PDA

View Full Version : Do you think I will get away with it?

deeb66
10-03-2008, 04:53 PM
I have been putting my thinking cap on (dangerous I know!!)

I get a little dissapointed that there are training workshops/sessions that are run during the week that I can't go on because I am working. :(

I do give up a lot of my free time going to training in the evenings and on Saturdays as well as attending committee meetings (as I am on Surrey County Childminding Association committee) and Childminding Support Meetings so it's not as if I am not willing to do things in my own time.

I was considering putting in the contracts that I would have 3 Development/Training days a year that would be fully paid.

I would of course try to get the training booked for a Friday as I don't work on a Friday but there are times that the courses are run on other 4 days of the week.

I would also undertake to give the parents at least 1 months notice that I require the day for training and give them confirmation that I have got a place on the course.

What do you think?

Do you think I will get away with it?

crazybones
10-03-2008, 05:02 PM
I do that on my contracts. I say 5 days per year at full pay in order to attend courses relating to childminding and the care of your child. ie it is in their benefit if I attend courses. Also promise to give 4 weeks notice - if possible.

Annie x

fionamal
10-03-2008, 05:05 PM
Its certainly worth a try. Theres alot of courses in our area that are generally run in the mornings from 9.30am and many cant attend due to this and so the ones that are run at night generally have a waiting list as they are so popular.

I had thought about implementing something like that as well in my parents pack but havent got round to it yet.

Good luck with it.

Banana
10-03-2008, 05:07 PM
Oh Dee - I think its a wonderful idea!!!!!

Definitly do it!! If you can get away with it!!

Let me know how it goes down and I might do it too :D

xx

Blaze
10-03-2008, 05:20 PM
I was thinking of doing something similar when my contracts are reviewed.
Tasha:)

Trouble
10-03-2008, 05:42 PM
i know a few people that do it parents dont have a problem with them so why not:clapping:

sarah707
10-03-2008, 06:05 PM
Depends on your parents Dee! I could just imagine mine! :laughing:

Def worth a try though! :D

Angela234
10-03-2008, 06:13 PM
Would be a good idea i'm on a course tomorrow not getting paid though

Angela

Rubybubbles
10-03-2008, 06:16 PM
worth a try, I know when I got reg the lady Joan Mason (part of NCMA thingy mbob) said she took up to 5 working days paid for training, if it's in your contract :thumbsup:

I've ogt 4 days coming up were I'm losing money:( because I've not been brave enough to do this, but I take 30 days hols so I don;t lose my 4 weeks due to training ohhhhhhhh got me thinking now, The new parents I have are good:idea:

Annie_T
10-03-2008, 06:29 PM
yea why not .. its your business hun and you need go to the courses to improve your service etc...

oakie dokie
11-03-2008, 06:38 AM
i dont think i could get time off unpaid nevermind paid! go for it dee, good luck

hazelx

angeldelight
11-03-2008, 06:48 AM
Dont think my parents would be very happy to be honest

But saying that if its a new parent and you told them that from the start then they would have no choice would they? They would think it the norm - say Ofsted like you to do them - which is true really

Go for it Dee if it works let me know I might do it myself

Angel xx

miffy
11-03-2008, 07:18 AM
I think it's a great idea if you can get away with it Dee

Let me know if it works and I'll think about doing it too

Miffy xx

ajs
11-03-2008, 08:05 AM
go for it dee
and let me know how you do as i would love to do that too
i know one or two of my mum's would be ok but can't imagine the other two going for it.

always worth a try though

jackie__1981
11-03-2008, 08:21 AM
When my son was with a childminder she had a couple of days where she went on training courses which I paid her for.

At the end of the day, it benefitted my son if she was well trained and experienced so I didn't mind.

I would write it into any new contracts for a few days a year.

Splish Splosh
11-03-2008, 09:16 AM
go for it hope it works and you get to do the courses. good luck.

susi513
11-03-2008, 11:27 AM
I was thinking about having one training day a term at 1/2 fees. But think having 3 a year is a better way of putting it in the contract, and I might try for full fees to. Most of the training we are offered here is at weekends, evenings but having given up several saturdays for various courses I was thinking of using the days not just for going to a training course but doing things like my Open University course at home. I have one day a week with just one mindee and others who don't come in holidays so currently I can pick days that don't affect many mindees and ensure that the days don't always affect the same mindees.

I do as Angel has suggested when I make changes like this I test it with new parents first. The existing parents stay on the lower cost as a loyalty bonus type thing until it comes to contract renewal, by which time I will hopefully have already explained the new arrangement/given out new policies/updated handbook & website etc so its not a surprise at renewal time.

manjay
11-03-2008, 11:35 AM
I think it is a good idea and definitely start with new parents. I have just signed contracts for a new mindee but was quite clear that I had to attend a meeting once every 2 months on one of the days she will be attending. The parent had a choice of the lo going into a creche with my son or finding alternative care. As I presented it if she wanted my services she didn't have a choice and she is more than happy for the child to go to creche.

amanda xx

deeb66
11-03-2008, 02:17 PM
Thanks very much for your input ladies.

I have decided to go ahead and as some suggest use the new set of parents as the guinea pig (advertising at the moment).

I always let the parents know what training I am doing in my monthly newsletters so they know that I am committed to my training and give up a lot of my free time.

To be honest 'my' parents are pretty good and I think that they would probably be in agreement as all training I receive would benefit their children.

I think I will broach the subject with them and see what they say.....they can only say NO can't they!

Michelle M
11-03-2008, 06:36 PM
I have it in my contracts, and I know a lot of childminders in my area, have days off to do training courses, or just have odd days off as holidays :)

Michelle x