PDA

View Full Version : not sure if problem or not, bit long!

mushpea
22-01-2010, 07:16 AM
I look afte a child who turned 3 last week, he is still in nappies and although will sit on the loo when told too without fuss still dosent ask to go to the loo.
he also has 'odd' behaviour things, when he comes to mine he just sits on the floor in the same place with one toy ususaly a car if i try and play with him he just watches me, he will do crafts but i can tell by his face he dosent enjoy it, seems to be the texture and the feel on his hands,
yesterday when he came he plonked himself on the floor with a toy bus and kept driving it round and round himself, i decided that i would sit back and watch him (without him knowing) and see how long he sat there for, after about 20mins i went over too him and said would you like a different toy to play with? he said yes so we went over to the toy box and i said' choose which toys you would like to play with' then i sat back and watched again, he looked at the toys then went back to the same spot on the floor and started with the bus again, this time he played with the bus for another hour!! along time i know but i wanted to see if he would change toys on his own. we then had lunch and went to the toddler group where he picked out some vecihals and sat and played with them, he intereacted with anonther child and shared the veichals with the child then also got up and played with a couple of different toys.
question is should i be worried about the behaviour, it seems its only when were at home or at anouther persons house as he dose the same when we visit my freind who also minds and has children and the same at another minders house we go to. I know at home he has the tv on 24/7 but neither me or my friends have it on at all.
what do you all think?
oh and i have been recording this in his folder.

beccas
22-01-2010, 09:32 PM
i would mention to mum, this is behaoviour has autisc tendinscies(sp) and this is a wide spectrum but i would speak to mum asking if he does anything repeatedly at home, if he does i would suggest child development centre and a converstion with health visitor

Twinkle
22-01-2010, 11:53 PM
I have a 3 yo mindee with similar behaviour. When I am sat on the floor initiating play with him, he is fine. When I leave him to play by himself, he lies on the floor usually with a single toy.

I think the problem may be that at home he demands, and gets, 100% attention at all times and the television is on constantly. I don't think he knows how to play by himself - I only have him 2 afternoons a week and I have tried to stimulate his imagination but there is only so much I can do in such a short space of time.

This may be part of the problem with your mindee too. To set your own mind at rest I think you should speak to a health visitor for confidential informal advice before mentioning this to mum. I'm sure she'd panic if autism was mentioned.