PDA

View Full Version : First Tax return - please help!

louloulunchbox
23-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Hi Everyone, I'm new to this and wondered if someone would advise me. I became a registered minder in March 2008 but didnt begn working/registered as self employed until Sept 08. I'm just doing my tax return for 08/09. Do I do Sept 08 until 5th April 09 or a full year, up until Sept 09? Please help, I'm feeling completely paniced! Wishing I'd got an accountant now, but too late and need to sort it all myself. Als I just registered to do my tax return on line and I see that I need to be sent a user ID..which could take 7 days! Will I get a fine now? This is a bit of a nitemare! :panic: Thanks

beccas
23-01-2010, 02:53 PM
you do till end of tax year in april. I use ncma accounts book its so much easier as it all works out itself at the end of book. would recommend it about fine i have no idea. hopefully it will come before 31st jan i think thats cut off date isnt it.

SusieQ
23-01-2010, 03:09 PM
I'd give them - tax office - a quick call and tell them you are ready to file return - slight fib but hey - and ask them to note on your file that you are awaiting user id that way down the line if they fine you there is proof of the delay. New to this myself but not to self employment and i think they'd rather know. NCMA book good and if member its lots chaeper and easier method good luck

sarah707
23-01-2010, 03:13 PM
Tax year runs april to april as Beccas says... so you need to show books from the day you started earning from minding to the beginning of April 2009.

This year will then run April 2009 to april 2010.

Hth :D

carlen222
23-01-2010, 04:20 PM
best of luck to you!!! im dreading all this!!!!! xx

SandCastles
23-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Hiya - I'm still waiting for my activation key to arrive in the post, I spoke to the IR this morning they made a note of this on my account and re-assured me that they are normally taking 4 working days to arrive, so we both should have enough time to activate our account and submit the figures. I need to submit 2 months of accounts as I started minding in Feb 09. I am worried as I may not submit on time, but it is out of my hands. Anyone else in the same situation?

Chatterbox Childcare
23-01-2010, 05:30 PM
If your code still doesn't arrive then just call them again. I don't think that you will get fined as your return will show a loss

SandCastles
28-01-2010, 09:27 PM
Horray, my code arrived yesterday and I completed my first self assessment online - feels good to get it all done, I won't leave it until last minute ever again.

Pudding Girl
28-01-2010, 09:59 PM
If your code still doesn't arrive then just call them again. I don't think that you will get fined as your return will show a loss

Thats right, you don't get fined £100 for lateness if there's no tax to pay but for year 2009-2010 that will change I hear, you'll get fined regardless of if you owe them.

Glad you got yourself sorted SC :)