PDA

View Full Version : Recipes

patevans
23-01-2010, 05:36 PM
I have been making my own meals lately but they are very limited as I am a rubbish cook so we seem to have the same over and over again, where do you all find quick and easy recipes?

Just watching come dine with me and really wish I could cook :blush:

Chatterbox Childcare
23-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Apart from a roast mine seem to love my chilli - it is quick to do and easy to do

Slow cooked cook 2 ionions, add 2 packs of mince, add 2 jars of homepride chilli sauce plus 1 tin red kidney beans and cook all day. Gret with rice and even better the next day

It is not too hot and I do not like spicy and so the kids eat it too.

PixiePetal
23-01-2010, 05:41 PM
I have loads of books and tried loads of recipes - shame my kids don't like much :rolleyes: I made lamb in port and cranberry in my slow cooker the other day - it was delish :thumbsup:

What sort of thing do you normally cook? What would you like to try? Maybe I could look up something if I know what sort of meal you would like to cook :)

patevans
23-01-2010, 05:49 PM
I have been making chilli, spag bol, lasagne, sausage casserole, shepherds pie (but have been using the packet mixes :blush:) and I have actually only just tried these after coming off the diet I used to eat ready meals and takeaways :blush:

I am not 100% on the taste of chicken yet but not sure how to cook it properly!

I just want to be able to follw an easy recipe for anything and cook it :laughing:

Chatterbox Childcare
23-01-2010, 05:50 PM
you off cd?

Try going to the liabrary and get some good housekeeping books

patevans
23-01-2010, 05:52 PM
you off cd?

No Debbie on day 6 today :clapping:

I meant coming off it last year - sorry for confusion!

Went into the charity shops for books today but didnt really see much :(

Chatterbox Childcare
23-01-2010, 05:54 PM
No Debbie on day 6 today :clapping:

I meant coming off it last year - sorry for confusion!

Went into the charity shops for books today but didnt really see much :(

That is good keep going - I am sure you are full of energy and not hungry now - worst bit over

patevans
23-01-2010, 05:56 PM
That is good keep going - I am sure you are full of energy and not hungry now - worst bit over

No Debbie the complete opposite - feel like complete :censored:

Went to town this morn and came home and went to bed :(

patevans
23-01-2010, 05:59 PM
you off cd?

Are you back on?

Mcgons
23-01-2010, 06:35 PM
I have been making chilli, spag bol, lasagne, sausage casserole, shepherds pie (but have been using the packet mixes :blush:) and I have actually only just tried these after coming off the diet I used to eat ready meals and takeaways :blush:

I am not 100% on the taste of chicken yet but not sure how to cook it properly!

I just want to be able to follw an easy recipe for anything and cook it :laughing:

We cook all this sort of stuff during the week and are only really a bit more adventurous when there is time or at the weekend. Try one of the food magazines (don't know if I can name them but the one linked to the TV broadcaster has loads in) or we get a lot of ideas from the free supermarket mags too. Tend to cook from scratch now though we always used to buy ready made stuff a few years ago - it just takes a bit of practice and you will be able to do it.

venus89
23-01-2010, 06:49 PM
bbc.co.uk/recipes have loads of recipes and you can type in the ingredients you have and they'll come up with a recipe to suit. If you're cooking from scratch then pasta is a good place to start - carbonara is simple and my kids love it, if you can make a basic tomato sauce for pasta you can just chuck in whatever's in the fridge to jazz it up.

Good luck. I had to teach myself to cook - I couldn't until my daughter was nearly 2 and I do tend to bring out the same old things too but it's lovely to cook something new and have it be a success.

Chell
23-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Have you considered buying a slow cooker? You can get a 3.5litre one under £15. The things you mentioned cooking are very easy in a slow cooker. Ideal as you can put them on and forget about them till you need to cook the past or rice. We are veggie but I use the slow cooker several times a week. For instance, yesterday I was on a course so dinner needed to be ready soon after I got through the door. We had a lovely Italian bean and veg soup.

You might find that if you go from eating processed/packet foods to homemade you might find your food quite tasteless as you are used to all the additives. I'm the opposite, we are used to eating more natural foods so I can't stomach the strong tastes of processed meals.

How about a potato bake for a simple meal? Just slice some spuds and cook (boil) till soft. Layer them in a dish with some fried onions and grated cheese and perhaps some sliced tomato on top. Bake this in the oven until the cheese bubbles.

LOOPYLISA
23-01-2010, 09:40 PM
Have you considered buying a slow cooker? You can get a 3.5litre one under £15. The things you mentioned cooking are very easy in a slow cooker. Ideal as you can put them on and forget about them till you need to cook the past or rice. We are veggie but I use the slow cooker several times a week. For instance, yesterday I was on a course so dinner needed to be ready soon after I got through the door. We had a lovely Italian bean and veg soup.

You might find that if you go from eating processed/packet foods to homemade you might find your food quite tasteless as you are used to all the additives. I'm the opposite, we are used to eating more natural foods so I can't stomach the strong tastes of processed meals.

How about a potato bake for a simple meal? Just slice some spuds and cook (boil) till soft. Layer them in a dish with some fried onions and grated cheese and perhaps some sliced tomato on top. Bake this in the oven until the cheese bubbles.

BIG slow cooker fan here, its on nearly everyday

Tatjana
23-01-2010, 09:46 PM
A really easy one which my kids and mindees love is a pasta bake:

put the pasta on to boil, put a tin of tomatoes in a frying pan on low heat add some herbs (oregano/basil), black pepper, garlic (powder if you want to be really lazy), add a little water if too dry. Add the cooked pasta to the sauce, transfer to a baking dish grate loads of cheese on top, bake on a medium heat for 15-20 mins.

You can make loads of variations: a meat sauce with beef or lamb mince, chorizo, bacon, mixed peppers etc.

You could also add veg instead of pasta, so a vegetable bake!

xx

Tatjana
23-01-2010, 09:52 PM
Roasted veg: sweet potato, squash, yellow/red peppers, courgettes, carrots, pop into a roasting tray, add lots of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and toss to cover.

Serve with cous cous.

xx

patevans
24-01-2010, 08:59 AM

I have got a slow cooker just never really used it, not sure on what I should out in it as well as amounts etc :blush:

patevans
24-01-2010, 09:02 AM

I used to eat take aways and ready meals, now I make my own using the sauces from packets etc - which I make up. I can honeslty say the ready meals compared to the meals I make now taste like :censored: My home made lasagne is out of this world....beautiful :laughing: