PDA

View Full Version : minding under fives

estrelas
19-01-2010, 02:00 PM
Does anyone just mind little ones and no school pick ups?

Am thinking about going down the route of three under five

I currently have two under five full time and max numbers after school, and its getting me down a bit

The Juggler
19-01-2010, 02:09 PM
if I could afford it I think I would do without but all of mine are my grown up ex-daytimers and my own children so don't have the heart really.

I have two days with none after school (except 10 year old who is like family member) and it's bliss!

green puppy
19-01-2010, 02:10 PM
I mind 3 under 2's and stopped doing school pick ups. I found we had to cram in morning activities, lunch and sleeps to ensure the lo's were up in time to get to school. After school I found it difficult to get certain toys out with smaller pieces, couldn't spend as much time with my after schooler (4 yr old) and just felt so rushed all the time that I began to dread it. Much nicer now we don't have to rush everything!

estrelas
19-01-2010, 02:12 PM
I mind 3 under 2's and stopped doing school pick ups. I found we had to cram in morning activities, lunch and sleeps to ensure the lo's were up in time to get to school. After school I found it difficult to get certain toys out with smaller pieces, couldn't spend as much time with my after schooler (4 yr old) and just felt so rushed all the time that I began to dread it. Much nicer now we don't have to rush everything!

Thats how i feel
started to dread after school time but not sure how to deal with it

avril
19-01-2010, 02:15 PM
Yes I just do pre-schoolers and care for 3 aged between 2 and 3yrs old.

I chose this as my ds1 started school and felt he needed my time and attention without a house full of older children. He is now in yr 2 at school and I still only have pre-schoolers, it works fine for me.

My friend was the same she had a lot of school pick ups plus 1 pre-schooler but found it too much so now also just minds the little ones.

It is what works for you, it is your business and you need to be able to cope financially and without too much stress.;)

Blackhorse
19-01-2010, 02:15 PM
i have 2 after schoolers and 2 under 5s...plus my own dd
one of the school kids is the brother of one of the under 5s so I couldt get rid of that mindee without loosing the other lo

the other after schooler is hardly ever here but mum pays me every week...so I hardly notice her.

as for the time thing....it has worked out quite well so far but i also have a nursery pick up before luncht time so we have to go out 3 times..
bt they dont sleep anymore or only short times so that it isnt a problem going to school....

couldnt afford only under 5s especialy since my own dd is still only 2yrs old

Mouse
19-01-2010, 02:16 PM
As a rule I only mind under fives.
Over the years I have done pick ups for holiday cover, but that's only been for a few days at a time.

This year I am actually doing a school drop off & collection as the lo started in reception & I still have her younger brother. I agreed to it for continuity for them. He'll start school as well in Sept and I will stop having them both then as mum will rearrange her work hours.

I much prefer working with my under fives & feel this has always worked best for me & my family. My own children wouldn't have wanted children from their school here every night, but love the little ones being here.

avril
Thats how i feel
started to dread after school time but not sure how to deal with it

My friend who gave up her school pick ups gave notice at the end of the summer term so they has 6wks school holidays to find alternative arrangements.

katickles
Yep - only pre-schoolers for me too. I felt similar to green puppy :)

miss mopple
19-01-2010, 02:27 PM
This is an interesting thread as I am contemplating the same, mainly because I want to work less hours, especially once DD2 starts school in Sept.

But then I wonder about what to do when my pre schoolers start primary. I would feel awful just losing them as they are reception age :( The transition to school is hard enough as it is without losing their childminder as well.

If I stick to my littllies I could run a smaller car, which would save me a fortune in tax, petrol etc too.

DH would love me to cut down, we dont really need the after schoolers money tbh (I realise that is a lucky position to be in) but Im too soft to just let them go :blush:

Cammie Doodle
19-01-2010, 02:30 PM
No school pick ups just 1 @9yrs old a few night a week off the school bus (term time only) and 1 @ 8yrs Would dearly love not to have after schoolers but it's not that easy is it when you have cared for them since they were babies ?

estrelas
19-01-2010, 02:31 PM
My friend who gave up her school pick ups gave notice at the end of the summer term so they has 6wks school holidays to find alternative arrangements.

Yes this is an option that I have been looking at
Financially if you work out how much more i spend on the after school care etc,i don't think i'd be massively down
Plus its more than money, its about family happiness etc

estrelas
19-01-2010, 02:32 PM
No school pick ups just 1 @9yrs old a few night a week off the school bus (term time only) and 1 @ 8yrs Would dearly love not to have after schoolers but it's not that easy is it when you have cared for them since they were babies ?

hmmm i suppose i'd have to carry on but with not so many, I have about 7 in my house mostnights and its driving me insane a bit :eek:

miffy
19-01-2010, 02:42 PM
I just think I'd get too attached - what do you do when they go to school? Isn't it hard to let them go?

Miffy xx

Bananabrain
19-01-2010, 02:47 PM
Personally,if I could afford to I would have only school age children and no under 5's:laughing:
I love the after school ones and love having the bigger ones in the hols. I just find the little ones so labour intensive sometimes!
Some days it just seems like a big round of feeding, nappies and trying to get them to sleep!
Am I strange? or do others feel like this?
I would much rather do cooking,crafts,quizzes etc etc than change endless nappies and fill in endless daily diaries.

Mouse
19-01-2010, 02:47 PM
I just think I'd get too attached - what do you do when they go to school? Isn't it hard to let them go?

