PDA

View Full Version : Boiler risk assessment

newadventure
19-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Hi

When ofsted lady came out se advised me to add my television and boiler to my risk assessment.

I managed my television no probs. But what can I write for my boiler?

If it goes off then we could all get very cold

to make things better do w just put to get it serviced every year?

Thanks guys

Chatterbox Childcare
19-01-2010, 04:19 PM
I just say that it is low risk - up high behind a cupboard and serviced each year to keep at optimum

newadventure
19-01-2010, 09:44 PM
I was just wondering what the risks are eg carbon monoxide poisoning?
Do we need detecters?

Children and me may get too cold etc

any ideas please anyone?

Chatterbox Childcare
19-01-2010, 09:52 PM
I think you need to ask your boiler engineer on that one.

Mine tests the whole boiler, takes it apart, cleans it out and put it back together before testing it.

sarah707
19-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Is the boiler sited where the children might twiddle the knobs? This could lead to overheating on the radiators I suppose...

Like Debbie says you can talk about having a co2 detector in place.

Apart from that I'm wondering why she picked up on the boiler, it's not something that I've heard of before.

Maybe she just wants to see that you have acknowledged it on your general RA :D

newadventure
20-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Thanks for you replys

My bolier is behind a cupboard on the wall in the kitchen way above child height. She just asked me if it was in my risk assessment and I said no as I didnt think it was a risk since its out of a childs reach but she said to include it and its risks. :idea: :(

Pipsqueak
20-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Sounds like you got a picky inspector!

caz3007
20-01-2010, 12:42 PM
We have a carbon monoxide detector, had it way before started minding, just to be on the safe side. Hubby works for a plumbers merchants, so hears lots of horror stories

Chatterbox Childcare
20-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Thanks for you replys

My bolier is behind a cupboard on the wall in the kitchen way above child height. She just asked me if it was in my risk assessment and I said no as I didnt think it was a risk since its out of a childs reach but she said to include it and its risks. :idea: :(

Just add it into your kitchen risk assessment - no need to do one specific

Mrs Book
20-01-2010, 02:02 PM
We have a CO2 detector. Had this before minding & before children.

Our boiler is in the kitchen, high on the wall above the washer, so there is no way unless climbing that children could get to it. Also my kitchen has a gate on it so children are no allowed in there.

Didn't realise that you need an RA for your kitchen?

Chatterbox Childcare
20-01-2010, 02:06 PM
We have a CO2 detector. Had this before minding & before children.

Our boiler is in the kitchen, high on the wall above the washer, so there is no way unless climbing that children could get to it. Also my kitchen has a gate on it so children are no allowed in there.

Didn't realise that you need an RA for your kitchen?

You should risk assess for every room in the house.the garden, the car, your equipment, outings

Mrs Book
20-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Thanks. If it wasn't for you ladies I'd be lost. Not finding many helpful childminders around my area to talk to.

Chatterbox Childcare
20-01-2010, 02:12 PM
My advice to those I support is to go through the EYFS book (not the development one) and read what you need to do as it is all in there.

Pick a quiet time, cup of coffee and a highlighter and when you have finished write the policies/RA that are required. When doing policies I always advocate including both the "Legal Requirements" and "Statutory Requirements" so if things change in the future it is already done.

It does take a while to get everything in place (took me 4 months) as with any new business but once it is all done it runs like a train, smooth most of the time with a possible breakdown and derailment! :laughing: