PDA

View Full Version : A little worried about Child

patevans
21-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Mindee turned 2 begining of January, I have always been a little concerned about the way she walks (please dont shout at me but I dont know how else to explain this) she walks llike she is disabled but she isn't, she cant run and her co-ordination doesnt seem to be right, she always seems drunk when she tries to walk or run!!

She is babied (sp) by Mum...still has a baby bottle of milk at bedtime, still sits in a highchair, wont feed herself, has only just started interacting with everyone.

She has just been diagnosed with Asthma but Mum just mentioned she has to go back to the doctors for more tests next week which has made Mum think that the doctor is looking at cystic fibrosis (probably Mum looking too far into it :huh:)

She says lots and lots and has 2 older sisters that have just not let her grow up which is sometimes the case but its the walking.

What would you advise I do about this?

loocyloo
21-01-2010, 05:59 PM
i mind a 2 1/2 yrold, who runs/walks a bit like that ( i know EXACTLY how you mean!) she has impoved quite alot now, mainly i think, due to the fact that i 'walk' her alot, and she has alot of opportunities for physical activity.

LO is also babied at home, and i know mum uses a buggy ALOT when out.

no advice, just keep on taking notes, and maybe talk to mum, or at least ask mum what the dr came up with. i'm intrigued that mum thinks they are testing for cyctic fibrosis, when she has been diagnosed with asthma, but maybe they do go together? its just not one of the 'symptons' i am aware of.

good luck xx

patevans
21-01-2010, 06:03 PM
I am walking her further now because she older and the size of a 3/4 year old, she is usually in a car, being carried or in a buggy when with parents.

loocyloo
21-01-2010, 06:13 PM
maybe the awkward walking is a size issue?

my LO is very tall, and i don't think that has helped her.

x

mamasheshe
21-01-2010, 06:42 PM
my dd is 2and 4months and is the same she's not too babied she feeds herself walks small distances is still in nappies (maybe could be it is mindee still in nappies?)but she is the youngest in our house. But she's always a bit off balance don't know if it's because she insist on running everywhere! and she does still run like a toddler rather than a little girl don't know i thought this was pretty normal ??

caz3007
21-01-2010, 06:43 PM
She has just been diagnosed with Asthma but Mum just mentioned she has to go back to the doctors for more tests next week which has made Mum think that the doctor is looking at cystic fibrosis (probably Mum looking too far into it :huh:)

One of my mindies was also tested for Cystic Fibrosis when they were thinking she may have asthma, think its something they do now. Luckily it came back negative, but the mum was a panicy person and it freaked her out for a while

rachelle
21-01-2010, 08:17 PM
My son 'walks like he's disabled' - he is disabled but we didn't know that at age 2. He has very low muscle tone in his trunk and arms (meaning they bend and flop) and spasticity in his legs - this gives the impression of an odd, drunk looking walk and makes co-ordination hard. He also has asthma - not unusual with that combination of things. It is all very mild but at the same time quite debilitating now he is older.

If she is worried ask mum to ask Gp or hv for a physio referal. It's just the drunk walk that struck a cord with me. J is now a part time wheelchair user and never really made it out of a buggy...