PDA

View Full Version : Nursery Nurse v Childminding

deb24
21-01-2010, 03:10 PM
Just wondered if anyone has left childminding to work in a nursery or vice versa. If so did you prefer working in a nursery or do you like working for yourself?
I have seen a job in the paper for a nursery nurse in a private nursery & am in two minds whether to apply.
For those that might have read one of my other posts. I am waiting to get my NVQ 3 in Sept & then want to go on and become an NVQ assessor which won't be until middle of nxt yr. My NVQ assessor told me I cld carry on childminding while doing my A1 award & assess candidates on a friday for example. But I am not sure if I want to carry on childminding until then.
Decisions decisions. I don't want to make a massive mistake & be more unhappy than I am at the moment.
Any suggestions???

suzyblue
21-01-2010, 03:23 PM
I think it depends on what you want. I worked for a nursery before becoming a childminder and still have nightmares about it! :) The nursery wasnt run well and I finally left because of this. If its a well run nursery with good dedicated staff then Im sure it will be fine. I also worked part time for a while and felt I couldnt make relationships with the children as they changed everyday. It made me feel like just an extra pair of hands and not part of the team. I dont want to put you off though, as this was almost 20 years ago and Im sure nurserys are run better now. I would apply and then if short listed have a look at the setting, ask about staff turnover etc and if you like the setting go for it. Good Luck!

Tink
21-01-2010, 04:05 PM
I worked in a nursery for 9 years. Fell pregnant with my daughter and decided to become a childminder.
I have never regretted the decision and love being my own boss and I am very proud of myself for just being graded "Good"

I think it's a personal thing but I definately wouldn't want to go back

little miss chatterbox
21-01-2010, 04:12 PM
i'm thinking of doing it leaving childminding and going to nursery/preshool

I hate the stress I put on myself of trying to be perfect, feeling constantly judged by people and worrying about ofsted! I know I'll always have that worry but at least the buck wont stop with me!

Don't know if I will do it yet but am tempted!

Good luck with whatever you decide and let us know!

Kes
21-01-2010, 04:30 PM
I worked in nurseries before I became a childminder and at the moment I prefer minding but I did enjoy working in nurseries. I like that in a nursery you have company and other people to bounce ideas off and that you get a lunch break. On the other side you mostly have a female only environment in a nursery and you can imagine how that gets at times. I also found that I quite often did'nt like the way some of the managers run the nurseries but you have to put up with it and do things their way. I love the fact that with minding its my business done my way.
Could you keep your registration whilst you tried working at a nursery for a bit say give it a few months before you give up the childminding altogether. Or see if the nursery will take you on part time and work both for a bit till you decide which one you prefer.

janminder
21-01-2010, 08:42 PM
My daughter has done both and would prefer now to do childminding but she is back home and I can't share my facilities with her. She does'nt like the way the couple of nurseries she has worked in are run and also working with all women is not the best at times.

nannymcflea
21-01-2010, 08:56 PM
I'm deputy manager in a nursery, though still registered as a cm, and at the mo it's going great.(though need more hours!) The extra unpaid hours on top for staff meetings/planning meetings/compulsery 24 hours training are a pain though and I don't get a lunch break, or any break during the day.

The good points are working with a great team, very dedicated, friendly staff.
Small nursery with a max of 20 kids.
Having an input in the planning.
Instigating the running of the EYFS/obs/learning journals etc.

Bad points, not many staff so we do a lot, including cleaning.
Not being my own boss, as such and having a more rigid time scale.:blush:
Having to drive to work.
No breaks( and until I started, no tea or coffee!:eek: )

I would go back to cm but my girls and hubby are happy with me not doing this so it looks like I'm here for a while.

Twinkles
21-01-2010, 09:42 PM
I have worked in nurseries and creches. I didn't like it !

I love the job I'm doing now :thumbsup:

Mrs.L.C
22-01-2010, 10:38 AM
Iv had days where iv thought about working back in a nuresrey but the cons outway the pros over childminding. I worked in a nursery for almost 2 years before childminding and did not agree with they way they worked and not being listend to so I left and feel its the best thing iv ever done even when I do ghet the stressful days

Working in a nursery pros - having more than one of you, planing &obs can be done more easily or already done for you, no mess in my own home and having the company all the time

But the cons -having to do what your told to do even if you dont agree, not being able to get out and about as much, I can pick my own child up from school, you can get alot of bi***ing in a nursery

I also dont like the idea of children being in the same rooms almost every day where as with a childminder the children can go to many different groups and on other outings

deb24
22-01-2010, 11:02 AM
Thxs for all your comments. I think after a lot of thinking I have decided to stick with childminding as I do like the freedom of this job & don't think I would like working for someone else.
I will just have to keep busy so not to get too lonely.

Mrs.L.C
22-01-2010, 01:37 PM
I will just have to keep busy so not to get too lonely.

This is what I do - most mornings we go to toddler groups, adventure play areas, parks, other childminders etc and the kids also benefit from it. I think we would all go mad if we stayed at home all the time