PDA

View Full Version : Completeing application and getting stressed!

crazyhazy
17-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Hi, everyone, I got my application form through to register as a childminder before xmas and have been filling it in the last couple of weeks. I'm hoping to get it sent off this week but am getting myself all stressed writing my policies. I feel a bit thrown in at the deep end, I thought I would get some help or training before completing the forms but have been told there is nothing available in my area :-( Can anyone help me with my policies? Have been looking online for inspiration but that's just stressing me more cos there's so many! Any help would be appreciated greatly!

edayhouse
17-01-2010, 04:27 PM
What area are you in? Could you speak to the SCMA helpline? Are you a member yet - it might be worth signing up for advice at least.

What policies have you done so far? What policies do you still need to do? If you do a search for Bromley Childminding association on google i found it helpful - you can have a look at there policies and tweek them to suit.

Any other questions please shout - i only got registered in August 2008 so things are relatively fresh in my mind!!!

Try not to stress too much you will be fine, the paperwork part at the start is the worst, honest.
x

crazyhazy
17-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Hi, thanks for replying x

I'm in argyll and bute, I've spoke to the scma a couple of times, apparently there aren't any training courses in my area so have been trying to contact the area manager for the last week without much luck to find out if there are any planned for the future.

So far, I've done my childrens record, complaints procedure and medication policy. So, still need to do the child protection, emergency procedure, record of accidents and incidents. Do you know if I need to do a seperate fire safety risk assessment, it's listed along with the other policies etc but would a copy of the one I'm sending to the fire brigade be ok or does it need to be different to that?

Sorry for all the questions, h has taken the girls out for the day so trying to get as much done today as possible.

sarah707
17-01-2010, 05:14 PM
You only need 1 fire assessment... so just duplicate the one that's going to the fire service.

Just work through the standards pulling out any information that says you need a policy and get the main ones in place.

If Scma want any more they will ask you for them when they come to visit.

You should be able to access home learning for your training course - have you asked about that? I know a lot of people who live in outlying areas take that option.

Hth :D

Lainey Lou
17-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Hiya, don't stress, you will get it sorted. As already suggested, Bromley Childminding helped me with policies and also the NCMA website has standard policies on it as well.

In the Statutory Framework, complaints page it says you need a policy on admissions, equality, safeguarding, complaints procedures, lost child and failure to collect child, so make a start on those if you haven't already.

Risk Assessments, I have a
Fire risk assessment
Emergency evacuation risk assessment
Risk Assessment Policy
Escape plan ie. downstairs exits are front door etc .... Fire extin located in .... Smoke Alarms located in .... etc
Drawn 'plan' of the house with exits highlighted
A fire evacuation log
Outings RA
Snow RA
Daily and Weekly RA

Sounds like a lot of work but once you have it all in place its done then.

Good luck!

HTH :) xx

crazyhazy
17-01-2010, 06:07 PM
Thanks everyone, feeling a bit calmer now. In the application form the only things it asks for are

Child protection - a statement to parents advising them of the childminders responsibilities with regard to child protection mattersComplaints procedure
Emergency procedure
Record of Accidents
Record of Incidents
Childrens records (including contact details)
Administration of Medication records (a procedure may also be required)
Fire Safety risk assessment

The ones in red I still have to do, so about half way there, can anyone help with what to include in the record of accidents and incidents and sorry for being dim but what's the difference? So, sorry for all the questions and thanks for all your help so far, this website is fab x

sarah707
17-01-2010, 06:16 PM
An accident is when a child hurts themselves...

An incident is when something happens that you need to inform parents about.

So for example, John bites Jane... Jane's parents would be asked to sign an accident form; John's parents would be given an incident form to sign.

Similarly if Jane and John were on an outing and witnessed a car accident, both sets of parents would receive an incident form.

crazyhazy
17-01-2010, 06:18 PM
An accident is when a child hurts themselves...

An incident is when something happens that you need to inform parents about.

So for example, John bites Jane... Jane's parents would be asked to sign an accident form; John's parents would be given an incident form to sign.

Similarly if Jane and John were on an outing and witnessed a car accident, both sets of parents would receive an incident form.

Thanks! Sounds obvious now you've told me, think I've lost my brain somewhere amongst all the paperwork x

carlen222
17-01-2010, 06:41 PM
oh im the same as you, no help whatsoever so was completely stuck with it all!!!! i bought a cd off of ebay that had policies etc on it to give me somewher to begin!! also the bromley site is great, which part of argyll you in?? xx

crazyhazy
17-01-2010, 06:53 PM
oh im the same as you, no help whatsoever so was completely stuck with it all!!!! i bought a cd off of ebay that had policies etc on it to give me somewher to begin!! also the bromley site is great, which part of argyll you in?? xx

Hi, I'm in Helensburgh, I did ask about attending a course in west dunbartonshire cos it's so close but they said there would be a charge of up to £150 cos it was a different area :eek: Whereabouts are you?
Did you do the home training with scma? That's what I think I'll end up doing.

Gizmo
17-01-2010, 07:20 PM
If you join SCMA and get their starter pack it has Accident and Incident report sheets in it, I use those :thumbsup:

carlen222
17-01-2010, 07:39 PM
If you join SCMA and get their starter pack it has Accident and Incident report sheets in it, I use those :thumbsup:

is that something you had to buy or was it something that came when you joined?? as i didnt get any in my pack :(