PDA

View Full Version : Do you answer the door in your PJ's?

pinklady
20-01-2010, 01:35 PM
One of my mindees parents seem to find it remarkable that I'm always dressed with hair and make-up done when they drop M off. They seem to think I'm amazingly disciplined to do that?? :rolleyes:

You wouldn't turn up at any other job in your jim jams though would you?

caz3007
20-01-2010, 01:38 PM
I am always showered, dressed and ready even when I used to start at 7.15. After all, you would have to leave your mindies unattended for some time if you had to shower and get ready

Nicky
20-01-2010, 01:41 PM
I wouldn't dream of not being dressed and ready when the little ones arrived, even when one sometimes arrives at 6.45am!!

aly
20-01-2010, 01:41 PM
if they ahve turned up earlier than contracted i have done as it was their fault...i did once as i got up late and the one son keeps ringing bell so its easier if i flydownstairs and let them in without wakign everone up...but no generally i am dressed.

TheBTeam
20-01-2010, 01:42 PM
I would never open the door to a mindee who was expected in my pj's, i think how can you be ready for work if you are not even dressed and would not expect this from any minder if i had to choose one, how can they supervise my child effectively if they have to go and get dressed!

I do know of a childminder who sometimes does this but i really dont agree with it no matter how accommodating the parents were.

AliceK
20-01-2010, 01:43 PM
I agree. I am always showered and ready by 7.20. First mindee arrives at about 7.40. I'm usually hoovering at 6.15am, lucky I've got a very understanding OH isn't it.
I do panic about oversleeping though. I mean if you have to go OUT to work then you could call in and say you're running late but when you've got parents knocking on your door. I'd be mortified if I wasn't ready and they arrived :blush:
xxxxxxx

Winnie
20-01-2010, 01:43 PM
You wouldnt arrive at the office in PJ's or sit on the till at Tesco in PJ's, and i would never take my doctor seriously again if she was wearing her PJ's at the surgery......think this parent needs educating on what the professional status of our job means :(

Pipsqueak
20-01-2010, 01:44 PM
I admit to having dodgy hair as I forgot to brush it!!! lol but never ever in my PJ's, how unprofessional that would be

haribo
20-01-2010, 01:44 PM
im always ready before i answer the door ,makes me feel much more in control .. used to have a 7 am start and just used to open the door in dressig gown as it was 10 yr old so would then go and get ready . one day his dad came to the door to tell me something and i was mortified - my hair was everywhere ,no make up etc and i vowed it wouldnt happen again :laughing: :laughing:

20-01-2010, 01:45 PM
I heard about a CM getting a visit from Ofsted after a parent complained about them being in the Pjs when the mindee turned up. Ofsted were apparently not amused and gave CM a right telling off!!!

venus89
20-01-2010, 01:45 PM
I wouldn't either - it's not very professional. But I know of other minders on my DHC who do this regularly

Blackhorse
20-01-2010, 01:46 PM
No never!!
but my dd is allowed to still wear her pj's or she might even still be in bed as they come quite early

i would open door in my pj's if they were early to make a point though!!:rolleyes:

TheBTeam
20-01-2010, 01:54 PM
No never!!
but my dd is allowed to still wear her pj's or she might even still be in bed as they come quite early

i would open door in my pj's if they were early to make a point though!!:rolleyes:

My children are often in bed and we try to get them to get dressed upstairs before coming down on working days, but they are 7 and 11 so are old enough to do this without our help.

I also tell my parents if they turn up early and the blind is shut then we are not ready for business, when we are (which will always be by earliest start time) then the blind will be open, if it isn't under no circumstances are they to ring the bell as my children may be sleeping!

babydayz
20-01-2010, 02:04 PM
I am always showered and clothed and ready to go, if you are in your pj's how can you be taking care of the kids properly and it does not look professional, i admit there have been a few times when my son has been in his pj's but that was when i was starting very early and did not think it was fair to wake my son up that early in the school holidays :)

PixiePetal
20-01-2010, 02:21 PM
I need the shower in the morning to wake me up! Never opened the door in PJs. Don't wear make up - one less job :) , but always dressed, checked house and ready for the day :thumbsup:

marian
20-01-2010, 02:27 PM
I did this morning!!:blush:

The door bell went and I thought it must be the red royal mail post van ,so off I trundled to answer the door ....... but it was 7.45 and my first mindee!!!!!:eek:

I mumbled something about alarms not going off and then had to get my kids up for school - they are supposed to leave at 7.50!:panic:

I don't think Parent actually noticed - all they said was E is wearing new boots (suede) and could she please not get them wet!!!:laughing:

Marian x

Mouse
20-01-2010, 02:31 PM
I'm always fully ready when the first mindee arrives, no matter how early their start time is.

