PDA

View Full Version : storage for craft items

terrydoo73
21-01-2010, 12:14 PM
I have a three tier basket system on wheels which is really overcrowded with craft items and was wondering what I could do to replace it - anyone got any suggestions. I have been thinking of buying a drawer system in Lidl - it has 5 drawers which are see through and could hold the card, paper, stickers, pictures etc but I still would be left with a box for paint dabbers, a box for crayons and another box for little bits and bobs like snowflakes, stars etc. I just want something that I could easily lift and set on my table every day and put away again at night without too much hassle - at present my trolley is groaning under the weight of all the magazines etc that the children love to look through and cut out pictures from. Any suggestions anyone?

Tink
21-01-2010, 12:27 PM
I know what you mean. My creative cupboard is fit to bursting!!!!

I'd suggest you buy whatever suits you and works best in your home.

I have a cupboard which the children can access and that works for me:)

dobby
21-01-2010, 01:42 PM
I have an ikea toy chest which I have covered the top to make a seat. I control what comes in and out of the chest and littlies dont have a clue thats where the craft stuff lives :)

The older children do know and will take things out/put back with my knowledge - well they have to use table in kitchen/diner to do crafts so difficult for me not to really!

beccas
21-01-2010, 01:48 PM
oh that sounds good i like the chest idea how much was the chest.

carlen222
21-01-2010, 10:28 PM
ooh do you have a picture of it??

carlen222
21-01-2010, 10:29 PM
oh wait a minute, is it like a wooden chest but you mean the wee ones just think its a seat sort of thing? i was thinking it was a special seat unit lol xx

Trouble
21-01-2010, 10:29 PM
i have a 4 drawer one, and i use loads of little tubs for the bits and bobs:D

Monkey1
21-01-2010, 10:33 PM
My craft stuff has its own shed:blush:

jumpinjen
21-01-2010, 11:04 PM
I covered loads of children's shoe boxes with red wrapping paper, labelled them with pictures for what is indside and stored them on the top shelves of my shelving unit, away from little hands.... the children ask for what they want and i plonk it on the table and easy to clear up after.... I do have two sets of clear plastic draws, with four in each also, with craft items in.... one for ribbons and threads, one for glitter, one for sequins and stick ons, one for felt, plus a few baskets for things like the wool tops that we do felting with, fabric paints etc. it grows and grows!!!

jenni:)

terrydoo73
22-01-2010, 12:15 AM
Well I went and bought the craft drawer system in Lidl - £12 which I thought was quite good - would hold about a ream of A4 paper in each drawer and can be pulled out and in as needed. Now I need to find something similar for all the other little things like paint dabbers, glue sticks, scissors, crayons. I have a little craft box for all the things like snowflakes etc which can be closed so that is not a problem.

You see I have twin boys aged 21 months and I am trying to restrict access to certain items as yet because they could do a lot of damage! Just something that is easily workable is what I need.

I do have one of those 150 cd holders in a bookshelf type idea - I found certain ice cream tubs fit them and so have about 20 tubs labelled with everything from wool to paint. It is in my playroom and hung on the wall out of the little hands that might get it - although they are trying their best at present to climb up to it!!

dobby
22-01-2010, 12:15 AM
sorry ladies been out tonight. Yes its just the plain ikea chest like this one http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20078031 I have a cushion on the top so tis not too hard on littlies bottoms and its against a wall so they can sit and lean against if big enough.

Works a treat and holds everything i used to try cramming into drawers. I have lots of clear zip bags for brushes,pencils etc and plastic boxes with stamps and bits for sticking on.

miffy
22-01-2010, 09:35 AM
I bought some small sets of drawers from wilkinsons - both have 3 drawers and I've got different pens/pencils etc in one and glue sticks/sequins/stickers etc in the other.

They are small so fit on the table and mindees can help themselves. They only cost about £2.99 each so very reasonable

Miffy xx

HELEN10
22-01-2010, 12:26 PM
Hi can i ask what you stand your paint and glue bottles up in, trying to fnd also a solution to fit all and as they are quite tall want something suitable for everything?

HELEN10

loocyloo
22-01-2010, 01:58 PM
i have a cupboard with boxes in ... one for pens/pencils/crayons plus stnsils, templates etc, another that stores paints/sponges/brushes etc and another with all the collage bits in, glue and craft sets. oh and another box with playdough etc in. the top shelf has a big box of paper/card& stickers ...

but only i have access to this cupboard ;)

i have a low 5 drawer plastic tower thing that was being thrown out at DH's office that has paper/stickers/collage stuff/ plastic pots etc to put it all in and the bottom drawer for anything else! the children can help themselves to this, and then some pens/pencils/crayons/glue sticks/scissors etc live in little buckets on a shelf that the older ones can reach!

i really have too much :blush:

Lady Haha
22-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Lovely to read these posts as I thought I was the only one to have gone mad buying craft stuff!

I think I need a new room for my craft stuff! I could really do with a rethink on how I store it all! I have most of it in a six drawer thing with paper, card, scissors, glue, etc which I used to store up and out of the way and mindees had to ask for stuff out of it. As they are now all abit older, I brought it down and keep it on the floor now so it's always accessible to them. I also have four big drawers filled with craft stuff like stick ons, ribbon, wool, sequins etc, all in little tubs. One drawer is crammed with yog pots, loo roll tubes, small boxes etc for junk modelling. Trouble is, now they make stuff ALL the time!!! I need more room for storing the junk modelling stuff!

The only things that are still up and out of the way are the paint bottles and glitter!!!

I like the chest idea!

TheBTeam
22-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Well I went and bought the craft drawer system in Lidl - £12 which I thought was quite good - would hold about a ream of A4 paper in each drawer and can be pulled out and in as needed. Now I need to find something similar for all the other little things like paint dabbers, glue sticks, scissors, crayons. I have a little craft box for all the things like snowflakes etc which can be closed so that is not a problem.

You see I have twin boys aged 21 months and I am trying to restrict access to certain items as yet because they could do a lot of damage! Just something that is easily workable is what I need.

I do have one of those 150 cd holders in a bookshelf type idea - I found certain ice cream tubs fit them and so have about 20 tubs labelled with everything from wool to paint. It is in my playroom and hung on the wall out of the little hands that might get it - although they are trying their best at present to climb up to it!!

Sainsburys were doing a set of 4 pullout draws about the size of a ream of paper, they were in their stationery section and about £7.50, i have a couple, i keep paper and card in one and glue sticks, stickers, stencils etc in the other.

carlen222
22-01-2010, 11:27 PM
sorry ladies been out tonight. Yes its just the plain ikea chest like this one http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20078031 I have a cushion on the top so tis not too hard on littlies bottoms and its against a wall so they can sit and lean against if big enough.

wow 9.99!!! thats amazing!! never been to ikea, when i go the 6hour round trip to glasgow its only ever the clothes shops etc we visit lol xx