PDA

View Full Version : 'care to learn' retainers

moogster1a
20-01-2010, 02:36 PM
does anyone have any mindees whose mums use the 'care to learn' scheme to pay? If so, are you able to charge a retainer, or even full price for holidays if they want term time only for their college?
Secondly, a bit cheeky, but do you tend to charge a little more as it tends to be paid in arrears from what I've heard ( and it's not coming out of the parent's pocket!)

Heaven Scent
20-01-2010, 03:32 PM
Is this money that comes from the job centre or is it from Student Finance - Student finance is only paid TTO and other childcare has to come from tax credits/job centre.

I would be careful about charging over and above your advertised rates if you advertise them on FIS (direct.gov/surestart childcare link) they may do a spot check!!!!

With regard to student finance you make the contract with the parent and it is up to them to pay you not the people they are claiming from therefore it doesn't matter if the parent is paid in arrears - my parent hasn't received a penny from student finance since she started the course on Sept and I still get paid every Monday regardless - I don't know where she gets the money from but she paid me like this before she was a student - when she was in f/t employment.

I don't know anything about being paid through the Job Centre sorry can't help there no experience of it yet but a friend of mine has and I'm sure she has had delays.

caz3007
20-01-2010, 03:51 PM
I get paid via 'care to learn', its not in arrears, it is in advance, get paid the last friday on the month for the next month.

I get paid in the holidays too. It did take a while to set it up, but they backdated it, so was ok and paid the next month even though it wasnt quite their usual payment. Payment comes direct from the 'care to learn' dept

I am not sure about the retainer bit, but think in the paperwork I completed, it was only 2 weeks and that was knocked off your first payment, cant be sure though as didnt apply to me, so didnt read too much.

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
20-01-2010, 03:55 PM
I used care to learn and I did charge more :blush: and I also got paid in the holidays as well, took a while to set up but never had any problems but I do know some people on here have had a lot of problems with them.

xx

RachelE
20-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Hmmm, dont het me started on caretolearn.... thats another story.

I have a lovely family currently with C2L.

I charged a retainer and I think it was about 6 weeks and was at £50 pw - I think they decided that price.

The mum from the family I care for is training to be a nurse and no 2 weeks are the same. I am holding a full time place, therefore I charge for a full time place.
The holiday retainer forms are sent out separately.

It is in advance - eventually after initial setting up. - But dont expect the money until you get it!

Good luck!
Rachel x

TheBTeam
20-01-2010, 09:58 PM
I have a young mum on c2L and I charge a slightly higher rate, simply because you are not able to charge any late fees etc, absolutely nothing is to be charged to the parents, and mine is often very forgetful of time!

I get paid monthly in advance and the time paid covers some study time for the mum and is paid for every week and includes paying for bank holidays, i think they do it for a set number of weeks and it may well need to be renewed at the end of the summer term, and a new application made. It was not mentioned whether the contract was term time or not and I try and work some of the school hols as being paid and it gives mum a break and time to so homework etc.

Sarah Louise
20-01-2010, 10:12 PM
I have had a young mum on care to learn for the last 3 years. Had no problems payment is in advance, it's term time only but they pay half price retainer for hols although it is agreed that i don't work the holidays.

I do charge slightly more than most of the other mindees but as someone else mentioned this covers all those extras that i don't charge them for like late pick ups, nappies that take weeks to arrive etc.

RachelE
20-01-2010, 10:32 PM
Sarah Louise,

I get full pay in the holidays for the retainer.
I think that they make the rules up for each case.
But, if you are happy with that, thats fine.

Rachel x