PDA

View Full Version : Advice please on new parent

ninagee
16-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Hi

Parent had made appointment last week for her first visit and postponed twice. Turned up yesterday (Friday) an hour late. We arranged to attend this morning to complete all the contracts etc and guess what? She did not turn up, so I sent her a text an hour later and asked her if she still wanted the spaces. She apologised for not contacting me but she was away with the kids. She tried to arrange a visit tonight then tried for tomorrow but I said no due to family commitments.

She admitted she had not read the paperwork I gave her regarding my services which states what I need from her and how long it would take etc. She has used childminders before so she is aware of the procedures.

She is turning up on Monday with the kids to complete the paperwork at 9am and she has to be at work at 9.30am. I have told her that without the paperwork completed I cannot take the children on. Sorry about the long story but it would be my first mindees (two kids) and I think she has left it to the last minute to arrange this. Have I done the right thing? Do I need to do anything else?

She can’t give me a deposit or pay in advance as her childcare is through tax credits. Not sure how that works. Your suggestions would be much appreciated as I have a bad feeling about this!!!

Thanks

Nina xx

little chickee
16-01-2010, 02:44 PM
you have done the right thing by insisting that the paperwork is completed prior to care beginning.

As to not being able to pay upfront cos its tax credits these will be backdated to when care began so i would insist that she pays you upfront and she will be reimbursed later when her claim for tax credits is in place.

tax credits can take an AGE to be set up and i guarentee you will still be waiting for your money in a months time.

hello kitty
16-01-2010, 02:52 PM
Well, sounds like a bit of a risk to me. Personally I would not take this one on. I now go by my gut feelings and would not take a risk of working for a monthly hoping to be paid at the end of it.

Basically, no money up front then no care. Sounds tough but I have had plenty of experience.

Pipsqueak
16-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Like Kitty I have learned to trust my gut instincts so what is yours saying. If this is your first contact its easy to get swept up in the nerves and excitement of it all and of course wanting to get on an earn money but my overriding gut feeling is what counts now a days.

Bearing in mine she failed to show 3 times (?)without contacting you, she still hasn't read the paperwork and she is willing to leave kids with you on Monday with any proper visits etc.

At the end of the day its up to you but you MUST have all the paperwork in place as you are rightly insisting and I would take a deposit - even if its one weeks fees upfront and the first payment is for childminding due on Friday for instance.

Stick to you guns, be business like and professional from the start.

westbrom44
16-01-2010, 03:33 PM
I would definitely not take any children without payment upfront as I have had problems in the past. This sounds very dodgy to me.

All of my parents pay me monthly in advance.

Gherkin
16-01-2010, 04:29 PM
All the advice given is exactly what I would say. Personally having dealt with parents like this in the past if they are unreliable in the seeking out childcare stage they will be a nightmare once you have signed contracts.

If you do take them on insist on money up front and a deposit. My gut would be to not take them on but then I have not met them and I do not know how much you need the business. Good luck.

miffy
16-01-2010, 04:43 PM
I'm with the others - trust your instincts - do you know why she has changed childminders?

I wouldn't take this on without a month's money up front - she's already messed you around over coming to see you and now tells you she can't pay in advance and expects you to accept it.

Be careful or you may end up looking after her children and not getting your money.

Miffy xx

Carol M
16-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Ooooooooo..... think i would pass on this family!
Carol x

solly
16-01-2010, 05:45 PM
I am sorry but i really dont agree with others on this one. Some parents cant afford to pay upfront especially if she is just returning to work/single parent etc i think as cm's we are lucky as this is the only profession that i know that gets paid up front my dh is self employed but her still gets paid in arrears.

She hasn't been that reliable so i would be alittle wary of taking her on and would ask her if there is anything she can give upfront and then when tax credit comes through she pays you maybe she can have her tax credit weekly and pay you that way
I have 1 parent who has hers weekly and pays me that way and 1 parent who pays me 4 weekly when she gets her tax credit and just adds the extra that she owes when she gets paid.

Sorry but this is just my opinion and i would see if she turns up on monday with the paperwork

jumpinjen
16-01-2010, 07:26 PM
It seems reasonable to ask for at least one week in advance.... and state in the contract that she can pay you weekly for four weeks then must pay monthly/four weekly after that.

you also must have the basics completed before she leaves..... information forms, emergency medical treatment, permissions etc.... and poor children with no time to settle with you first!

I had a mum who wouldn't sign the contract until she had 'spoken to work about the hours'..... she never brought the child back again, saying that she had been made redundant but she really wanted me etc etc, and then spent four weeks hassling me by text and phone to call tax credits and give them my reg number or she couldn't have any money.... she was trying to claim for 24 hours a eek and i had told her that i could only look after her daughter for 12 hours a week.... anyhow i refused to call them unless she had a contract signed and she didn't.... tuned out she had tried this with several minders in my area and i was right to be firm so.....

don't give her your reg number until she has signed a contract either!!

jen x

ninagee
17-01-2010, 09:04 PM
Hi all

After having a chat lunchtime today we have parted company. She said no to any deposit, even a small contribution which I can understand. Next thing she says that the contracts would be completed after her first day at work! I explained why that was not possible, thus we ended our chat.

I do feel sorry for her but she did leave it to the last minute to sort out her childcare. Looking forward to my next enquiry!

Thank you for your comments, it has helped get my reasons across.

Nina xx :)

TheBTeam
17-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Sad as it is I think it sounds like it may have been for the best, hopefully someone lovely will come along very soon.

Lainey Lou
17-01-2010, 09:12 PM
Good for you I say, start as you mean to go on! Fingers crossed, the phone rings soon with your next mindee! :)

Beckieboo
17-01-2010, 09:17 PM
I hope the phone rings soon hun with some more mindees xxxx

Pipsqueak
17-01-2010, 09:49 PM
sorry to hear that but it sounds like its for the best.

hope something else comes along soon

mrs c
17-01-2010, 11:26 PM
You did say you had a bad feeling about this so perhaps this may have been a lucky escape for you.
Hope something else turns up soon.

Ripeberry
18-01-2010, 12:25 AM
That was a lucky escape, sounds like she was trying to get one over you. Sending good vibes for a better customer :)

Twinkles
18-01-2010, 08:49 AM
I am sorry but i really dont agree with others on this one. Some parents cant afford to pay upfront especially if she is just returning to work/single parent etc i think as cm's we are lucky as this is the only profession that i know that gets paid up front my dh is self employed but her still gets paid in arrears.
She hasn't been that reliable so i would be alittle wary of taking her on and would ask her if there is anything she can give upfront and then when tax credit comes through she pays you maybe she can have her tax credit weekly and pay you that way
I have 1 parent who has hers weekly and pays me that way and 1 parent who pays me 4 weekly when she gets her tax credit and just adds the extra that she owes when she gets paid.

Sorry but this is just my opinion and i would see if she turns up on monday with the paperwork

Nurseries also get paid upfront and ask for a deposit.