PDA

View Full Version : Feel like I must be the worst Childminder in the country...

helendee
16-01-2010, 06:01 PM
Sorry to come on here for a moan but I feel so stressed at the moment. I really struggle with EYFS and what is expected of us, especially with paperwork as it seems to me there are no formal guidelines as to how we should observe and plan.

Also it seems that Childminding becomes more complicated every day, I look through here and other sites and it seems like everyone has Story sacks and Sensory baskets and all sorts of lovely resources that I don't seem to have enough imagination to create.

I have been childminding for over fifteen years, starting under Social Services when it was a whole different ball game and I don't seem to have moved with the times unfortunately.

My skills are very much hands on with the little ones, nurturing and loving and caring for them but as to activites and thinking up new ideas I am rubbish!!!:(

Pipsqueak
16-01-2010, 06:09 PM
Aw hunny you are NOT the worst minder in the world, if you were you certainly would not be bothered by anything, let alone posting on here.

The trick is to see what everyone else is up to and see what works for you. none of us do something exactly the same as anyone else, so not all of us have story sacks etc - what we might do is have an alternative version, I personally have a story box - a shoe box and i fill it with things related to a particular story. Much more managable for me.

The other thing - a forum that is (growing) so large as this there is bound to be TONS of ideas and advice, the other trick is going through all ! lol You can't do it all but more its a platform for inspiration and support.

A minder with your experience will have a lot knowledge to impart to the rest of us so don't think that you have nothing to contribute. I am not particuarly creative but I will see an idea on here and I can adapt it to suit the children in my care or fit into my setting. Don't undervalue yourself or your practice. EYFS is still all about being 'hands-on' and us minders are in the best position to be able to deliver that.:thumbsup:

Sarah707's e-books are a good starting point for paperwork and explanations.

You, IMO are a good minder for caring enough to post

Chimps Childminding
16-01-2010, 06:13 PM
Don't worry you are not on your own. I know exactly how you feel!!! I don't seem to be able to keep up with paperwork, I love playing, caring, doing activities/crafts etc. with the children, but when it comes to next steps, planning etc. I am at a loss!!!

I have been minding for 12 years and I am just not enjoying it any more, I feel completely out of my depth a lot of the time. I am just lucky that I have a friend and neighbour who also minds and so we bounce ideas off each other. I have to confess that if she wasn't there I would have given up long ago!!!!!

Sorry, I know I'm not really any help, just wanted you to know you are not on your own!!! :thumbsup:

It's a small world
16-01-2010, 06:13 PM
Please don't be disheartened if you've been doing it for fifteen years parents must be happy which shows you are a good cm. It's hard to think of things to do I know . My problemis I have loads if ideas but mindeesnot that interested.I'm sure your not as bad as your making out . The children and parents are happy with you. There are loads of ideas if you get stuck with whAt activities to do and there's always some special date in the calendar. Please don't put yourself down you are not rubbish you obviously provide a loving and caring environment which is just as important I'm sure others will be on here soon to agree with me.

avril
16-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Don't put yourself down, having done this job for 15yrs you MUST be doing a very good job.
You are probally doing what everyone else does but it's just putting it down on paper. I'm not a genius and have had many problems putting it all down ripping up many pieces of paper and starting over again.
Borrow ideas off here and adapt them for the children you care for, put time aside to search the internet for ideas following the children's interests - transport, animals, letters, numbers, colours, shapes etc ... or just provide things for free play a huge cardboard box and just see what the chidren make it into - a car, a plan, a bath, a bed.
There are lots of inexpensive ideas search through the activities pages.

Good luck and don't put yourself down look back at the 15yrs you have done helping to care for many children who have had happy times with you, lots of good memories hey!?:D

sue m
16-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Sorry to come on here for a moan but I feel so stressed at the moment. I really struggle with EYFS and what is expected of us, especially with paperwork as it seems to me there are no formal guidelines as to how we should observe and plan.

Also it seems that Childminding becomes more complicated every day, I look through here and other sites and it seems like everyone has Story sacks and Sensory baskets and all sorts of lovely resources that I don't seem to have enough imagination to create.

I have been childminding for over fifteen years, starting under Social Services when it was a whole different ball game and I don't seem to have moved with the times unfortunately.

My skills are very much hands on with the little ones, nurturing and loving and caring for them but as to activites and thinking up new ideas I am rubbish!!!:(

Me too love, I agree with all you have said, I started in 1987. Try not to worry about it, keep plodding on, I do. xxx:thumbsup:

Pauline
16-01-2010, 06:44 PM

That alone makes you one of the BEST in the country!

Don't be so hard on yourself, it is so difficult to adjust to, and understand, the EYFS.

