PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever think ...

Stanfield
22-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Do I really want to do this???

I dont know ... I thought I wanted to childmind as I get to look after my own two lovely boys whilst they are little. I get to work for mysself, do what I want, when I want, not too many hours etc. I also look after just one lovely little boy who is a pleasure to have. But still, something is not clicking ... I feel this may be something to do with my first OFSTED hanging over my head (been due for about 6 months now with still no visit) and maybe the nasty winter and being stuck inside a lot with the boys which feels like cabin fever for all of us.

I want to carry on whilst my boys are at home and not think about it untill they are both in school (3 years time). Although this is a long way off, I dont like not knowing what I want to do with my life!

My husband is on good money but (mostly due to me and the boys) we are living on the edge of going in the red each month. My husband works so hard and so long for our money and I feel awful that I dont really contribute that much.

However, when he retires (9 years time) we will have no financial problems and we want to spend time together and enjoy his "bounty" together.

But in the mean time ... what to do??? When the boys go to school I know I will be bored, I like to "do" things, achieve and be successful in what I do.

My husband has suggested I take a degree in whatever the hell I want which has made me think about photography (this is a passion of mine).

So I have two problems ... why isnt childminding clicking ... and how do I decide what to do with my life when I just dont know!!!

Sorry to ramble on, but just wondered if it just me???:crying:

little miss chatterbox
22-01-2010, 10:29 PM
all the time!!!!

I have been doing this for 3 years, my eldest is at school and my youngest is going in September.

But childminding isn't clicking for me either and I also have the same problem that I don't know what I want to do! It's a horrible feeling isn't it?

I'm sorry I can't offer you any advice but at least you know you're not on your own! If you find any answers, let me know!

Stanfield
22-01-2010, 10:37 PM
At last a reply ... was thinking it was just me for a min there!!!

I actually cried then ... because, yes it is horrible not knowing and I always feel that I am looking for something to do and wasting my life in the mean time always looking at "whats next" rather then just enjoying now!?

I seem to have fads where I think yes ... that's it ... only a few months down the line to change my mind!

Twinkles
22-01-2010, 10:42 PM
I think we all have times when we doubt what we are doing. As you said yourself the horrible weather hasn't helped.

Why not take a photography course at college ( night school ) and see where that takes you.

This job is not for everyone but it seems to me like you are not really unhappy just a bit restless.

nannymcflea
22-01-2010, 10:47 PM
It has been said on here before that childminding isn't for everyone and there's nothing wrong in admitting this.:thumbsup:

Can you give it until the spring, when it gets a bit warmer and you can spend more time out of doors? This time of year is depressing whatever job you are in.

Could you do a degree part time to occupy your mind whilst awaiting Mrs O?(which after it has happened never seems as bad as you think!)

Can you get out to toddler groups or find a childminding group to join? Or perhaps start your own?

I hope whatever you decide, you are happy.:)

Pipsqueak
22-01-2010, 11:01 PM
I will admit to having days/weeks where i think what the blooming hell am I doing - this weeks farce is a perfect example of where i could just quit.

BUT I do love my work and I am good at it and it works for me and mine in the main.

Test the waters with other things as Twinks suggests - an evening course perhaps

little miss chatterbox
22-01-2010, 11:08 PM
awwww bless ya i know exactly what you mean. I always wanted to be a journalist but it's too late for that now but I am exactly the same, I think of something and then just don't feel I am cut out for it (think it's a confidence thing) so just carry on as normal.

Keep your chin up, some days I think childminding is for me and it suits me and my family and then I have a week like the one I've just had and it makes me want to quit right now!

ORKSIE
22-01-2010, 11:28 PM
Its the time of year!!!! we all feel trapped, cos of the weather!

Come spring/Summer, we go out on trips and its the best job eva, we can go in the garden, get a tan:rolleyes: its the best job eva!!

I hate Winter, i makes me underestimate myself:huh:

come summer:excited: :happy banana:

Cammie Doodle
22-01-2010, 11:42 PM
Ah bless it is a lonely job, Im lucky I have a friend next door who is a childminder too, so that helps. Can I just say try and enjoy your time with your kids, because they will grow soooooo quickly. I stayed at home with my son and foster kids and now they are all grown up they all tell me how wonderful it was always having Mum there, all their friends Mum's worked outside the home.
Night classes sound a great idea so that you can have some you time doing something you love

Lady Haha
22-01-2010, 11:47 PM
As already said, childminding isn't for everyone and there's nothing wrong with that!

I started so that I could drop my son to school and pick him up and spend hols with him etc and earn a little extra.

Nearly three years on, I feel like I have finally found my purpose in life!!! It's like I was always meant to be a childminder, but I just had to wait til the time was right. When I look back at all the other jobs I've had, bar work, office work, shop work, it's like they were all just training me up for this! But I didn't realise til I had my own son (quite late, I was 33). Before I had my son, I had absolutely no interest in kids at all! I got broody when I hit 30 though!!! I have also always wanted to make a mark somewhere with regards to racism and other kinds of prejadice, but always thought I was just one little person up against a huge problem! Now I realise that I can make a difference by teaching children about diversity and hopefully they will take this to adult hood with them and pass it onto their own children etc.

Thats when you really know it's clicked!!!! Sorry to go on, but this all dawned on me a few days ago and I have been on a high ever since, realising I now know why I'm here!!! Deep I know!!!:laughing:

So, if you aren't feeling a click anywhere at all, perhaps your instincts are rightx

ORKSIE
22-01-2010, 11:59 PM
As already said, childminding isn't for everyone and there's nothing wrong with that!

I started so that I could drop my son to school and pick him up and spend hols with him etc and earn a little extra.

Nearly three years on, I feel like I have finally found my purpose in life!!! It's like I was always meant to be a childminder, but I just had to wait til the time was right. When I look back at all the other jobs I've had, bar work, office work, shop work, it's like they were all just training me up for this! But I didn't realise til I had my own son (quite late, I was 33). Before I had my son, I had absolutely no interest in kids at all! I got broody when I hit 30 though!!! I have also always wanted to make a mark somewhere with regards to racism and other kinds of prejadice, but always thought I was just one little person up against a huge problem! Now I realise that I can make a difference by teaching children about diversity and hopefully they will take this to adult hood with them and pass it onto their own children etc.

Thats when you really know it's clicked!!!! Sorry to go on, but this all dawned on me a few days ago and I have been on a high ever since, realising I now know why I'm here!!! Deep I know!!!:laughing:

So, if you aren't feeling a click anywhere at all, perhaps your instincts are rightx

:laughing: :laughing: I so know where your coming from.
i do have a "Click" sometimes esp this time of year i have to dig deep to find it, and I do! I found it today, me and my Mindee had a fab day.
Come Monday i may have to dig deep again:D
But the Spring/ Summer even autumn Months are so much easier IMO :D

Twinkle
23-01-2010, 12:04 AM
I don't mind the winter as a rule, but being housebound because of the snow . . . I bored myself silly!! :panic: