PDA

View Full Version : They are coming this week - help!

Maria Pia
16-01-2010, 10:57 PM
Hello! I am starting to panick a bit... :panic:

Although I registered with Ofsted in September 09, I only started minding 2 weeks ago (little 18 months old 3 days a week) and I received a call from Ofsted saying that they are coming for the inspection either Tuesday or Thursday!!!!!! :eek:

I have some policies and procedures in place and I even managed to write down 3 obs but it is all very new to me and I am not sure what I need to have in place or else!

I have downloaded the SEF form from the Ofsted website, but I am quite puzzled on how to use it... since I literally just started the practice, I am not sure how to evaluate it already... and how do you do your planning??? I don't feel that the NCMA course that I attended prepared me for this one bit!!!!!!!!!!

Any help is gratefully received... THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE! :)

from a panick ridden Maria xx
:panic:

Zoomie
16-01-2010, 11:12 PM
Don't do your SEF. With such short notice it really isn't worth it. There are cm who have got outstanding without doing it and it isn't compulsory.

Good luck for your inspeciton :)

helenlc
16-01-2010, 11:18 PM
Don't do your SEF. With such short notice it really isn't worth it. There are cm who have got outstanding without doing it and it isn't compulsory.

Good luck for your inspeciton :)

I agree - dont waste your time doing it now. What can you evaluate when you have only just started minding?

Go through the Inspection Tips section and have a note pad handy. Write down good ideas and things you think you could bring into your setting. But be realistic about the time you have - dont get caught up in lots of things, concentrate on what you should have in place etc.

Good luck:thumbsup:

Maria Pia
17-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Thank you!:)

The childminding coordinator for my area is going to visit me tomorrow to make sure I have all the bits in order and she stated exactly what you said, no point in doing the SEF as I have nothing to evaluate as yet!

I'll keep you posted...

...but I am still panicking! :panic: lol!

Maria xx

Lainey Lou
17-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Hiya, don't panic, I had my first inspection the other day and really it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. She mainly just observed me with the children and asked me how I do things, I thought she might put me on the spot with difficult questions but she didn't (I know all inspectors are different but that was my experience).

Just make sure all your recommendations are in place from your pre-reg. Make sure all attendance registers are signed, RA's are up to date etc. Plan what you are going to do with the children on that particular day. Make sure all your paperwork is handy and organised so if she asks you for something you know where it is .... and relax!

Oh yes and like others have said don't bother with the SEF, mine was out of date.

:)

BeckenhamCM
18-01-2010, 09:01 PM
Hi Maria,

I just wanted to reassure you too. I had my first inspection last week and I didn't do my SEF, but I did make sure that I had everything else in place.

The one bit of advice that I was given by my pre-reg inspector was if you read the "Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage" booklet that comes with your EYFS pack and follow the "Specific Legal Requirements" AND the "Statutory guidance to which providers should have regard" then you should be well on your way to getting an outstanding. That is exactly what I did and it certainly worked for me :-)

Oh, and I did have a little extra guidance from Sarahs E-books too, I can;t rate them highly enough, especially the Obs & Planning one, it's fab.

You'll be fine, just be yourself and be the best that you can.

Ash xx

It's a small world
18-01-2010, 09:08 PM
I had my inspection last week and told her I hadnt done all of my sef . She just said do what you can. When she got here I hadnt submitted it correctly and she had to read it off my computer.She told me its there more for me so I can see what needs doing in my settings how I can improve etc. She spent about 10mins looking at it and then the rest of the time reading all my paperwork.

Make sure you have all the main policies. I know a girl who missed a couple one was 'Lost Child' and something else - sorry cant remember what and she got satisfactory for her policies because she'd missed a couple of the basic ones.

*Do you have an attendance file?
*Fire drill file - even though you probably wont have had time to do one show her that you are prepared

I also have:
*My Portfolio
*Childs individual file
*Risk assessments
*Health & safety file

The main thing is dont panic (I know thats easy for us to say) but as she was leaving she said well done and there was no need to worry 'we are only human after all.We are not monsters ' I have to agree she was right.

Good luck and hope all goes well.:thumbsup:

Maria Pia
19-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Thank you for all your reassuring words! The inspector said that she was either coming today or Thursday, and since she didn't show up today, it will be Thursday!

My area childminding co-ordinator came yesterday and she was very very helpful - she checked all my procedures (spotted a missing one - Working with Parents) and gave me some very good advice (and resources!!) - like keeping a visitors book and get the inspector to sign it as soon as she comes in.

Well... I am still scared but I hope for the best... I will let you know the outcome on Thursday evening!!!

Maria xxx

Carpet Monkeys
19-01-2010, 09:14 PM
Don't forget to check her ID too on arrival, and breath I'm sure you'll be fine, good luck.

mama2three
20-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Good Luck tomorrowX

Ripeberry
20-01-2010, 06:23 PM
And if she wants a cup of tea, tell her where the kitchen is :D They understand that you don't have time to be making them drinks, also they could be a hazard!

BeckenhamCM
20-01-2010, 10:19 PM
Good luck for tomorrow, you'll be fine xxx

TheBTeam
20-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Whatever you don't panic, i also prepared lunch sandwiches etc and put them in the fridge, and had cut up the snack apple and bits in advance and left the apple in a jug of water, all little things that I would normally do at the time they were needed, but meant I didn't have to spend the time doing them away from the children, just my luck one would bash the other or something when i was in earshot but not in sight of!

So thought that would help, i even made myself a sandwich and snack the same and we sat together to eat it!, we would normally sit together but i wouldn't have prepared it in advance!:laughing: