PDA

View Full Version : Don't know what to do for the best

deb24
19-01-2010, 09:18 AM
Hi Guys,
Haven't been on here for a while. I am hoping to get some advice if anyone can help.
I have been childminding for nearly 2 yrs now. I am studying for my NVQ which I should finish by Sept. I want to go on after that and do my A1 award to become an NVQ assessor. This looks like might be done by middle of nxt yr.
Problem I have is I am very lonely doing this job now have good days & bad.
I don't know whether to get a job in a nursery which isn't really what I want to do but think it might be better & make me feel a bit better.
I know how the months fly by so don't know if I might just be better to stick it out. I don't want to make a mistake & be in a nursery & hate it. Work for childminders in my area is pretty slow so wouldn't be a case of just getting back into this if it didn't work out.
Im so confused Please help.

Roseolivia
19-01-2010, 10:02 AM
You have to do what's best for you. Hope you decide soon. Sometimes childminding can be lonely, do you go to toddler groups?

babydayz
19-01-2010, 12:54 PM
I agree that it is a lonely job, i have applied for a job in a nursery just yesterday, as i am getting a bit fed up of not having regular steady income as there is not much work around lately i am minding just 8 hours a week and i used to have a waiting list now there is just not much work about as people don't have much money they are asking relatives.
Is it like this for anyone else?

little_gems
19-01-2010, 10:16 PM
yeah it's pritty mush the same here!! i sometimes feel the same and i have my husbamd working full time with me. All the paper work seems to be getting a lot worse.
Im due ofsted soon so hopeing that once thats finished i might feel a bit better

madredann
20-01-2010, 05:35 PM
I used to work in Reception class. It is nice having contact with alot of children and having all the planning done for you, you still observe and make notes etc It is lovely working with other adults sharing ideas/the problems etc. The thing I found sad was almost all of the adults were negative and didnt seem to enjoy the job moaning etc and although I never got involved their was alot of back stabbing etc. I used to love my work and felt uncomfortable getting excited when a child had done well. In the staff room they used to talk about the kids and I used to think it isnt the kids fault its the parents....they used to moan about them too. i wouldnt work there again but would consider a nursery.

tigger
20-01-2010, 05:47 PM
I agree with everyone. Minding is a lonely job, the way I have done it in the past is to emerge yourself in planning something that not only the children will enjoy but making it something you would enjoy doing aswell. Making yourself go out to various places making friends with other minders and arranging to do things with them aswell so that you have company aswell. Maybe friends you already know can keep you company. The planning can come to mind when you're on a nature walk etc and then when you get home write it down before you forget. I don't think it would hurt to write your plans retrospectively for a while and when you get stuck have a look at what you have done in the past. Sarah707 has some good ebooks to help aswell. Try to make paperwork etc work for you rather than against you. It also helps to get lots of different ways to do things so you have a variety to choose from until you find the right thing for you. Hope you find the right solution for you soon.

Ripeberry
20-01-2010, 06:00 PM
At the moment I'm loving being my own boss, working my own hours, not having to listen to anyone else moaning and if I need a bit of help I come on this forum :)
I've worked in an office for over 14yrs and the office politics are just horrendus and I've vowed NEVER to return to that again.

Tatjana
20-01-2010, 10:28 PM
I also like working for myself! After being a stay at home mum for 5 years i'm used to my own company, i'm now actually more involved with the community than I used to be, chatting to other school mums, going to more groups, chatting with other cms. :)

xx

deb24
21-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Thxs for all your comments. I do go to toddler groups & my library & try to get out of the house every day but a lot of the childminders in my area all have there own little groups & don't tend to ask me, so if I do go out Im in my own company. I am really lonely I have seen a job in my local paper but really don't know whether to apply or not. I enjoy working for myself & having the freedom & not have to answer to anyone.
I suppose there is no ideal job

mandy moo
22-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Hi I agree it can be lonley at times, I too have several childminders in the vaillage but they were all well established and such whan I started and although theyre all friendly I alwys seem to be on the outside looking in iykwim.
Where abouts in Beds are you, Im Herts just along the A5 from Dunstable.

Bitsy Beans
22-01-2010, 07:34 PM
I only registered nearly a year ago. I don't know any of the local CM's - I have been to the toddler group they run but they are sooooooooo cliquey it's untrue. They make no attempt to talk to you or welcome you and as I don't have a mindee on the day it's run I don't bother going :o
I hated my office job and I love the fact that I am at home with my kids. But I didn't realise just how much I would miss a bit of adult conversation/interaction at times. My mum is close which is great but most of my adult conversation takes place on the internet on forums such as these :o
I think once my kids are old enough I'd quite like to do something else working with kids - even though I have one mindee I find the weight of planning being all on my shoulders a bit of a burden :o I think I'd like someone else to be responsible for that whilst I just make observations etc.
Do I sound like a lazy mare :laughing: :o

jumpinjen
22-01-2010, 07:55 PM
I was lonely and I felt very isolated.... in the end I called my local families information service and lied to get a list of local childminders then cold called them and practically asked people to be my friend!!!! It sounds very sad but many people were very glad to be called and were feeling the same way as me.... i now have some lovely friends and memet up every week with someone to do activities together... I have even started a childminding group!!!

try asking your local children's centre if tehy can introduce you to any other minders, or your early years support worker.... it is hard and daunting to make friends but oh so worth it!!!

Have heart!!

jenni:)