PDA

View Full Version : Help with planning & topics

Mcgons
20-01-2010, 08:27 PM
I only have 1 mindee under 3 and my dd who is just 1, so I don't really plan as such, just to expand on what they already like playing with. But sometimes I feel like we need to do something different or new and was thinking it would help if I had some topics planned to fall back on, but I don't know where to start, or really how many topics to prepare as I only have 1 mindee currently. We've been talking about the birds in the garden this week as I bought a new bird feeder so have found some stuff linked to that that we can do. So would it be best to continue like this and just build resources for a topic as it comes up, or prepare a bit in advance like following the seasons maybe and having a couple of topics a month to use?

sarah707
20-01-2010, 08:54 PM
It can be really useful to have a file of planned activities sitting waiting for the opportunity to explore them.

these are the kinds of resources you build up over time - and like you say your children are under 3 and you mostly follow their interests during their time with you.

I would say why not use this year as a planning exercise. Every month you could put together some ideas of activities which follow the seasons, special events through the year, things that the children our inspired to do like the example you gave of watching the birds and the ways you have extended their interests by doing some related crafts etc.

you will find your file invaluable next year when the child is over 3 and you are thinking a little more about how to structure his day.

Hth :D

Mcgons
20-01-2010, 09:19 PM
Thanks Sarah, got your planning and obs e-books which have been a great help. Just wasn't sure if I should be doing topics with under 3's but your reply makes sense and kind of what I was thinking so will start doing it that way. At least it will build my file up even if I don't always use it, as hoping to get more mindees anyway and they might be older!