We were discussing this at a childminder drop in recently & I was surprised how many minders do go to the door in their PJs. Their arguement was that if the parents want an early start, they have to accept that the cm won't be ready. My arguement is that if you are being paid from that time, then you should be ready.
One has a baby & school children arrive early. She sits them in front of the TV while she goes in the shower, gets her kids ready for school etc. I was really surprised, but she said parents are happy for her to do this.

Mollymop
20-01-2010, 02:34 PM
I am fully dressed, etc when the children arrive.

I have a mum who asked me the same thing - "why don't you just answer the doors in your pj's?"

I like to be ready, I would hate to get up just before they arrived. I would need to be able to supervise them and i couldn't do that if I had to wash and get dressed and put my make up on, besides my own kids need to get up for school. Though I do start work early at 6.30 - 7am!

carlen222
20-01-2010, 04:29 PM
oh i couldnt imagine not being ready when they come to the door!!!! i sometimes dont sleep at night for worry that i sleep in lol, i wouldnt even let the parents see my kids in their jammies, though if it was an expecially early drop off then id maybe not mind too much about them, but definatly not myself!!!! lol xx

mama2three
20-01-2010, 04:46 PM
blimey , i have to set the house up before they arrive - Dh wont have childminding overspill into our time - so all the notice boards etc to put up , toys to get out and all the rest. Usually takes me about an hour so have been up forever by the time they arrive. Although i must admit to sometimes still having wet hair!!! ( very long and straight and just comb it and leave it to dry itself!!) Ds is regularly running around in pjs or just pants!!

Lady Haha
20-01-2010, 04:47 PM
I do answer the door in my jammys for one of my mums!:blush:

She is a friend and has said it doesn't bother her in the least! She drops her daughter off at 6.45am one day a week. Her daughter is nearly 8 though and she goes straight off to my 7 yr old sons room to get him up while I get ready!

mamasheshe
20-01-2010, 04:52 PM
i think I'd scare people if i opened the door in my pjs especially if i didn't hadn't brushed my hair or sorted my face out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daftbat
20-01-2010, 04:55 PM
I do for two mindees sometimes - both are over eight and they come sometimes at 6.40am and given that i also work until 9pm for these same families i make the most of every minute i can have in bed. I would not do it for any child who was younger and indeed i didn't when these two particular children were younger. The parents have become good friends and have no problem whatsoever.

On the whole i have to be ready by 7am anyway as even if these children aren't coming i start around 715 - 720 each morning.

margaret
20-01-2010, 05:34 PM
my working day starts at o630 with first child i wouldnt dream of still being in pjs ,not at all professional,and i know my parents wouldnt like it ,they are washed and dressed and had a 20min drive.

amanda1309
20-01-2010, 05:39 PM
always up and dressed.
But DD (7) is another matter. Usually in bed or slobbing about in her dressing gown.

Ripeberry
20-01-2010, 05:55 PM
I'm a bit cruel to my two daughters one day a week. Mindee comes early one day a week (other times after 9am). I get my girls up by 6.30am and they are all dressed for school by 7.20am and then have their breakfast with mindee at
7.30am and then they have some playing time until we leave for school.
It's just that I need to give 100% attention to mindee and my husband does not get out of bed until we've left for school at 8.30am.

jumpinjen
20-01-2010, 06:29 PM
I'm always fully ready when the first mindee arrives, no matter how early their start time is.

We were discussing this at a childminder drop in recently & I was surprised how many minders do go to the door in their PJs. Their arguement was that if the parents want an early start, they have to accept that the cm won't be ready. My arguement is that if you are being paid from that time, then you should be ready.
One has a baby & school children arrive early. She sits them in front of the TV while she goes in the shower, gets her kids ready for school etc. I was really surprised, but she said parents are happy for her to do this.

She leaves A BABY to go in the shower???? How can she even think of this, this isn't safe supervision!

Jenni

AliceK
20-01-2010, 06:44 PM
i think I'd scare people if i opened the door in my pjs especially if i didn't hadn't brushed my hair or sorted my face out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Me too. Way too scary

xxxxxx

miss mopple
20-01-2010, 07:02 PM
I'm a bit cruel to my two daughters one day a week. Mindee comes early one day a week (other times after 9am). I get my girls up by 6.30am and they are all dressed for school by 7.20am and then have their breakfast with mindee at
7.30am and then they have some playing time until we leave for school.
It's just that I need to give 100% attention to mindee and my husband does not get out of bed until we've left for school at 8.30am.

