PDA

View Full Version : Assistants and changing nappies

OrlandoBelle
19-01-2010, 10:19 PM
Just a quick question....

Are registered assistants allowed to change mindees nappies, or is it only the regitered childminder who is allowed to carry out children's personal care? Would we need to get permission from the Parents?

sarah707
20-01-2010, 07:41 AM
You know, I've never thought about that!!

There is nothing in the assistants information about personal care, one way or the other.

If you think about it though, if the childminder can go out (with permission in triplicate etc) then the assistant must be able to change them!

If you are concerned, I'd drop Ofsted a line -

enquiries@ofsted.gov.uk

Hth :D

Chatterbox Childcare
20-01-2010, 07:52 AM
I would say yes. If you ask the question "why not?" I couldn't come up with an answer and they are CRB and approved by Ofsted.

It's a small world
20-01-2010, 08:22 AM
Might be worth asking parent if they have a problem with assistant changing nappy , if its the one you were talking about yesterday she might not want your assistant to change nappy ???? I would say yes though but as already said if in doubt ask Ofsted....

tashaleee
20-01-2010, 09:49 AM
Must admit this one stumped me yesterday which is why I didnt reply :blush:

Logically if your assistant is CRB checked and first aided so can be left unattended then they must be able to change a nappy in your absence so therefore must be able to when you are present :laughing:

However, saying that my assistant is my DH and I always change nappies except on an odd occasion like Im busy feeding a little one or on the phone then he will just get on with it :laughing:

Chanelle
20-01-2010, 10:01 AM
Heya Aimie ,

At nursery the Nursery assistants can change nappies once they are CRB checked. I would imagine that this is true for Childminding Assistants. We didnt have to get permission from parents at nursery so wouldnt have thought you would need to in your situation. :)

OrlandoBelle
20-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Thats great. Thanks everyone. My assistant is also my husband and it winds me up when he says "urgh... someone's filled their nappy!" I feel like i'm the one having to do everything.... all their personal care, paperwork, etc and all he has to do is play all day!!! No wonder he loves this job so much! Lol.

As you say, he is registered by ofsted as an assistant and has been CRB checked and cleared. We're just waiting for a date for his first aid. I don't see why there should be any problems with him changing a nappy (apart from the fact that he'll probably put it on back to front!)

I will have great pleasure telling him he can share the nappy changing duties! :laughing: He will be pleased (not!!) :D

Chanelle
20-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Haha !! Excellent!! You go girl !!!

Let us know the outcome of that one lol !!!

Maybe you could give Ofsted a ring tocheck. :D