View Full Version : Do i let my children have the swine flu jab...

19-01-2010, 06:08 PM
...really undecided on what to do. Usually I think that risks are outweighed by the benefits but on this I dont know. Dont want my children getting ill from swine flu but dont want them to be vaccinated if they is no real reason for it.

What is every ones else thoughts positive and negative please?

19-01-2010, 06:12 PM
i've booked both my girls to have theirs i just think the minute they get a normal cold they end up with chest infection ear infection so i wanted to avoid the complications that could happen if they got the flu.

19-01-2010, 06:18 PM
my lo has just had 2nd jab today has had no reaction from first and so far non from this one, as mine has asthma i think she was better to have it as swine flu is bad but to get asthma on top is worse so for me id say positive go for it but its your choice and whatever you decide will be right for your family.:)

19-01-2010, 06:19 PM
No we won't be having it,

I had the flu jab last year, due to catching pleurisy and pneumonia from the flu :panic:

I just don't think there has been enough testing on this one, just my personal opinion :thumbsup:

Sorry i cannot be no more help x

19-01-2010, 06:21 PM
Ds has asthma and has been offered the jab.

He made his own mind up he didn't want it after reading reports of different complications.

Dd is not having it either. She had a heart murmur when small and I have weighed it up and decided it is not worth the risk.

It has been rushed through and I am concerned about reports I have read.

Hth :D

19-01-2010, 06:25 PM
my 16 yr old is having it but only because she is going to India in march and they are hot on immunisations there i wouldn't be pushing for it otherwise and my other two are not having it
hubby has been called but that;s because he has a heart condition and high blood pressure but i am not sure if he's going top bother though.

19-01-2010, 06:31 PM
My 2 ds who are 3 and 4 both had theirs before Christmas. I have asthma and one of them has mild asthma and they both tend to get chest infections etc when they get ill so thought they should have it. I felt if I could stop them potentially being seriously ill with it I would go for it. Although I must admit I had real trouble coming to a decision and even up to them actually having it I was still undecided and panicking a bit.

It is very difficult and you can only do what you think is right for your family. I am sure you will make the right decision.

Incidentally they only had to have one jab as they had stopped giving the booster at my surgery as the first one apparently gives enough immunity.

19-01-2010, 08:20 PM
I to was very undecided , but in the end I think if it wasnt worth having it they wouldnt be spending money on having these vaccines, and when my lo gets poorly she really does get poorly so taking no chances.

In the end only my 20 month old had it done as my 4 year old had a major screaming tantrum remembering her last vaccines , the nurse didnt have children of her own and just sat there with a shocked look on her face waiting for her to calm down, which would never happen!!!

19-01-2010, 08:32 PM
My youngest got hers on Friday she is 2 1/2 did have a will I wont I think about it but she has an inhaler for when she gets the cold so didnt want to risk it, she has been fine :thumbsup:

20-01-2010, 07:45 PM
my 4 yar old had it today x

23-02-2010, 12:24 PM
both my girls had it my mum works for NHS norfolk and we both did the research and decided as they both have weak chests it would be a good idea xx

23-02-2010, 12:25 PM
also meant to say they where both fine youngest dd had a sore arm for a day :( also they din't cry when they had it done bonus:D

candy cat
23-02-2010, 12:59 PM
No we have decided against it. My kids had suspected SF before christmas and then my daughter had suspected meningitus. In hospital I asked the consultant whether she thought they definately had SF and she said there are so many different strains of flu it is impossible to know.(unless tested) If My children had breathing problems then I would consider it,but we have decided against it.

23-02-2010, 01:28 PM
My youngest got hers on Friday she is 2 1/2 did have a will I wont I think about it but she has an inhaler for when she gets the cold so didnt want to risk it, she has been fine :thumbsup:

Mitchell has to have an inhaler to for when he gets a cough as it goes straight onto his chest. He had his swine flu jab before half term and was absolutely fine afterwards, he did have a sore arm the following day but that was it.

Whatever you decide Fussyelmo it will be right for your children.

Carol xx

23-02-2010, 02:02 PM
Myself and my son (age 4) have had this jab and we were both fine although son's arm killed him the next day.

I'm convinced the vaccine is safe but now I'm wondering if it's really worth having as you never hear of it nowadays. Then again they do think it will be around for a few years as the dominant flu strain so I guess it could all kick off again if enough people don't have the jab????

23-02-2010, 02:21 PM
I don't think we would have the vaccine. I don't personally know anyone who's had swine flu, certainly not confirmed, though many people I know has very severe colds this winter(poss flu, but what strain...who knows?).
The vaccine seemed very rushed to me, not sure how they could have done proper clinical trials.

23-02-2010, 04:05 PM
my daughters are 4 and 2 and they wont be having it.

My 4year old had tamiflu as they suspected she had swine flu back in Nov and they dont think that you can have it twice. so there didnt seem much point.

My husband spoke about our 2 yr old having it and we agreed that she wont be having it.

23-02-2010, 04:12 PM
I am thinking that my ds11 and dd7 probably wont have it, they are generally well children, dd had suspected swine flu back around October time and all passed without hitch so I think that i will err on the side of not having it, and taking a chance that they wont get it and if they do that having no complications of chest/breathing they will fight it off.

I think if you have a history of allergies/breathing/asthma then it may be different.

03-03-2010, 02:27 PM
i haven't had the jab for my 2 year old yet- i am still considering it though- need to make my mind up!
Stace x x

The Juggler
08-03-2010, 04:26 PM
my ds was offered. I wasn't keen due to the reports but spoke to my practice nurse. she's says she's seen few cases of side effects of the vaccine but has seen serious cases of pneumonia in those who have caught swine flu. She had seen 6 just herself in that surgery in the space of 3 months. That convinced me as ds has asthma and cuaght pneumonia already in September. He had the jab in December.

He has been fine so far, no side=effects.

31-03-2010, 07:56 PM
After lots of not knowing what to do, we decided for my LO (who is 3) to have her jab. She had it yesterday and we were told she may get a temperature for about 48 hours.... this has now come out!!!:( Fingers crossed that will be it. Such a hard decision to make!!!