PDA

View Full Version : Throwing parents out!

pinklady
18-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Does anyone else have to practically throw parents out at pick up time? I've just about had enough of one parent who does so happen to be a friend as well :rolleyes:

He can see I have my hands pretty full as I'm usually trying to give my own children and other mindee their tea and just generally sorting everyone out. I even say 'I'd better sort M out' and he just says ok and still stands there. I have her coat on and everything ready to go, not sure what else I can do. So today I made it fairly clear that I needed him to go as M was in highchair not happy about waiting for her yogurt.

I just can't help but feel bad. Even when he asked me how the day had been (E does have settling issues) I just said I've put the details in the dairy.

Do you think I've been a bit harsh?

wendywu
18-01-2010, 05:49 PM
No, meeting the needs of the other children must come first.

If he was concerned he could always phone you later for a calm and quiet chat :thumbsup:

katickles
18-01-2010, 05:50 PM
I do always have a quick chat with parents, just think that way I have told them thing sthat have gone on & cleared any issues, but like you its all written in the diary.

TheBTeam
18-01-2010, 05:51 PM
If I am being brave, I say sorry dont mean to seem rude, but I have to get on so will see you tomorrow, thanks!

sweets
18-01-2010, 05:55 PM
i have a parent that i virtually i have to throw out! it makes me feel really rude.

shes odd in the fact that she just stands there in silence, i try to make conversation but i just get one word replies back. so after a few mins i always say 'right you get LO's coat on while i put his pram up)dad brings it folded up in the morn so that mum has it to walk home with at pick up time)
i then take the LO from her, put him in the pram and say goodbye and open the front door. one day i thought i might not do it and just see how long she stands there for :laughing:

louised
18-01-2010, 07:02 PM
I experienced this with a parent and put up with it for over a year, he would come in and settle down on the sofa and watch tv! I finally decided that I would have a new rule of no shoes in the house just to deter him from staying, it worked as he didn't want to take his shoes off and now stands on the door mat until his son gets his coat on

Tatjana
18-01-2010, 07:19 PM
No, mine are dressed in coat, hat, scarf and when the door goes I take them out to the hallway, open front door say 'hello' and a bit of chat whilst putting on lo's shoes. Hand over bags/buggy/child and say 'bye'!!!

xx

LisaH
18-01-2010, 07:24 PM
I now have all the children dressed and ready to go, got so fed up of it taking ages for the parents to do it when they arrived!! It's a subtle reminder to them that I have other children to take care of, my own included:)

ORKSIE
18-01-2010, 07:24 PM
I have parents who like to stand and chat, I do a daily diary FGS:eek:

I have had to be tactful before now and say, sorry but I have to get on:D

pinklady
18-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Doesn't sound like I'm alone then. Not sure what else I can do, he's the only parent I have a problem with and he's the one that picks up at the most awkward time. Oh well, lets see how it goes tomorrow.

miffy
18-01-2010, 09:12 PM
If he's a friend could you talk to him about it sometime (not when he's picking up lo)?

Miffy xx

helenlc
18-01-2010, 09:48 PM
I am lucky in that I have a lobby area where my front door is and its also close to the bottom of my stairs.

So I have my routine for leaving worked out perfectly now:

Coats/shoes/bags/diary etc all ready at the bottom of the stairs when its about time for child to be collected.

Parent knocks at door, I collect child from where ever they may be - we go and answer the door together.

I then sit child at the bottom of the stairs and start getting their shoes and coats etc on while I quickly chat to parent. Parent doesnt need to come all the way indoors as they can wait in the lobby.

Then its time to say Goodbye. Job done.:clapping:

little daisies
19-01-2010, 08:18 AM
i used to have a parent that would hang around for up tp an hour every day it was really annoying. i was thinking of getting a clocking in machine for parents to clock in when they first arrive and clock out when they leave that way they would be charged for the whole time they were taking up my time. they couldnt argue the times either because it would be thier on thier clocking in cards but the said parent left in the end anyway. the most anyone is here now is about 10 mins which isn`t a problem

tashaleee
19-01-2010, 09:30 AM
I am lucky in that I have a lobby area where my front door is and its also close to the bottom of my stairs.

So I have my routine for leaving worked out perfectly now:

Coats/shoes/bags/diary etc all ready at the bottom of the stairs when its about time for child to be collected.

Parent knocks at door, I collect child from where ever they may be - we go and answer the door together.

I then sit child at the bottom of the stairs and start getting their shoes and coats etc on while I quickly chat to parent. Parent doesnt need to come all the way indoors as they can wait in the lobby.

Then its time to say Goodbye. Job done.:clapping:

I pretty much do the same as Helen. Only difference is I dont have a lobby - just a small hallway area at the bottom of mystairs. They come in via the main door and, hopefully, their child is already waiting for them or we are getting coats and shoes on. At this time of year its great as the radiator is on and they get so warm they dont want to hang around for long :laughing:

Ive had more problems with parents hanging around in the morning as they want to settle their little ones - I have recently put a stop to it saying sorry too many people and I cant get to talk to anyone in private if I need to (if I shut the door to the living room one parent would try to open it and walk on in... now ive stopped her she no longer turns up early and it makes my life so much easier) :)

Bevbeetle
19-01-2010, 09:33 AM
i had one that used to there al night till my hubby started running bath for me as soon as she walked in she soon got messgae thankgod

pinklady
19-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Wasn't very successful again this evening but then I did notice she'd filled her nappy just as I was putting her coat on and I view nappies as my responsibility till they have left my house. We also had some issues to discuss so that couldn't be helped.
My other parent doesn't move off the doorstep so that's all good!

Heaven Scent
19-01-2010, 09:31 PM
I now only let parents in as far as the hall but the odd one does get past me now and again :panic: - when the bell rings I check to see which parent it is and I call the relevant child tell them to come and answer the door to their parent or pick them up and take them to the door (depending on the age). - The older ones sometimes need a few minutes to finish games or put stuff away so i tell parents to gather their stuff and tell them about the day while we wait. When it comes to the little ones I hand them over to the parents and I put their shoes and coats on while parents hold them and at the same time I tell them about the days events. Any the parents let go of I get hold of and get them dressed while talking to parents - I involve the children in the recall of the day as far as their vocab will let them. Then I open the door and they have very little choice but to walk through it - its now with all the cold air bellowing through my house and all the heat escaping at 100's of miles ph out of my house that they feel it necessary to pass on some sort of vital info, this usually involves me telling them to come back in before my family and other mindees freeze solid. When it comes to the last mindees of the day I often carry them out to the car and strap them in I don't even ask mum if I should. This way I can continue to get the info from mum and finish at some sort of reasonable time before my carriage turn into a pumpkin etc etc.

Curly Quavers
19-01-2010, 09:38 PM
No, meeting the needs of the other children must come first.

I agree perhaps put a little something on the subject in your next newsletter.

Jemima77
21-01-2010, 01:55 PM
I put my point across in my december newsletter (the only newsletter I have done). And said that as nice as it is to chat at pick up time I do have other children to watch and will therefore get their child ready 5 mins before collection time so they can knock and go (so to speak) It has worked really well and now parents will phone me or text if they are going to be early so their LO's can be ready and waiting...job done xxxx