PDA

View Full Version : A bit of a dilemma...

MissTinkerbell
18-01-2010, 05:47 PM
Not sure what to do.

I have had a text today from my ex-mindees' (my 1st ever mindee) mum asking if and when I can have M and new baby L back? It was originally decided that when mum returned to work that dad would look after the children full-time(he was made redundant in Oct 09).

However dad has now got himself another job and has decided that he does not want to be a stay at home dad. Its not an option for mum to remain at home either full-time or part-time because she is the higher earner and they wouldn't be able to make ends meet on dad's salary alone.

I would love to have M and her baby brother again. She is such a delightful little girl, settled in so well and got on extremely well with my own 3 children. I got on brilliantly with both mum and dad and have stayed in touch over the past 8 months since she left.

Now this is where the dilemma starts. Mum is going back to work after the Easter holidays but could sort something out if I can't have the children until September. Mum is a teacher.

My own nearly 4 year olds start school in September and I'm hoping that as long as I inform Ofsted of the situation they should allow my own children be be classed as over 5s for the purpose of my ratios (I had 2 in this category this September and all was fine).

I currently have a 17 month old full-time; a before/after schooler aged 4 who will be leaving me in April when her mum has a new baby and a part-time after schooler (for 2 hours) aged 5.

Now I know that if I take on L and M I will be over my numbers but was wondering if it would be awful of me to give notice to the part-time after schooler to allow me to take on L and M full time in September?

So in September I would have

L aged 2 years
L aged 1 year
M aged 3 and a half (preschool 5 afternoons a week

plus my own 3 children who would all be at school.

Its the only way I can think of to be able to look after M again (and her brother) of which I'd dearly love to be able to do again.

Would it be awful to give notice to the part-timer especially as I would be replacing 4 hours a week with 43 hours a week?

caz3007
18-01-2010, 05:51 PM
I personally think you have to do whats right for you and if that means giving notice to the afterschooler, then so be it. Not sure what reason I would give the parents though

wendywu
18-01-2010, 05:56 PM
To be honest i would give notice. 4 hours cannot compare with 48 and parents and children you already know.

Hard to do though:(

jelly15
18-01-2010, 06:21 PM
I would give notice as that is a lot of money to say no to, you know that they ain't gonna like it but that is like and I am sure that is what they would do in your situation.

Good luck

little_gems
18-01-2010, 07:37 PM
i would be carful with ur numbers as my daughter is 4 and in full time school but they haven't increased my numbers and wont till 31st august after her 5th birthday. I can fill her space but only durning school hours so if M and brother fit into this then thats alright.
Hope this helps and makes sense:blush:

singlewiththree
18-01-2010, 07:40 PM
i would be carful with ur numbers as my daughter is 4 and in full time school but they haven't increased my numbers and wont till 31st august after her 5th birthday. I can fill her space but only durning school hours so if M and brother fit into this then thats alright.

Can I ask why? I rang ofsted when my DD age 4 went to school and they have turned her into a rising 5 to free up the under 5 space. I am expecting the same in Sept when my youngest DD starts school too.

loocyloo
18-01-2010, 09:38 PM
[QUOTE=singlewiththree;618158]Can I ask why? I rang ofsted when my DD age 4 went to school and they have turned her into a rising 5 to free up the under 5 space.QUOTE]

same with me, i can still only have a total of 6 under 8, but my 4 yr old is fulltime at school and counts in my 5-8 ratios. thus allowing me 3 under 5's at any one time, be it before, during or after school, and in the holidays.

xxx

miffy
18-01-2010, 09:42 PM
I would give notice too, although I would find it hard to do.

Good luck

Miffy xx

miffy
18-01-2010, 09:43 PM

That doesn't sound correct to me - think I'd be querying that with Ofsted.

Miffy xx

Pipsqueak
18-01-2010, 09:47 PM
there is a sticky thread about this, with the email I got back from Ofsted when I queried this with them.

It doesn't sound right what they have told you

babydayz
19-01-2010, 10:28 AM
I would give notice as i have been caught out in the past when i would not give notice or the sake of a few hours work, and then ended up with no mindees and no money. But do what you think is best for you :)

MissTinkerbell
19-01-2010, 11:29 AM
My dilemma has been solved - someone up there must like me!!!

Dad of part-timer dropped her off this morning saying that he needed to give notice as he has been posted (he's a RAF officer) and they are going at Easter so will only have I until end of term.

This now means that I can give the go ahead to my old mindee's mum. She's going to sort something out for the Summer Term and then have them come to me from September. It also means that all my children will be term-time only and as I charge half fees to keep the place open I get to spend the holidays with my own children.

Going to ring Ofsted later to find out what the score is when my twins start school but they granted me a variation this year for 5 under 5s so am hoping that they are as willing this year:idea:

Thanks everyone

The Juggler
19-01-2010, 02:19 PM
Can I ask why? I rang ofsted when my DD age 4 went to school and they have turned her into a rising 5 to free up the under 5 space. I am expecting the same in Sept when my youngest DD starts school too.

ofsted allowed me to up my numbers in the Sept too and my dd didn't turn 5 until the following April (this was back in 2006 though).

mammumof4
20-01-2010, 11:47 AM
wow, that worked out well! well done:)

my ds was 4 1st of jan, he goes to school in september full time, didnt know i could ring OFSTED to up my numbers, not sure if they will tho as i have an after schooler who is only 4 but in full time school.but she does only come 4 hours a week. Mmmmm

nannymcflea
20-01-2010, 12:59 PM

OFSTED did this with me too, straight away when I said dd had started school.:thumbsup: So I had 3 under 5's plus dd plus 3 other after schoolers.(2 over 8)

dobby
20-01-2010, 01:14 PM
The other thing to stress to OFSTED is that it is continuity of care for the older child as in theory mum has just taken maternity leave from you. If variation not granted then family would have to find alternative care, leading to disruption for older child etc etc get my drift :)