PDA

View Full Version : emergency contact cards

nell57
10-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Hi
I'm just making some emergency contact cards to carry with me for the minded children and I'm unsure which details I need to include on them.

Names (does this need to be full names)

Emergency (mum/dad) Phone numbers

Any allergies

Is there anything else I need to include

Thanks Helen

miffy
10-03-2008, 09:15 PM
Any other relevant medical history or details regular medication

drs name and telephone number

think there are some samples at www.bromleycma.org.uk

Miffy xx

nell57
11-03-2008, 06:39 PM
:thumbsup: Thanks Miffy

sarah707
11-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Mine are too long really, but I combine them with medical permission forms and just carry the whole thing in a poly wallet for the relevant children... so I have a note of emergency contacts (in order to ring them), religion if relevant, notes for emergency services (I looked after a child who wasn't allowed blood transfusions and noted that) and religion if parents want that added :D

Michelle M
11-03-2008, 07:02 PM
Thank you for the link :)

nell57
11-03-2008, 07:10 PM
Mine are too long really, but I combine them with medical permission forms and just carry the whole thing in a poly wallet for the relevant children... so I have a note of emergency contacts (in order to ring them), religion if relevant, notes for emergency services (I looked after a child who wasn't allowed blood transfusions and noted that) and religion if parents want that added :D

Thanks Sarah there is a lot to consider is'nt there

taiwallis
11-03-2008, 07:32 PM
hi there. ok , i have my emergency contact details on a file at home. for the car, i have little cards which has a picture of the child. It does NOT have the childs name, just first name of parents and phone numbers. The only reason i do it this way is that (learnt from another site somewhere) if the cards were to fall into the wrong hands, you don't want someone sinister having a photo of the child AND their name or the parents surname. (1+1 makes 10 to that sort of person). Mine are done so that if i have an accident and unavailable (in an ambulance or dead) the ambulance emergency people can glance at which child is in the car and call the relevant numbers on the card. I include both parents first names and numbers and emergency contact first name and phone number. Through a process of illimination i think they would work out that it was their kid in the car. Does this make sense or not?

sarah707
11-03-2008, 07:46 PM
Makes perfect sense to me! :D

Twinkles
11-03-2008, 07:50 PM
hi there. ok , i have my emergency contact details on a file at home. for the car, i have little cards which has a picture of the child. It does NOT have the childs name, just first name of parents and phone numbers. The only reason i do it this way is that (learnt from another site somewhere) if the cards were to fall into the wrong hands, you don't want someone sinister having a photo of the child AND their name or the parents surname. (1+1 makes 10 to that sort of person). Mine are done so that if i have an accident and unavailable (in an ambulance or dead) the ambulance emergency people can glance at which child is in the car and call the relevant numbers on the card. I include both parents first names and numbers and emergency contact first name and phone number. Through a process of illimination i think they would work out that it was their kid in the car. Does this make sense or not?

Thanks Tia. I would like to do some of these but was a bit unsure of having the childs 'photo and name on the card - a little too much information should they fall into the wrong hands. I did wonder if i was being a little paranoid but now you've said it too I think I'll copy you and do it this way.

ma7ie
11-03-2008, 08:00 PM
I have little cards for when I'm out stating that I am a childminder and the children with me may not be mine. The emergency contact number is for my husband who know's what children I am looking after and has their details with him, so there is no issue of information getting into the wrong hands.

nell57
11-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Thanks everyone loads to think about here, thats what I was wondering about full names, I like the idea about hubbies number as contact.

Helen

taiwallis
11-03-2008, 08:53 PM
the only thing to think about is if 'hubby' is in a meeting, or uncontactable for any period of time. these things will be used in an 'emergency' so time is of the essence.. i feel (my views only) if 'hubby' is not contactable the welfare still falls in your care. if you have the childrens details (edited as i have said) then the emergency services can contact the parent/emergency contact numbers. if any of them are unavailable then it really isn't your problem. i can promise you my husband has more to deal with (not saying yours doesn't) than to worry about which children i am minding on which day! hope this makes sense again?? xxxx

ma7ie
11-03-2008, 08:59 PM
the only thing to think about is if 'hubby' is in a meeting, or uncontactable for any period of time. these things will be used in an 'emergency' so time is of the essence.. i feel (my views only) if 'hubby' is not contactable the welfare still falls in your care. if you have the childrens details (edited as i have said) then the emergency services can contact the parent/emergency contact numbers. if any of them are unavailable then it really isn't your problem. i can promise you my husband has more to deal with (not saying yours doesn't) than to worry about which children i am minding on which day! hope this makes sense again?? xxxx

Ofsted were very happy with this when I had my pre reg so I'm not worried. Hubby is happy also and it doesn't take any time at all to look and see which child is with me during the course of a day. If he was in a meeting, there would be no problem in contacting him either as he has very understanding bosses.

nell57
11-03-2008, 09:26 PM
I'm lucky as far as my husbands job goes, he's contactable 99% of the time, so this could be a good option for me. I think i will talk to the parents to get their feed back as well.

Thanks again ladies

Helen