PDA

View Full Version : do you do a diary for every mindee under EYFS

newandlearning
23-01-2010, 01:17 PM
hi...

I'm finding I've got paperwork coming out of my paperwork :) ...
and am wondering if you all do diaries for every child under the EYFS..

I was thinking of just doing dairy diaries up until a child's 3rd b/day..
as I think my mindees over 3yo could easily tell their parents what
they are doing...

what does everyone else do? if you do update parents does anyone
do a sort of weekly newsletter saying activities/outings done by all
and possibly just use the diary to tell of milestones in development and
wow moments???

am feeling rather sad.. spending my Saturday working on paperwork..:blush:

beccas
23-01-2010, 01:20 PM
i do daily dairys for children under 2 then i stop, i also do a newsletter every term thingy iyswim

i put wow moments in their learning journal but i give child a sticker so parents know.

PixiePetal
23-01-2010, 01:23 PM
I do them up to 2 or 3 then will carry on if parent would like me to. It is very brief and a bit scruffy in the writing department :blush: but gives them a rundown of what we are up to and a place to write notes to each other, like nappies needed, meds to be given etc

singingcactus
23-01-2010, 01:28 PM
I don't do a daily diary at all. With the kids I have right now, one of them I am lucky they remember to put the kid in the car in the mornings!
This one will be leaving me soon, and at that point I will be having a new child and will begin doing diaries then. I am giving them the choice now if they want a paper diary or an electronic one.
I used to do a 3 way diary with my previous boy, who has left me for big school, with the nursery and parents which was really nice. He was almost 5 when he left but it was a good idea with this little guy because he was on the autism spectrum and had no communication ability, and with the multiple setting it helped mum and nursery stay in touch with each other.

Maguiresmonkeys
23-01-2010, 01:53 PM
I have done diaries which got sent home, but i found the parents didnt bring them back......gggggrrrrr. It costs me a fortune (as I make mine with folder and then print off my own sheets etc and photographs). So now I do a diary and the parents can have a look when they collect their child but they STAY at my house. I know it defeats the object really but Ive got so fed up of parents not turning up with them and loosing them.:rolleyes:

venus89
23-01-2010, 02:53 PM
I do - unless they disappear at the parents' house and never return. I know the over 3s can tell their family what they've been doing all day but they'll never remember everything and nor will I at pick up time. I also think it's a nice memento for parents - I remember the contact book being the first thing I looked at when my kids came home from [preschool. It's also evidence of involving parents as partners if you can encourage them to write in the diary too

patevans
23-01-2010, 02:56 PM
I am struggling to keep mine up at the minute, I have 4 unders 3's and dont seem to have time to fill them all in :panic:

sarah707
23-01-2010, 03:00 PM
I do a diary for all children up to 3 then I talk to parents about what they want me to do next.

I record their wishes and either carry on writing one or stop at that point :D

Mouse
23-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Yes, I do a diary for each EYFS child - daily diary for pre-school children, weekly diary for school children. When we get in from the school run we sit & have a drink and a snack & that's my time to write in their diary.
Most days I have 3 or 4 diaries to write up & it does take a bit of time. I keep doing it because I know the parents love reading them. If I didn't get such a good response from parents I'd probably just do a weekly diary for them instead.

amanda1309
23-01-2010, 03:42 PM
I do a diary for mindees till about 2. I will carry on after that if the parents want me to, but so far they all say no thanks.

georgie456
23-01-2010, 03:56 PM
I do daily diaries for under 3's. For the overs I do a much briefer sheet that is emailed over to parents.

loocyloo
23-01-2010, 09:11 PM
i do a daily diary until they start school!

its for my benefit as much as the childrens! i find it useful to look back at and see when we did something, or was eaten when etc!

i do a quick scribble at lunchtime, and then at snack/teatime.

i'm lucky, all my parents send them most of the time!

Daisy1956
23-01-2010, 09:26 PM
I do them up until about three children like to look at them and talk about what they were doing in the photos. We have shared some lovely moments doing this:)

Denise r
04-03-2010, 02:40 PM
Please can someone tell me up to what age are we obliged to diaries? I am sure there is some EYFS etc requirement for a detailed diary for under 3's?
I know someone who is having problems with a parent and at the moment she is writing (by hand) nearly an A4 sheet each day, which to me is well over the top.

Many Thanks

Denise:)

AliceK
04-03-2010, 02:44 PM
I do daily diaries for all my 3. The eldest is 4yrs. The mums love it. I put pics in there, brief details of things they've done and list all the meals / snacks they've had. Nappies, sleep times etc etc. The eldest loves his diary and will sit and look through all the old pics of things he's been doing :)

xxxxxxxx

Joannechildmind
04-03-2010, 03:20 PM
I have done diaries which got sent home, but i found the parents didnt bring them back......gggggrrrrr. It costs me a fortune (as I make mine with folder and then print off my own sheets etc and photographs). So now I do a diary and the parents can have a look when they collect their child but they STAY at my house. I know it defeats the object really but Ive got so fed up of parents not turning up with them and loosing them.:rolleyes:

Same here :thumbsup:

katickles
04-03-2010, 03:44 PM
I do diaries - I enjoy it & like to read back through them & look at bits & pieces they have done.

I would be really grateful if somebody was putting as much effort into a diary for my child as I do - IYSWIM??

miffy
04-03-2010, 03:54 PM
I do them for each eyfs child but they stay at my house and parent's read and sign when they collect

Miffy xx