PDA

View Full Version : ear thermometers

PaulaR
15-01-2010, 01:08 PM
I had a child yesterday that felt really warm and not happy. I tried to put the fever scan on his head but he wouldn't stay still and it didn't seem very accurate.
I am thinking of investing in an ear one. Does anyone have one that they would recomend or not recomend,
thanks,
Paula

sarah707
15-01-2010, 01:35 PM
As far as I remember from my own first aid training we are not supposed to take temperatures...

I think this is in case we get it wrong.

If we think children are not well we must ring parents to take charge.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong :p :D

Tink
15-01-2010, 01:40 PM
As far as I remember from my own first aid training we are not supposed to take temperatures...

I think this is in case we get it wrong.

If we think children are not well we must ring parents to take charge.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong :p :D

That is my understanding. We were not to do it in nursery either.

If I were concerned i'd contact mum.

singlewiththree
15-01-2010, 01:43 PM
After hearing about children copying with putting things in ears I don't use the ear one at all just the forehead one but usually go off my instinct whether I feel they are too hot or not.

Blaze
15-01-2010, 01:44 PM
We are only meant to use fever scans (from first aid training)...:rolleyes: = We used to be able to use ear thermometers with written parental permission - but this is now a VERY grey area - so best stick with the fever scan, but preferably early collection if you suspect child is unwell. HTH

Twinkle
15-01-2010, 05:21 PM
I've never been told not to use an ear thermometer (I only retook FA certificate a few months ago). It makes me so cross that we are all given different information from different professional organisations.

Blaze
15-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Ear thermometers are seen as invasive - did my FA training a few monihs back with St John. THT

carlen222
15-01-2010, 06:25 PM
never heard of not being able to take temps, i use tempa dots, the disposable thermometers they use in the hospitals, no cross infection using them xx

Alibali
15-01-2010, 06:43 PM
First aid course tells us not to use them, I have a magic hand touch and can tell by feel if they have a fever or not. That said when I had a lo who suffered from febrile convulsions I did use an ear thermometer, but am trained as a nurse so have been trained in using one.