PDA

View Full Version : Quiet Ideas

helenlc
16-01-2010, 03:46 PM
One of my mindees goes to bed after lunch and the other 2 dont, but I want them to have some quiet time. One mindee also stays til 6 and another til 7, so again I want quieter things to bring out after tidying away the noisy big things before dinner. They are both just under 2 yrs old.

I want to create a "Quiet Box" to have out after lunch instead of the noisy toys we have out the rest of the time and for after dinner.

I am going to have books out still and either puzzles, play dough or drawing stuff on the table, as throughout the rest of the day.

So far in my Quiet Box, I have some threading cards, finger puppets, soft balls, one of those learn to dress dolls (with laces, buttons etc) and bean bags.

What else? I want it to be quiet but also enough to keep them occupied.

Thanks

The Juggler
16-01-2010, 03:59 PM
what about just quiet time, I have two who sometimes sleep/sometimes not. We have blankets on the sofa, a story then they lie down with a book of their choice and have their quiet time. They lie quietly and sometimes they do go to sleep sometimes not.

If not what about quiet music like classical or something and do some lying on the floor type exercises - yoga type stretching.

helenlc
16-01-2010, 04:06 PM
The problem is one of them has Williams Syndrome and if she doesnt want to do something she wont! Which I feel will make the other LO not want to lie down after.

They both only started this week, so I have yet to get them into any kind of routine as have been getting to know each other really.

The one with WS has been falling asleep having a cuddle late in the afternoon and the other LO fell asleep in the car and pushchair the other day, so he definitely needs a sleep in the day.

Maybe I should just put them on the sofa with a story and sleepy music and limit the activities that are out - is it fair to do that? I am looking into getting some floor cushions or something, so maybe I could just leave those out with some blankets and books on them? And literally not much else.

Tatia
16-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Duct tape? :littleangel:

helenlc
16-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Duct tape? :littleangel:

I do have that but wondered if I was allowed to use it!!!!:laughing:

helendee
16-01-2010, 08:35 PM
I usually encourage mine to lie down on the sofa at quiet time, cover them with a blanket and allow them half an hour of cbeebies, they are usually asleep within ten minutes allowing me a much needed cup of coffee and several biccies, lol.:laughing:

Mouse
16-01-2010, 08:44 PM
I used to put Fun Radio on for the little ones to listen to. I haven't had it on for a while so I don't know if it's changed, but after lunch they used to have a quiet time when they played relaxing music. They also used to have a story, but I can't remember if that was in the quiet time.

The little ones used to snuggle up on the sofa or bean bags with their blanket and listen to the radio. Sometimes they dozed off to sleep, sometimes they didn't, but they would at least have a quiet/ chilled time.

helenlc
16-01-2010, 09:40 PM
Thank you for your responses and ideas.

But my struggle is with the LO with Williams Syndrome as I dont think I am going to get her to lie still. She shows some interest in the TV so that might work. But its the whole keeping her in one place I will struggle with.

If she doesnt want to sit on the sofa, she will just turn around and get herself off again. I am working on some cushions and that for a quiet area, so by the end of the week I am hoping to have these available. But I am still not sure that she will stay on them.

Thats why I wondered if I could remove everything else ie the other toys? (I can easily put them in the conservatory and shut the door) But is this fair? Would they, and particularly LO with WS, give up and lay on sofa or cushions because nothing else is available?

Tatjana
16-01-2010, 10:55 PM
I think they're more likely to settle when toys are out sight...out of mind, nothing to play with and after eating lunch should feel tired and dozy.

xx