PDA

View Full Version : Food receipts how long?

jelly15
20-01-2010, 08:31 AM
Does anyone know how long we have to keep food receipts for? I will be snowed under with them soon:eek:

Cheers

Pipsqueak
20-01-2010, 09:16 AM
The way it was explained to me is:

you keep it until the product has been eaten and 2 weeks after that - its so that the food is traceable and long enough for any 'effects' to show up

If you have got several items totalling over £10 on one bill - then to comply with the regs (ie you don't have to have receipts for anything under £10) then you mark the items and keep that receipt.

HTH

onceinabluemoon
20-01-2010, 09:20 AM
the pack environmental health gave me said keep them for at least a month (presume that means a month after food consumed)

grindal
20-01-2010, 11:27 AM
I keep receipts from my main weekly shop but often realise that I have lost the receipt for something I pick up in the local shops. Do people keep ALL their food receipts?

KAZBAZ55
20-01-2010, 12:59 PM
HI
HAVE RECENTLY STARTED CHILDMINDING & WAS WONDERING HOW MUCH DO YOU PUT THROUGH FOR FOOD EXPENSES? HOW IS THE BEST WAY TO WORK IT OUT AS I GET IT WITH OUR WEEKLY SHOP? ALSO I WAS TOLD THAT YOU DIDNT NEED TO KEEP FOOD RECEIPTS TO PUT THRU YOUR BOOKS IS THAT CORRRECT??? HELP ANYONE???
X:littleangel:

Blackhorse
20-01-2010, 01:05 PM
now i am confused.!!!!

i though we had to keep all receipts that are over £10 in case IR want to see your books.

i do buy arts and crafts but a big chunk of my expenses goes to food as they have breakfast lunch and dinner here....

how would you be able to proof to the IR you had all these expenses???

AliceK
20-01-2010, 01:48 PM
HI
HAVE RECENTLY STARTED CHILDMINDING & WAS WONDERING HOW MUCH DO YOU PUT THROUGH FOR FOOD EXPENSES? HOW IS THE BEST WAY TO WORK IT OUT AS I GET IT WITH OUR WEEKLY SHOP? ALSO I WAS TOLD THAT YOU DIDNT NEED TO KEEP FOOD RECEIPTS TO PUT THRU YOUR BOOKS IS THAT CORRRECT??? HELP ANYONE???
X:littleangel:

I was told this too. I haven't been keeping any of mine.

xxxx

Chatterbox Childcare
20-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Keep all of your receipts and put them with your books.

I re did my food safety last month and if you did give anyone food poinsoning and it got reports the Health Environment would be out checking your food and purchases. Food poinsoning could take months to grow and show.

Remember that if you are preparing/serving food you need to be registered as a food provider the same as restaurants do with your local council.

As to the way food is calculated - have a look back at the Bookeeping section and you will find a lot of threads and discussion on it

sarah707
20-01-2010, 02:39 PM
Keeping food receipts and keeping information for tax / expenses are 2 totally different things!

You keep food receipts for all the reasons Debbie has listed above...

BUT they are nothing to do with your tax.

You keep bills for toys etc for your tax as proof of expenses.

Hope this clarifies :D