PDA

View Full Version : paying yourself for courses

PaulaR
22-01-2010, 01:08 PM
I had heard somehwere that any courses that are a legal requirement, ie first Aid. That we can claim an hourly rate and claim it back against our tax. For exapmle, 3 hours at course x £3.50 equals £11.50 we don't pay tax on.
Has anyone else heard about this?

helenlc
22-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Yes, you can claim your hourly rate for courses that are a legal requirement ie the first aid and ICP.

But you can claim for car mileage and babysitters for any other course you attend.

TheBTeam
22-01-2010, 01:37 PM
No I claim for babysitters but not for my time, will see if i can find something, although i would be surprised if we could, Debbies26 may be along soon and know off the top of her head!:laughing:

Alibali
22-01-2010, 08:43 PM
I had heard somehwere that any courses that are a legal requirement, ie first Aid. That we can claim an hourly rate and claim it back against our tax. For exapmle, 3 hours at course x £3.50 equals £11.50 we don't pay tax on.
Has anyone else heard about this?

Oh that would be good! Doing first aid tomorrow and next saturday total of 12 hours, so that would make a difference - after all it is work!

TheBTeam
22-01-2010, 09:24 PM
:laughing: still not found out anything more for sure, might have to call the IR unless Debbie has already!

carlen222
22-01-2010, 11:19 PM
let us know if you find out cheers x

Chatterbox Childcare
23-01-2010, 05:35 PM
I have never seen or heard of this and cannot find anything online to say that it is true. If you get confirmation please let us know

I am self employed and therefore not paid so my time is not an expense. Cannot see this being a true expense but would love it if it was

TheBTeam
23-01-2010, 06:18 PM
I have never seen or heard of this and cannot find anything online to say that it is true. If you get confirmation please let us know

I am self employed and therefore not paid so my time is not an expense. Cannot see this being a true expense but would love it if it was

I too have searched, I know expenses like babysitters etc are covered, but we cant even claim for the time to do our paperwork so would be surprised.

Tired
24-01-2010, 08:14 AM
I asked the IR this ages ago. They said yes, we could, but I didn't get it in writing.
I suggest you check with your local team.

In all honesty, I doubt that it would be questioned, as it is only the legal courses you can claim for. So (after ICP) it is only 12 hours every 3 years.

At £3.50 an hour that averages £14 a year, so not enough to alert the tax man to any problems.

PaulaR
27-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Helen,

Did you say you have to find out from the Inland Rvenue? I am asking because I am trying to become accreditied and you HAVE to do 24 hours training a year. That's a lot of £3.50's. Don't have a calculator handy. So would like to know. My accountant doesn't know, he wanted to find out where it is 'written down'

Tired
27-01-2010, 07:46 PM
I don't think you will get it for your 24 hours of training, as you don't have to do it to be a childminder.

It is not a legal requirement to be accredited, but something you are choosing to do.

Call your local IR team and they should be able to advise you.

Minstrel
27-01-2010, 08:14 PM
I called recently and it was No.

Only out of pocket expenses can be put through. Was told it is part of your 'job' and so you are paid through profit the company makes.