PDA

View Full Version : Parental rights re. child sick??

Cammie Doodle
19-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Hi Ladies and Gents, after a bit of advice if any of you can help! One of our mindees is off at mo with D & V. Mum has had to take time off work to look after her and her boss has said that she will have to take it as holiday. The mum seems to think that there is some thing about being able to have so many days off work if you have to care for your sick child??? Do any of you know if this is the case, and if so where we could get the info from to give to mum?

Thanks June & Carolyn

beccas
19-01-2010, 01:34 PM
If the child is under 5 i think you are entitled to 23 weeks off unpaid though tell her to check direct gov site.

cuffleygirl
19-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Isn't it called carer's leave?

Heaven Scent
19-01-2010, 01:44 PM
Yes that is correct but the time off very often has to be unpaid if not taken out of annual leave.

tell her to go onto the Acas website if she is not a member of a union. If they are a single parent or low income family the job centre or tax credits may be able to help. She could also speak to CAB.

Hope this helps, the college where I worked always paid us no matter why we were off but then again we were nearly all in unions there. When I worked for a small prep school/nursery in Macclesfield I was paid too and I wasn't in a nursery then - it all depends on the employer but just to make sure that the employer isn't taking the pee tell her to get onto acas and down load the relevant information so she can show it to her employer if he insists that she use her leave.

Bananabrain
19-01-2010, 01:45 PM
I thought it was called domestic leave and didn't realise it was only for under 5's.
Be interested to know as I wanted to talk to one of my parents about it.

cuddlybunny38
19-01-2010, 01:53 PM
some times it is at the bosses discrection, my old job they put it down as sick leave and people had to have back to works, stupid as they werent ill. Glad Im not there lol

Ripeberry
19-01-2010, 01:55 PM
I think it's universal at the moment, if you want to be paid for the time off it's annual leave, if you are sick then that's basic sick leave, but anything else will be unpaid.

The Juggler
19-01-2010, 02:11 PM
it doesn't have to be paid but most companies now offer x no. days paid then unpaid after that. no legal obligation though. the obligation is to allow you the time off without harrassing you or making you feel bad you're not in work.

Cammie Doodle
19-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Thanks for replies We have directed her to Directgov . Think she was hoping she would still get paid, bless her. Feel bad for her :( She had to take time off last week because of the snow, now her boss beibg really funny with her taking time off because daughter is ill , but we can't have her here with an upset tummy.

Carpet Monkeys
19-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Thanks for replies We have directed her to Directgov . Think she was hoping she would still get paid, bless her. Feel bad for her :( She had to take time off last week because of the snow, now her boss beibg really funny with her taking time off because daughter is ill , but we can't have her here with an upset tummy.

Sounds like my current boss!! Just a thought, I suppose now she's developed the tummy bug and is off sick with that too, tell her to phone in sick in the morning, surely she'll get paid then!

FizzysFriends
19-01-2010, 07:22 PM
It was called parental leave last time I used it.