Why not break things down into smaller chunks and concentrate on each for a short time? Perhaps start with observing, there are some brilliant ideas and tips in the EYFS section here: http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93

then maybe move on to learning journals? here: http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=91

doing it like that will help make it less daunting and we are all here to help and offer advice and tips - just ask! :thumbsup:

As regards resources, there are also tips for activities and ideas which might help here:

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37

and in the free resources http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/

You will not be short of help here, the girls and boys are FAB! :clapping::clapping:

Twinkles
16-01-2010, 06:52 PM
The thing is you are doing all those things. You are observing, you are planning ,have you never thought

'Oh look at x he's managed to build a bridge with the bricks. Maybe I'll get out the lego tomorrow and see what he can do with that '

Or 'y seems to love trains mabe we'll go and visit the station'

It's just a case of putting it down on paper.

Like Pauline says do it a bit at a time.

Chatterbox Childcare
16-01-2010, 06:56 PM
QUOTE=helendee;616975]Sorry to come on here for a moan but I feel so stressed at the moment. I really struggle with EYFS and what is expected of us, especially with paperwork as it seems to me there are no formal guidelines as to how we should observe and plan.

Isn't there anyone to guide you within your area? Networks, development officers etc... Do you attend the NCMA Forums as there are lots of ideas going on there too

You are not on your own - I don't do them either, I read to the children and our treasure sensory is outside

I think you will find that anyone who started pre Ofsted finds everything different. New childminders find it easier because they don't know anything else.

My skills are very much hands on with the little ones, nurturing and loving and caring for them but as to activites and thinking up new ideas I am rubbish!!!:([/QUOTE]

Isn't this what childminders are all about. The paperwork does not have to be extensive, just as long as you know where the children were as at Sept 2008 and you know where they are now and how they got there you will be okay. There isn't a plan of attack because everyone does it differently. All you have to do is write down (planning or diary) what you do each day and the results.

Keep going it does get better once you understand it. Are you attending any EYFS training?

jumpinjen
16-01-2010, 07:17 PM
I have pm'd you!!!

Chin up!

jenni:)

The Juggler
17-01-2010, 12:21 PM
I've only been minding for 5 years and I CANNOT believe how it has changed since EYFS came in and the paperwork. Like everyone has said you're a fab minder you are doing all the right things it's just now OFSTED want us to write down everything!

you are not alone in getting behind with your paperwork;)

PixiePetal
17-01-2010, 12:42 PM
I have been minding 15 years too and agree that some of us registered pre Ofsted have found it harder to slot the EYFS into already good practice and happy children.

I am still trying, I will not let 15 years experience as a CM and 12 years before that as a nanny go to waste - even if I get a satisfactory grade next time, I will carry on.

I still feel I have a lot to give and I am sure you have too. You are def not the worst CM in the country if your children and parents are happy with you :thumbsup:

caz3007
17-01-2010, 01:46 PM
I know exactly how you feel. I have been registered for some years and just before xmas got an unsatisfactory cos of my paperwork. I felt the Inspector didnt reflect at all on on what I was doing with mindie, just about my lack of planning and paperwork. I do have a childminder co ordinator coming on Thursday to see me and another local CM that I know cos of our unsatisfactory inspections and hoping she can help us sort out some of planning and development. Also myself and other CM have booked ourselves on an EYFS course next month.

I plan it all in my head, but its just getting it down on paper to keep Mrs O happy, that I am struggling with. Next inspection I will be over the moon with satisfactory, cos I know I will have improved

pinklady
17-01-2010, 09:03 PM
Sounds like you're doing a fab job to me! I would certainly choose a childminder who is nurturing and hands on for my own children that's for sure.

The trick is to show how all the things you're already doing on a daily basis link into the EYFS. It takes all sorts to make the world go round and this forum alone shows a real mixed bag of cm styles. It doesn't mean you're doing it wrong you're just doing it your own way.

bandlady
18-01-2010, 12:57 PM
I have also been a childminder for a long time nearly 25 years and yes like you I have struggle to get my head around EYFS. I have found this site really helpful with sorting out my paperwork and making sure that I have got all the policies and risk assessments that are needed. Once I had sorted out that side of the business I started to look into the learning side of minding and each day I would observe the children to see how and what they played with and wrote notes to show how each activity tied in with the different learning areas and slowly it started to make sense to me. I now feel confident to do observations and next steps for each child. My advice to you would be to have a good look around this site and gather as much information as you can and slowly start to introduce EYFS to your setting. I only do activities I feel comfortable with and that are within my capabilities. We are all good childminders some like us with years of experience and others that may have all the qualifications but little experience.

Hope this helps