I never wake my kids to be up before mindees get here. I refuse to ley my job impact on their sleep. In fact I shush the kids and their parents when they arrive and try to stand chatting in the hallway as I dont want them waking them up :laughing:

I am always up and dressed though :D

mum2two
20-01-2010, 07:52 PM
I have, and regulary did - but it was to 2 friends of mine... For other parents, I'm always up & ready. (One of my friends we'd been on hol with, so she'd seen me in my pj's before anyway!!!)

I was naughty in the snow though. Child normally arrives at 8am, but as it was so thick, I didn't expect parents to drive. I just thought if they did, I'd run upstairs & let DH answer the door. Can't remember why he didn't in the end, but i ended up answering the dor in my pj's at about 9.15am... :blush:

But no, generally I'm dressed before they arrive. My kids aren't, but then they shouldn't have to be! Although they normally run downstairs once they hear the doorbell!!

xx

Tatjana
20-01-2010, 10:19 PM
I'm dressed and ready when mindee arrives, but i don't see why on earth any other member of my family should be, it's their home they can wear what they like!

xx

Bushpig
20-01-2010, 11:08 PM
Wouldn't dream of wearing pjs when parents arrive, I often feel underdressed as it is in my tshirt and slacks!

I wore my sheepskin slippers for a few days as my foot was hurting and my soft slippers were the only shoes that helped ease my foot (we have wood floors)... I kept apologising to parents re the slippers even :blush:

mum2two
21-01-2010, 08:04 AM
floors)... I kept apologising to parents re the slippers even :blush:

I live in my slippers in doors! All the kids are taught to take their shoes off on the mat when they come in, so I couldn't then wear shoes indoors. One of the mindees mum actually brought me new memory foam slippers for xmas, so it would be rude not to use them!! :p

xx

emmadines
21-01-2010, 06:21 PM
I never wake my kids to be up before mindees get here. I refuse to ley my job impact on their sleep. In fact I shush the kids and their parents when they arrive and try to stand chatting in the hallway as I dont want them waking them up :laughing:

I am always up and dressed though :D

Im the same, I get the kids clothes out and they see to them selves with me running up and down the stairs like a yoyo, checking on all the kids... I wont get mine up early, i dont think its fair on them. (their 7 and 4)

pinklady
21-01-2010, 07:37 PM
Thanks all, good to know we're such a professional bunch and I'm not weird for wanting to be dressed to do my job :laughing:

My ds's are often in their pj's especially as ds2 is often in bed a little later. It's their home and they're only 8 and 3. It would be different if they were teenagers strolling around in their boxer shorts!

I'm always wearing slippers too, but I do have a particularly trendy 'fluffy ugg style' pair at the moment :blush:

LOOPYLISA
21-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Thanks all, good to know we're such a professional bunch and I'm not weird for wanting to be dressed to do my job :laughing:

My ds's are often in their pj's especially as ds2 is often in bed a little later. It's their home and they're only 8 and 3. It would be different if they were teenagers strolling around in their boxer shorts!

I'm always wearing slippers too, but I do have a particularly trendy 'fluffy ugg style' pair at the moment :blush:

You have fluffy ugg style slippers too :thumbsup:

janminder
21-01-2010, 08:33 PM
I am always dressed though has been a bit close sometimes, I live upstairs on an entry phone and there has been occasions when I have had to sling something on between answering the entry phone and them getting to the door.

ChocolateChip
21-01-2010, 09:23 PM
I wouldn't do it intentionally, but funny you ask because last week my alarm didn't go off one morning, I just heard a car pull up and had time to chuck my oh's dressing gown on (couldn't find mine in the rush!) over my pj's and get down to the door before they started knocking- at 5.50am!

( and yes, that was the contracted time so normally I would be up about 5.20 to be ready for them :eek: )

Annie_T
21-01-2010, 09:52 PM
no way im always ready tho have had few times where im tad late and kids have opened door to let mindee in and i come down as mindee gets kissed bye etc by mum (she comes in with her)

it does state soemwhere that you have to be ready and waiting (so to speak) before a mindee comes to you .. cant think where i read this thoo

coffee-time
21-01-2010, 10:14 PM
if the parents can get up early get themselves and children ready and be at my house by 7am, they why wouldnt they expect me to be ready when they get here? id never answer the door in my pj's, the first thing i do in the morning is jump in the shower anyway!!