Miffy xx

Hard as it is, you have to let them go at some time :D

Mouse
19-01-2010, 02:50 PM
Personally,if I could afford to I would have only school age children and no under 5's:laughing:
I love the after school ones and love having the bigger ones in the hols. I just find the little ones so labour intensive sometimes!
Some days it just seems like a big round of feeding, nappies and trying to get them to sleep!
Am I strange? or do others feel like this?
I would much rather do cooking,crafts,quizzes etc etc than change endless nappies and fill in endless daily diaries.

I know a few minders who only look after school age children. One used to have 13 or more after school, so certainly made enough money from it. Plus, she had most of the day free. It wouldn't suit me, but she loved it.

haribo
19-01-2010, 03:19 PM
i only have one school pick up now who leaves in july as she starts high school in sept . dont think will take any more pick up on as have two 2 yr olds and one of their siblings starts next week so having all little ones for a change :)

singlewiththree
19-01-2010, 03:58 PM
I just have 1 school age I pick up along with my 3 as he is the brother of the baby I mind but I wouldn't have any if I could as I feel the girls want my attention after school and also the small bits problem. I don't feel I can provide properly for the older ones when the babies are still here. I just will ensure as well that future under 5's leave early!

carlen222
19-01-2010, 04:00 PM
my 4 mindees are 2 at 12 months, one at 15 months and the other 17 months. my sone just started mornings at pre-school and my daughter is in p2, and its great!!! i feel the same, if i had after schoolers i couldnt take out anything that would be of hazzard to the wee ones, also i think my daughter would be very put out if i had older ones as they would want to play with HER toys lol xx

PixiePetal
19-01-2010, 04:45 PM
I stopped minding schoolies when my youngest started senior school so I was not picking up my own.

I wanted to be home when they came in from school and with just pre schoolers here they go off to do homework/chill without older children wanting to see them.

It's lovely not having to turn out in all weathers :thumbsup:

In holidays I sometimes have older ex mindees back for a few days ad hoc and would be open to holiday only children.

With no under 5's of my own I can fill up with full amount of little mindees - if I can!

caz3007
19-01-2010, 05:00 PM
I couldnt drop my afterschoolies as my son 7 loves playing with them, especially the girl who is 9. I look after two pairs of siblings, and the older ones are 11 and off to High School in September, not too sure whats happening, but think they are still coming here. The younger pair will still be here for a couple of years.

I had a time when I only had the four afterschoolies, it was nice as I had the day to myself, but now have 2 under 5's and another on the way, although all are only part time, but different days and hours

helenlc
19-01-2010, 09:27 PM
I have 3 under 2's.

My DD is 9 and in Yr 5, so I am going to the school anyway. But I only have one after schoolie and that is a friends DD. I didnt go looking for after school but they asked and I couldnt/wouldnt say No.

My DD and this after schoolie play quite well with the colouring pens, up in my DDs room etc so I dont have to worry about having little things out as they realise there are always 2 or 3 LOs around.

This works for me.:thumbsup:

sonia ann
19-01-2010, 09:48 PM
My husband and I were discussing this today :) I have always preferred the younger ones anyway and to be honest I am really getting fed up turning out in all weathers to take and pick up afterschoolers. I can be out for nearly 1 1/2 hrs doing pick ups from school, kids club and after school clubs and it disrupts routine for the lo's
But like others have said, I have had most of these children from babies and I feel a loyalty to the families and want to provide continuity of care, so it is a difficult decision to make.....I'm not sure what the answer is at the moment in my case:(

loocyloo
19-01-2010, 11:42 PM
i'd like to have just the little ones, and have decided not to actively take on any more afterschoolers ...

BUT ! one of mine that i've had since tiny, starts school in september, and i'll have younger sibling with me, so he will stay! then the following year another one of my littlies will start school and i have her older sibling, so they will stay, and another of my afterschoolies will move out of my ratios and her younger sister will 'fall' into it as she starts school! (younger one not with me, as i don't have space!) so without even trying i am aquiring 3 afterschoolers! plus those i already have and have had for years, plus my own children!

it does impinge on my own childrens afterschool activities, but if i wasn't working, i wouldn't be able to afford for them to do these activities !

Blackhorse
20-01-2010, 07:38 AM
this has really given me a lot to think about.
maybe once dd is at school and i will be able to have 3 little ones i wont need any more schoolies...but if i already have them and then they go to school i might not want to stop...unless of course they go to different schools and i wont be able to do them all!
i have filled 2 of my 3 after school places and am not in a hurry to fill the last.......and i do like the mix of ages

daisyboo1980
20-01-2010, 07:51 AM
i have decided that once i come back from maternity leave next year im not going to be taking any after school only my niece and nephew and i would love just to get down to term time
im finding it hard with the afterschoolers consently bored no matter where i take them or wat i do
actually finding it all so stressful and then i get more stressed as i no i shouldnt stress at all with being in the early stages of pregnancy yesterday i actually burst into tear once i closed the door and they had all left but im hoping thats just down to hormoans (sp)
just finding it tuff and would love not to do this for a few weeks

louised
20-01-2010, 08:24 AM
I also feel like giving up the schoolies, I currently have 2 at pre-school but they are on opposite sessions so it means doing the school run 3 times a day. My younger mindees don't get a chance to have a proper nap as we're always about to go out and we can't go anywhere as we've always got to be back for the school run.

For anyone who has given notice to the schoolies how did the parents take it?

solly
20-01-2010, 11:05 AM
I have a friend who is a childminder. She offers an exclusive service and often takes the children to there home to put the children to bed etc. Alot of her parents are high flyers so is expensive and offers an all inclusive price. She has her 3 under 5 and does not do school age children (most of the children she looks after will attend private school when they reach the age of 4/5.) I have decided that i am not taking on any new after schoolies but will carry on with the LO's i have got when they go to school.