PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

thinkfun
22-01-2010, 01:06 PM
I had a parent come to see me today about the possibility of me looking after her children. It wasn’t until she was about to leave that she told me that next January she would be sending her children to private school as soon as the youngest child was 2 1/2, currently they attend nursery. Now she want the children to start at the end of April so the children will only be with me for 8-9 months.

My problem is this, although the money is good I don’t want to take any children on who are only going to be with me short term. Mum will be phoning me next week to let me know whether she wants to use my service or not. If she does, how do I tell her, that I don’t want to take the children on.

I wish parents would be more honest about what they require when they phone, would save us both wasting out time.

yummymummy
22-01-2010, 01:18 PM
This is a hard one, I personally have found that these days what with the years maternity leave, earlier nursery/school entry, flexible working etc etc that children do seem to stay with me short term. The parents seem to have "the bigger plan" all worked out and need a childminder for a years stopgap.
Several of my parents have not been honest enough though to tell me this when I took them on only the minimum 4 weeks notice, so at least your mum has been upfront.
Be honest with her and say you wanted a longer term committment and you obviously didn't realise that it would be short term until you met her or you could take them on and then advertise again after say 6 months in the hope that someone else will come along to fit in when they finish or if you did want to take them on you could say that you will be advertising for other more permanent children at the same time.
She may well not go for this anyway as would want the childcare covered but will probably go to another childminder and keep quiet about the 9 months only!!!
It all depends on how much you want the work I suppose.:thumbsup:

little chickee
22-01-2010, 01:29 PM
If you really don't want to take the child on just be honest and say that it is not practical for you to take on a short term contract.

If i was in this position i personally would take on the work but let the parent know that if during the 9 months i was offered a more permanant contract from someone else i would give her notice and make sure you put this in the contract.

If you are thinking about saying no anyway if she does go elsewhere ( and keep quiet about the short term!) you not really lost out on anything.

Tatjana
22-01-2010, 02:31 PM
I would take it on, you never really know what the future holds. You may take someone on that looks like it will be longterm but things happen and they may be with you for a short time.

xx

Trouble
22-01-2010, 02:38 PM
I would take it on, you never really know what the future holds. You may take someone on that looks like it will be longterm but things happen and they may be with you for a short time.

xx

i agree also you never know whats coming :D

babydayz
22-01-2010, 02:53 PM
I would do it as really you don't know how long people are going to stay with you anyway, and you will have plenty of time to find new ones, you could even make a waiting list for next year, i personally would not let that put me off but whatever suits you at the end of the day :)