PDA

View Full Version : Sleepless Night.....

igglepiggle
21-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Ok, so I'm a perfectionist. It's possibly both my best and worst character trait and it often causes me sleepless nights. I haven't had my post reg inspection yet although the inspector was really happy with everything in my pre reg inspection. I KNOW that everything is in place. I work really hard on the children's learning journeys, and am happy with my planning. Risk assessments are all in place and everything is going a - ok! My children come first network coordinator has said that some aspects of my provision are outstanding and I'm really pleased about that as I feel I've worked really hard. All of the children are really well settled now and get on well with what they are doing. They all seem happy and confident. However, one little lady, who is now settled nicely after initial 'teething pains' (quite literally!) is causing a few issues. She has real problems with her feeding. I am working really closely with mum and dad and we are building up a food diary of things that have worked well and things that have worked not so well. BUT...the only way she'll eat at home is off mum's plate. Everything goes on the floor to the point that I've bought a really durable splash mat and milton it before every meal and snack otherwise everything is wasted but she's starting to affect other children as well and they then throw their food on the floor too. I speak to mum about it but she is equally as stressed so it tends to upset her. When she is not here, every other meal and snack time is a dream and I feel so proud of myself, and the children, as they help to set the table and the 1 year old is just learning to clear up and likes to have a wipe to help wipe the table down afterwards. I would be so happy on one of these days if MRS O turned up but last night I tossed and turned obsessing that they would turn up on a day I have little lady. The thing is, when she doesn't eat, she doesn't sleep and then the afternoon can be really hard.
I'm sure it'll all be fine - I realise ofsted are not monsters. Anyone else had this problem?

miffy
21-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Is it attention seeking?

Does she throw it on the floor and wait for you to pick it up and give it her back?

Is it just food she throws or is it part of a throwing schema?

Miffy xx

igglepiggle
21-01-2010, 02:45 PM
Thought about that one but no it's just food. She seems genuinly hungry and I feel like I've tried everything. She literally slams spoons away from her mouth and today we ended up with beans on my wall (beans are apparently her favourite). Finger foods get looked at and dropped. Breadsticks get a little nibble and then dropped. I don't think she cares whether I pick it up or not as often she just shakes her head at me. she will eat yoghurt and organix fruit puts although that's hardly a balanced diet! It's so hard as everything else is going so well and i find it quite disheartening. When she's not eating, or sleeping (mum tells me time and time again - yes she has 2 hours over lunch - although she never has for me) she's generally lovely and we get on with gorgeous activities together but it'd be ***'s law that Ofsted would turn up at a meal time - aaaaaargh!

miffy
21-01-2010, 02:52 PM
If Ofsted do turn up over a mealtime then you show them all your evidence (food diaries, chats with mum etc) of how hard you've been working with the parents to resolve this - that's all you can do.

The inspector will be more interested in how you deal with the situation than what/why it's happening.

Is lo old enough to help prepare the food?

Miffy xx

igglepiggle
21-01-2010, 03:52 PM
Thanks Miffy. Think I kind of knew that - just needed to hear it!! She's not quite 1 so not old enough to start helping yet although I have been trying to make the food look as exciting as possible!!! Any really great finger food ideas (that aren't soft - she prefers hard, crispy things like crisp breads, breadsticks) are are healthy would be much appreciated! C xx

Carpet Monkeys
21-01-2010, 05:13 PM
Thanks Miffy. Think I kind of knew that - just needed to hear it!! She's not quite 1 so not old enough to start helping yet although I have been trying to make the food look as exciting as possible!!! Any really great finger food ideas (that aren't soft - she prefers hard, crispy things like crisp breads, breadsticks) are are healthy would be much appreciated! C xx

How about making together some rice cake faces or is it a teddy bear rosti, cheese straws in the shape of a snake?

Or is a texture thing?

Carpet Monkeys
21-01-2010, 05:17 PM
Or perhaps, ask mum if you can borrow one of her plates and bring a bit of familiarity to lunch/dinner time!!

igglepiggle
21-01-2010, 05:26 PM
They sound like good ideas, thanks. I'm trying to think of ways of incorporating more meat veg into her diet. Might try to make some crunchy chicken strips or something this weekend and see how she gets on with those...

mushpea
21-01-2010, 05:41 PM
when shes thrown it all on the floor do you give her something else or is that it? even at this age they cotton on to the fact that if the chuck one thing they will get another and carry on till they get what they want

loocyloo
21-01-2010, 05:52 PM
have you tried having the meal earlier? i have a LO who is always tired out by midday, so she has lunch around 11ish! not ideal, as if we are out she has to have it where ever we are ( mum is ok with this! ), if at home, then i have to say, we all have an early lunch !!! ( and then a second lunch or snack a bit later! )

could you try ignoring it the food throwing? or sit her somewhere else? maybe on the floor?

good luck! xxx