PDA

View Full Version : husband as assisstant??

Marie-louise
19-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Hi,
Im thinking of looking in to making my husband my assisstant as the phone calls are increasing and I only have part-timers at the moment so therefore we would be able to take on more children. Are there many childminders who do this, and would you recommend it? As he is already CRB checked would it be a straight forward process?
Thanks.

Daddy Day Care
19-01-2010, 04:36 PM
I know there are quite a few women on here who work with there husbands.

I think its simple enough to register him as your assistant, but as your assitant he wouldnt be allowed to be left alone with the children??? He'd need to actualy register as a full childminder to allow this

I could be way wrong there but someone who has done this will be along shortly and answer you

Gareth
xx

Twinkles
19-01-2010, 06:14 PM
I know there are quite a few women on here who work with there husbands.

I think its simple enough to register him as your assistant, but as your assitant he wouldnt be allowed to be left alone with the children??? He'd need to actualy register as a full childminder to allow this

I could be way wrong there but someone who has done this will be along shortly and answer you

Gareth
xx

An assistant may be left in charge for short periods of time such as school runs if......

You get Ofsteds approval ( it must be in the childs best interests ie; the babies would normally nap at that time )

You get written permission from the parents

He has a pediatric first aid certificate

I was on the phone to Ofsted for ages yesterday and ....bonus ......he can do the school run if all those requirements are met :clapping:

sarah707
19-01-2010, 06:22 PM
You do not automatically get registered for more children - that is decided on an individual basis.

Also if you go over 6 children you must get planning permission from your local council which costs ££.

Hth :D

OrlandoBelle
19-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Hiya,

Just wanted to tell you that I work with my hubby. He registered as my assistant before Christmas. We had to apply for a variation to increase our numbers when he is working with me and we were granted 6 under 5's.... of those 6 we can have 2 under 12 months.

The enquiries were coming through thick and fast and in the end he left his job and is now working with me full time and we are full every day except for Fridays where we only have 1 space left.

I couldn't be more happier. We work really well together and it's great having that extra pair of hands. We take it in turns making the snacks, lunches and dinners while the other occupies the children. We have a pretty good system going.

The only thing we have struggled with so far is getting out and about. As I am expecting a baby of our own in May I'm not sure how we are going to manage with regards to pushchairs. We're still saving for 2 triple buggies and some buggy boards, but it's also having the space to store them all. We're thinking of having a garage built soon and transforming it into a playroom with space at the front for one of these 6 seater pushchairs http://www.earlyyearsresources.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2eearlyyearsr esources%2eco%2euk%2f&WD=hy59&PN=Push_chairs_and_Multi_seaters%2ehtml%23aHY59#aH Y59 but as you can see they're pretty expensive! Got a lot of saving to do!

At the moment though we have a great business going and we're looking forward to the future and expanding on what we can offer the children we look after.

I say go for it!!! :clapping: Good luck :) xxx

hayleychildcare
19-01-2010, 07:54 PM
I was thinking about registering my hubby as assistant and he was really happy to do this and he was even thinking about becoming a registered childminder himself if we got enough interest................BUT .................i then thought about it properly and decided that he would either be dead in a fortnight or we would be divorced in a month:laughing:

OrlandoBelle
19-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Lol Hayley... We hardly ever argue. I get frustrated that he doesn't take the job seriously sometimes. He is going to register himself soon and has booked onto a course in March. It aso REEEEEEEAAAALLLLY winds me up when he walks into the room and goes "Urgh.... someone's filled their nappy!" I just feel like shouting at him "YOU BL**DY CHANGE THEM THEN!" LOL. It feels like he's telling me how to do my job! I don't think assistants are allowed to change bums though are they? Or are they?? Keep meaning to ask someone on here that question! Would be great if they could! Mwahahahaha! That'd rub his face in it (not literally!!!):laughing:

Marie-louise
19-01-2010, 08:41 PM
Thank you all for your replies, especially aimiev1704 for being so positive. Going to see how things go in the next few months and do some enquiries, thanks x

