PDA

View Full Version : what would you do re reduced hours?

newandlearning
17-01-2010, 09:54 PM
One of my mums wanted to reduce her LOs hours down to 2 afternoons a week but also said that she would still want me having the LO every hol.. now I've gone back to mum to find out what days she does want me at half-term it transpires that the dad is going to have her ... so she doesn't need me at all.

This has a financial impact of a potential whole weeks wage which is what was originally promised... normally I have this LO regularly each hol and feel that this is now probably changing but was equally expecting this LO during half-term.:(

What would you do in this type of situation?

:) .. am feeling a bit gutted.:(

Pipsqueak
17-01-2010, 09:58 PM
I have had two parents do that to me, it feels a bit of a betrayal doesn't it! BUT it cannot be helped and I am sure there is no intent there but I have learned through experience:

new contract review - prices will reflect the part time hours required ie/50p more than your full time rate or whatever you feel you can do

I did find another child that fitted in with one lot of hours

Chatterbox Childcare
17-01-2010, 11:00 PM
I think that if mum wants you then she needs to pay you regardless of it the child comes in the holidays.

mrs c
17-01-2010, 11:18 PM
I've had this happen and my hours were reduced from 21 to 14 for 2 children. It was out of the blue so was a bit of a shock to me. However I do charge an extra 50p per hour for under 20 hours so they had to pay the higher rate.

jelly15
18-01-2010, 06:21 AM
I had a parent who wanted me to drop from full days to half days, as there is little call for half days in my area I told them that I would do it but should I be approched by a new parent for full days then I would have to give them notice. I couldn't afford to lose £65 a week if I could help it.

mushpea
18-01-2010, 07:15 AM
Ive had this happen too so i decided that if i have a parent come along wanting more hours then i would let the other one go, dosent help in the short term but I dont want to be turning down full time work for only 2 very short days per week.

Twinkles
18-01-2010, 08:16 AM
I think that if mum wants you then she needs to pay you regardless of it the child comes in the holidays.

I agree , if she wants the place when it suits her she must commit to a retainer otherwise you are well within your rights to fill those hours and not be available in case she needs you.

Gizmo
18-01-2010, 08:32 AM
I have had one of mine cut down from 5 days to 2 days a week, I told mum if I get a full timer I will have to give her notice.

wendywu
18-01-2010, 08:36 AM
If she wants holidays, but just not this up and coming half term then she should still pay.

I would up the rate for part time, and then advertise for extra mindees to fit in around her. If a full timer comes up then i would give notice.:)

newandlearning
18-01-2010, 08:39 AM
how do retainers work? I have in my policies that you must pay a £50 retainer to secure a child's space in the hols. but I've not done this with this parent as LO has been with me for over a year...

how can I now implement? I feel like I'm being a bit money grabbing.. but I equally thought I'd be earning money during this half term and now am not :(

Twinkles
18-01-2010, 08:46 AM
how do retainers work? I have in my policies that you must pay a £50 retainer to secure a child's space in the hols. but I've not done this with this parent as LO has been with me for over a year...

how can I now implement? I feel like I'm being a bit money grabbing.. but I equally thought I'd be earning money during this half term and now am not :(

You're not being money grabbing , this is your business.

What does it say in your contracts about holiday pay. Mine says if I take holiday they don't pay but if they take holiday then they pay full.
I assume she's not on a term time only contract ?

newandlearning
18-01-2010, 09:37 AM
hi.. no she's not on a full time contract with the after-school mindee but she is on a full time contract with the toddler mindee... so I'm getting paid for the tod.mindee not coming and have said that as I thought I'd be having the after-schooler too I'd have to charge a £50 retainer on this occasion as I may not now be able to fill this space for half-term.

When should I be asking the mum for a retainer for easter? if she only wants me for one week .. would you still charge a retainer for the other week not used.. I'm thinking get a retainer to secure the week she does want during the easter hols and then not charge for the other week.... are retainers non-refundable even if she gives 4 weeks notice? I'm thinking not.. when do you charge your retainer? do you charge a retainer for each hol period and then of course take it off the bill if mindee does come?

sorry for seeming to be complicating things .. I just don't know how to do this??

also the mum may not want me having the toddler mindee for possibly 3 weeks during the summer hols.. would you charge for such a long absence..

the thing is .. I can't afford to just not charge .. I can only not charge if someone comes to me and takes that 3 week period.

If I don't have security of money coming in the financially I can't live like I currently am... I'm feeling a bit sensitive :( :)

wendywu
18-01-2010, 09:51 AM
In the holidays if it is a term time only contract. They pay full time when they attend and half fee when they do not. As the space has to kept open just in case she needs it.

So you could not take another child on for all the holidays because she may need you. :)

janminder
18-01-2010, 01:13 PM
My daily rate for up to 3 days is higher than that for 4/5 days as it is hard to fill the other odd days.

polly0
18-01-2010, 01:24 PM
I have a child who comes 3 days a week but they are not a set three days so i charge a retainer for the other 2 days that he doesnt come ( half of my daily rate). Mum is happy with this and it means I am available for any of the three days that she wants.