PDA

View Full Version : Claiming for your TV and TV Licence

Chatterbox Childcare
18-01-2010, 02:05 PM
As there has been some differing opinions on this subject I have dug a little deeper and the following advice has come from NMCA:

Television sets and licences
You can only claim expenses for the cost of a television licence, and capital
allowances on a television set, if the television is wholly and exclusively used for childminding. If you claim for the cost of your television set or licence, you must be able to show that you only use the television in your childminding work.

Carol M
18-01-2010, 03:11 PM
2 yrs ago I bought a telly so as my after schoolie could go on playstation in the conservatory . I didn't feel safe with him using it in the lounge whilst little ones about and he was much happier to be left to get on with it without little ones trying to help him! I put the cost of it through my books. Now he has left I have pinched it for my bedroom!
If I have the need for it again re childminding I will return it to conservatory.
Is this acceptable?
Carol:)

Chatterbox Childcare
18-01-2010, 03:52 PM
Yes you brought it for the childminding originally and now it is broken

TheBTeam
18-01-2010, 05:55 PM
Ah, good time for this to come up as I bought a tv for my conservatory so that my mindees could play the wii as my son hogs the living room one!

Steve Francis
25-01-2014, 08:25 PM
As there has been some differing opinions on this subject I have dug a little deeper and the following advice has come from NMCA:

Television sets and licences
You can only claim expenses for the cost of a television licence, and capital
allowances on a television set, if the television is wholly and exclusively used for childminding. If you claim for the cost of your television set or licence, you must be able to show that you only use the television in your childminding work.

When you say MUST be able to prove, is that in case of a visit/inspection by HMRC or by some form of written proof?

sarah707
26-01-2014, 08:32 AM
When you say MUST be able to prove, is that in case of a visit/inspection by HMRC or by some form of written proof?

Childminders do get audited by HMRC - so if you are audited you must be able to prove that the television is in your working room, watched normally by childminded children...

However, you must be very careful because if you nominate a room in your house as solely for childminding purposes it might affect other things such as your council tax status (business rather than residential) etc...

Hth :D