unsure as it will be possible me and nan looking after the child. I cant do one day as i do another job. The lady carried on as she thought that something could be sorted. I did say that that many hours wouldn't really benefit the child. Then i said if the wage covered my other job wage then i can leave. It doesnt but then Nan said that maybe i could have him all day one day. I also mentioned the childcare element of tax credits. They had forgotten about that.

Does it vary a lot? I know my mindees mum said they will pay up to £150 a week. I have a feeling i may be able to get the hours up as nan said she would like a day off. Also they need someone soon.

Also is it under 18 that you have to get someone else to fill in contracts?
Would like to get this one. Now i have to check all over my stuff as they are coming tom!

sarah707
11-03-2008, 01:58 PM
Tax credits will usually pay up to 75% of the childcare costs, but it does depend on how much the family earns, so you can't be exact, they will have to ring tax credits themselves and find out what they might be entitled to.

Sounds like the nan is wanting a break though, so they might find the money anyway.

Not sure what you mean about the age thing Louise...? Do you mean you are under 18 or parent? Whichever, I would ring Ofsted and check...

08456 404040

Good luck tomorrow! :D

louise
11-03-2008, 02:03 PM
Thanks Sarah. The parent is 18 and a half. I think ive read something before about contracts need to be signed by someone i think over 18. I just wanted to check that it was over 18 and not 19. It might be a NCMA thing.

It did sound quite hopefull as Nan said the family has been helping out and they want something perm. Fingers crossed for tom.

Noodles
11-03-2008, 02:21 PM
hi there tax credits will pay up to 80% depending on family income but to qualify you have to be working for at least 16 hours a week

louise
11-03-2008, 03:18 PM
Thank you. Mum is working full time i believe. Nan has fully hours by the sounds of things as on wed it will be from 11.30 but tom she finishes at 1pm.
i found what i was asking someone over 18 needs to sign contracts. So thats ok. I do hope i get this as it will fit in nicely and my mindee is missing my son whos at preschool all week. So he might have a play mate during some of the time. Umm 3 boys under 4!

Lou

sarah707
11-03-2008, 03:45 PM
Umm 3 boys under 4! Lou

My worst nightmare! :eek: I need at least one girl in the mix to keep me sane! :D

Pipsqueak
11-03-2008, 07:15 PM
My worst nightmare! :eek: I need at least one girl in the mix to keep me sane! :D

Oh lordy I am your opposite Sarah then - I can cope with boys better than I can girls!:D

Thats an interesting point about the age of teh person signing contracts - so what happens then if its a young mum who is 16 or so then - who signs (just out of interest!)

Rubybubbles
11-03-2008, 07:25 PM
Oh lordy I am your opposite Sarah then - I can cope with boys better than I can girls!:D

Thats an interesting point about the age of teh person signing contracts - so what happens then if its a young mum who is 16 or so then - who signs (just out of interest!)

i think (well in my area) the counci, as there is a teenage mums thingy here

louise
11-03-2008, 08:45 PM
I was thinking her Mum. Its strange i feel quite relaxed about it! Normally i'm telling Hubbie to do this and that ECT. I've never had two people come before. Did get paronoid when i told the Nan i was 24 she went 'OH' i didn't know how to take it so said 'Sorry' But she thought it might be nice for her daughter to have someone close in age. She then realised i was 20 when i had my son so started asking how i found it being young.

angeldelight
11-03-2008, 10:37 PM
Good luck with this Louise

Angel xx

susi513
12-03-2008, 10:47 AM
I think I read somewhere that if they're under 18 you can't take them to court for non-payment. So you need a relative to sign the contract and agree to be liable for any arrears.

Kelly
12-03-2008, 01:49 PM
Hi, like Susi said I am sure the countersignature is to do with not being able to persue under 18's for a debt, so you need to get another adult to agree to sign the contracts. I had a young mum before and her mum needed to countersign the contract.

louise
12-03-2008, 04:22 PM
Thank you everyone.

He starts on Mon:clapping:
Contracts are still to be signed as she needs to sort out what day she can have off. She is hoping to have fridays so i dont have to give up my other job. I know nothing is set untill signed but im still happy. Lovely little boy very happy.

angeldelight
12-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Thats great Louise

Hope you enjoy and have fun

Angel xx

manjay
12-03-2008, 08:00 PM

Tell me about it!! I am so looking forward to a new girl starting after easter

amanda xx

louise
12-03-2008, 08:42 PM
I like the idea of all boys i dont need to get any girly toys.

Just need to decide if i shall get travel cot now or wait untill the 4 weeks are up. Little one doesnt sleep well in buggy. No friends have one spare i can borrow for the 4 weeks i could try the childminding group.