PDA

View Full Version : Wellingtons

jelly15
18-01-2010, 09:54 PM
I am having trouble getting my parents of LOs to remeber to bring appropriate clothing for the weather:angry: I have now bought waterproof coveralls for them to wear under coats but I need to buy cheap wellies from around size 5,6 & 7. All the local carboot sales are closed until March and I need them now. Any ideas where I can buy them (not Ebay postage too expensive).

Blackhorse
18-01-2010, 09:55 PM
have you tried your local charity shops??

I am lucky...mum of my main 2 mindees is great..I always have more cloths than i know what to do with and for all occasions and weather...wellies and shoes. snow suits..rain coats hats...scarfs...I need an annex!!

miffy
18-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Or jumble sale?

Miffy xx

madasahatter
18-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Put a wanted ad on freecycle?

angeldelight
18-01-2010, 10:03 PM
I think maybe you should have another chat with the parents

Why should you buy them

Ok if you have spare etc already but if you have to go and buy them just because the parents can not be bothered then that is wrong

Speak to them and ask them what they suggest you should do if the weather is bad like the snow we had - ask what they suggest you do for their child and take it from there - hopefully they will take the hint

Angel xxx

amanda1309
18-01-2010, 10:13 PM
I know you shouldn't have to buy them but try Priceless shoes or Wynsors Shoes.

HTH

mushpea
19-01-2010, 07:07 AM
I dont buy stuff, i used to and used to keep my kids old stuff for spares but the amount of stuff you have to keep to cover all the ages and sizes gets ridiculous so i gave it all away and now if they dont bring spare stuff or wellies then tuff. a little one went home yesterday in trousers i had to dry out on the radiator as her nappy leaked, not nice or hyginec but nothing i could do about it as i had no spares.
I do also make a point of saying bring your wellies tommoro as we will be going out in the snow then when they turn up without them i say somthing like' oh xx will have cold wet feet today as we are going out in the snow' i have had parents in the past think that i would keep them in doors but as i have up to 6 other children its not fair on them to miss out on the fun,

Blackhorse
19-01-2010, 07:26 AM
I dont buy stuff, i used to and used to keep my kids old stuff for spares but the amount of stuff you have to keep to cover all the ages and sizes gets ridiculous so i gave it all away and now if they dont bring spare stuff or wellies then tuff. a little one went home yesterday in trousers i had to dry out on the radiator as her nappy leaked, not nice or hyginec but nothing i could do about it as i had no spares.
I do also make a point of saying bring your wellies tommoro as we will be going out in the snow then when they turn up without them i say somthing like' oh xx will have cold wet feet today as we are going out in the snow' i have had parents in the past think that i would keep them in doors but as i have up to 6 other children its not fair on them to miss out on the fun,

Have to ask this now though...would you take a child into the snow that has no propper shoes etc then even if that means they get cold feet and might get sick? I agree you shouldnt have to keep the children in because parents forget to send you cloths but that cant be fair on the child that is then cold and wet?? iyswim??

angeldelight
19-01-2010, 07:29 AM

I used to have a pile of spare clothes too - but I never get them back so that large pile soon became very small ha ha ha

Angel xx

charleyfarley
19-01-2010, 07:35 AM
I used to have a pile of spare clothes too - but I never get them back so that large pile soon became very small ha ha ha

Angel xx

I'm the same, mindee is same size as Mitchell but I've started sending him home in old, smaller clothes that Mitchell doesn't fit in as they never come back :panic: I draw the line at buying wellies for them, I have got some that my 2 have grown out of though.

Have you tried cheap shoe shops or markets?

Carol xx

Blackhorse
19-01-2010, 07:41 AM
If i had parents not sending clothes back after reminding them several times I would invoice them for it

Roseolivia
19-01-2010, 07:47 AM
One of my older mindees went home in pink trousers that were too small the other week as he'd had an accident- ok you think?? He's a boy:laughing:

miffy
19-01-2010, 07:47 AM

Angel xx

Me, too!

As for invoicing parents for them - well, I'd have to remember who'd had what first :laughing:

Miffy xx

Kelly
19-01-2010, 08:33 AM
A few years ago I got them from homebase, they were only £1.99 a pair I got several pairs

sweets
19-01-2010, 08:40 AM
i have a supply of wellies. got them from a local shop called shoe market they were only £1.99.

i know parents should bring them but sometimes activities arnt planned and it may be sunny in the morn then raining in the afternnoon! parents have enought o remember in the morn without bringing a suitcase of stuff:laughing:

most of mine bring a change of clothes in thier bags but i have a few spares at mine just in case. were given to me a friend as her LO grew. one of my dads thinks it hilarious when i send his son home in a pink top! lol.

ive never had a problem getting clothes back.

mama2three
19-01-2010, 08:47 AM
I would tell them that if they were having difficulty bringing the various things in the mornings , you would be happy to buy some to use at your house and would add the cost to their next invoice! naughty but might just do the trick.

loocyloo
19-01-2010, 11:59 PM
i ask that all under 5's keep a change of clothes/waterproofs/wellies & slippers/hats & gloves (or sunhats!) at my house! most of them do, i have a couple of children who only come once a week, they bring everything andtake it home again!

all my afterschoolers keep slippers here, and in the summer, sunhats and shorts/tshirts/cossies!

and the afterschooler who comes in the holidays too, keeps wellies & a change of clothes here!

it sounds as though it takes up a lot of room, but somehow it is fine!