PDA

View Full Version : Using Montessori

jumpinjen
22-01-2010, 09:15 AM
Hi,

:) Heavenscent and I were chatting about Montessori on another thread so I thought I'd start a new one!!

How do you use is in your setting.... do you just apply the knowledge and ethos, or do you have materials too.....

Jenni

sarah707
22-01-2010, 01:41 PM
I have taken some of heaven scent's ideas to use here.

For example, I put the children's cups on a tray (enclosed space) and they learn very quickly to return them to the tray.

I would love some of the resources, especially the sensory ones, but I'd best get saving first! :D

Heaven Scent
22-01-2010, 02:20 PM
I have some equipment - not much as its so expensive and numbers and space don't warrent the expense - you have to balance all things as this is my families home first and foremost not a nursery so I have to bear that in mind at all times. Then there is the fact that Montessori foundation (I wonder where the EYFS got that term from) is from 2.5-6 years and we as childminders at best would have a maximum of 3 children with us from 2.5 to 4/5years and they may not all be full time so its not cost effective to invest in too much equipment.
- Then there is the fact that with a lot of it, especially some of the Practical Life activities there are a great many small items which if left on the floor can be a choking hazard to younger children - we don't have separate baby rooms so its not possible to leave lots of the equipment permanently displayed on shelves for free choice.

Therefore, for our purposes its probably more practical to work by the principles and ethos rather than creating the actual physical environment - we need to use our imaginations and adapt it a bit.

Trouble
22-01-2010, 02:24 PM
it sounds good is there a link to read information??????:D

jumpinjen
22-01-2010, 06:07 PM
it sounds good is there a link to read information??????:D

I'm struggling to find a good link that will be relevant to childminding and early years without sounding completely confusing..... in implementing it at home, I go on the basis that encouraging independence in the child is the way forwards, so showing them how to wash their hands in a sink/bowl that is the right height is good, as is showing them how to dress themself and letting them do it, however long it takes without taking over and doing it for them!!!! Getting them to set a table with crocs and glasses and trusting them to be careful after showing them how to carry things, then allowing them to pour themself and eachother a drink, and serve themselves from dishes, wash up after etc. Allowing them to help in the house helps to give them independence and in turn self esteem.... a child with high self-esteem is a child motivated to love and care for them around her/him.

Boundaries are important.... a child needs external order for them to build an internal structure on which she/he will build all the experiences and knowledge that she/he will gain their whole life! these are ground rules, routines and security.... things in the same place, done at the same times, in the same way and consistency from adults around them.

As regards toys... i have blogged about why and how I choose toys and the criteria I use are based on montessori ideals.... the link is: http://little-blossoms-childminding.blogspot.com/2010/01/choosing-toys.html

Many of the ideas montessori had can now be found in the EYFS!!!!!

Come on Heavenscent, help me out here, you are experienced!!!!

Jen x

Trouble
22-01-2010, 06:08 PM
thanks will have a look:thumbsup: :D

Nix
10-02-2010, 01:50 PM
I'm still waiting for another chat with Heaven Scent...she hid from me when I saw her!:laughing:

I have a growing interest in Montessori and am looking into the training. I have a lot of Practical Life activities in my setting but I have them set up in the kitchen so if I need to restrict access I can!

I would love some of the equipment but it's about knowing how to use it and present it too...

bexcee
10-02-2010, 02:18 PM
That all sounds really interesting and something that I am going to look into more.

Thank you for sharing :)

sillysausage
10-02-2010, 03:04 PM
Getting them to set a table with crocs and glasses

:laughing: :laughing: sorry I'm picturing a table full of plastic/rubber footwear and children sat wondering how you use them to eat:D

I do like the montessori philosophy. I've got two books
Montessori Play and Learn by Lesley Britton and
Montessori Read and Write by Lynne Lawrence

They are both parent's guides and so the activities are perfect for our home settings. Play and Learn especially so.

Nix
10-02-2010, 04:10 PM
:

They are both parent's guides and so the activities are perfect for our home settings. Play and Learn especially so.

I've had them in my collection too!:D

Desi-101
10-02-2010, 10:58 PM
I think Montessori is wonderful and often refer to their website for ideas for my little boy, and I would love to have done the course with them but it is a bit expensive! wish our local council would fund this but have to dream on... :p

ajs
10-02-2010, 11:02 PM
:laughing: :laughing: sorry I'm picturing a table full of plastic/rubber footwear and children sat wondering how you use them to eat:D

lesley britton was my tutor at college but please don't ask me anything about Montessori as i trained in 1980 and have forgotten more then i learned.
although having said that when HS talks about Montessori it does come back but very slowly. i shall have to look to see if i have any of the books

loocyloo
10-02-2010, 11:16 PM
i trained in the early 90's and i foster independance the whole way through! making own decisions, etc, and routines, boundaries etc.

as its what i have always done, i hadn't consciously linked that EYFS was so very montessori :D

xxx