MRS DOUTFIRE
13-11-2010, 10:29 AM
Lol Hayley... We hardly ever argue. I get frustrated that he doesn't take the job seriously sometimes. He is going to register himself soon and has booked onto a course in March. It aso REEEEEEEAAAALLLLY winds me up when he walks into the room and goes "Urgh.... someone's filled their nappy!" I just feel like shouting at him "YOU BL**DY CHANGE THEM THEN!" LOL. It feels like he's telling me how to do my job! I don't think assistants are allowed to change bums though are they? Or are they?? Keep meaning to ask someone on here that question! Would be great if they could! Mwahahahaha! That'd rub his face in it (not literally!!!):laughing: OOO this is so lovely my hubbie starts work with me on monday and im hoping its all goin to work out, his so excited about it all, where im not so sure, he spend the oct half term with me and 8 kids and loved ever minute of it lol, but did admit it was hard work, so eres to our new start wish us luck

Chimps Childminding
13-11-2010, 02:48 PM
Good luck all of you who work with hubbies/partners!!! There is no way in this world my hubby would ever work with me - just as well really cause he is a real grump and would scare the kids with his miserable face :D

I am lucky that I have June next door (another cm) and we get together most days as some point, so we also have an extra pair of hands. Plus as long as we are within numbers one of us will stay with mindees while other does nursery/school run (parents permission received) which also makes life easier :clapping:

Laura233
17-11-2010, 08:42 PM
Hi all,

I started working with my husband as my assistant in August this year and it is working really well.

Our variation to up our numbers went through really easily, we can have 6 under 5.

I think more people have chosen our setting over others because there is two of us and some also like to have a male present in the setting, especially for the boys.

We do get on really well, we did before we started working together so I think it is really important that you get on well, it can be really tough at times both working with kids and working with hubby at times, but on the plus side if hubby is doing it as a full time job he will understand the pressures and stress you have as a childminder so you be more sympathetic towards each other and understand what the other is dealing with.

Our business has gone from strength to strength and our 'buddy' (I only started childminding in July this year!) works with her husband as well, he quit his job 8 yrs ago and is a childminder in his own right (although she said she would keep him as an assistant if she was to do it again as you don't get anything extra having him as a registered childminder apart from double paperwork and inspections!)

My husband gave up a good well paid job to be my assistant and it is the best thing we ever did, we have a much better relationship now and due to the demand for childcare (we have one space on a Friday) we are better off than we have been financially for years... no more petrol costs to go to work etc.

If you get on well and think you would enjoy it lots of people do it succesfully!

Oh and yes he can change nappies... our rule is I do the paperwork he does the nappies!!

Good luck xx

Lesley P
25-11-2010, 10:35 PM
Hi all

i hope you dont mind me asking how do you work out the books ie do you employ him or what ? we are looking at working together but i am conerned about the paperwork side and dont want to get in trouble with the tax man. Do u have to pay him sorry all confused by it all :(

OrlandoBelle
26-11-2010, 08:36 AM
Hi all

i hope you dont mind me asking how do you work out the books ie do you employ him or what ? we are looking at working together but i am conerned about the paperwork side and dont want to get in trouble with the tax man. Do u have to pay him sorry all confused by it all :(

I don't pay my husband. He has a part time job in the evening just so get some time away from me(!) and works full time as my assistant voluntarily. :p
We have the same rule as Laura... he does the nappies and I do the paperwork:D

Graham
26-11-2010, 08:59 AM
I took redundancy and started working as Pauline's assistant, and its the best thing I ever did, I never realised what hard work it has been for Pauline over the years, I certainly don't know how she managed on her own before.

I'm not sure I contribute much apart from an extra pair of hands, I am more of an extra mindee :p , I love playing with the kids and to them I am just another playmate, in fact one of our mindees once asked when my mummy was coming to pick me up. :laughing: