PDA

View Full Version : I'm so...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Helen Dempster
20-01-2010, 02:45 PM
oh sorry, I nodded off there! Does anyone out there have any magical cures for a non-sleeping 3 yo boy? He used to be such a good sleeper, never had any problems with him, til about 3 wks ago. He still goes to bed at 7.30pm ish, which he's always done but now he doesn't want to be left, says he's scared, doesn't want to be on his own etc etc. He'll finally go to sleep, but only to wake at about 11pm - and that is literally it until the following morning (usually about 5am)! I've tried just about everything, the controlled crying was great (not!) as he just got himself into an hysterical state. Have taken him for drives in the vain hope he will fall asleep, but nope. Taken toys away...you name it. He doesn't even appear to be tired, even the following day he's still on the go (wish I was). I'm going to pop in to see health visitor tomorrow (couldn't get hold of 'em on the phone) and see if they can offer any help and advice. In the meantime though, can any of you (please), before I...ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Blaze
20-01-2010, 02:51 PM
Child proof his room, put a monitor in his room (walkie talkie type - so you can talk back to him), put a lock on his door & put a night light in his room (I used a rolling aquarium one)...I then basically left my son to it - he soon got the idea that I wasn't coming in - I found that he played then eventually went back to sleep (usually around 5am) - I could hear him (in the beginning if he cried i would talk to him, but wouldn't go in) I knew he was safe because the room was childproofed & the door was locked, so i could sleep IYSWIM....after a few months he went back to sleeping through:thumbsup:

mamasheshe
20-01-2010, 03:40 PM
keep taking him back to his room even if he's just playing in there that's what i do with mine and they do eventually go back to sleep.
Don't know if i'd feel comfortable with locking them in sorry Blaze bit extreme :blush:

Blaze
20-01-2010, 03:53 PM
Oh believe me - it was a last resort (& only done for a few months)...I also used a hook & latch lock as i wan't it to be v. easy to open in case of a fire....but in my case he was getting up then going back to bed around 1am - which was when I would go to sleep & whilst we slept around 3am was going wondering round the house - which IMHO was more dangerous than locking him in IYSWIM....It got to the point were i waas shattered going to bed at 1am, getting up at 4/5am, stressed because all evening was spent trying to get him back to bed & then I was scared to sleep - so that's how he came to having a lock on the door (& TBH I wish I had done it sooner - it worked a treat & quickly was no longer needed:thumbsup:

mamasheshe
20-01-2010, 03:58 PM
I've thought about this and realized my oldest had a babygate on her door until she was three it's the same thing really isn't it i put it on their so she didn't sleep walk and fall down the stairs but it kept her in her room sorry Blaze.

Blaze
20-01-2010, 04:07 PM
My son used to climb over the dog gate on his door (taller then a standard stairgate) - hence the lock....he had climbed out of his cotbed from the age of 1 but I used a crib tent to keep him safe - it was when he outgrew the cot at 3 that it all became a problem (& I was pregnant so especially tired)...my DS's nickname is houdini, as he is a master of escape!:rolleyes:

singingcactus
20-01-2010, 04:23 PM
I would try a night light, and changing the room around. Sometimes changing round can make the bedroom seems like a fun exciting place to be again, and it is a good chance for your little guy to see there are no goblins hiding in the corners :) Maybe even get some new cheap bedding, and a large clock so he can gauge the time and know that at a certain time you will be in for him (perhaps goodnight is seeming like a little too final this month).
Perhaps a torch he can have in his bed, or one of those glow worm caterpillar type thingies.
If it is a new thing at age 3, I would imagine that it will be a phase rather than long term. Good luck, hope you get sleep soon.

tigger
20-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Sorry I don't have a magic wand and believe me if I did I would use it on my two first. They don't go to sleep unless I'm with them and they get up during the night and I have to stay with them. It's a pain but I am trying to wean this out they are 6 and 11. I have started taking them swimming alot and it tires them out a bit but then they get crabby and don't want to wake in the morning. What a double edged sword. I must have been really nasty in a previous life!;)