PDA

View Full Version : What info should I be carrying when out?

Cazz
15-01-2010, 12:56 AM
When you're out on nursery runs etc with mindees how much information should you carry about them?

I have an NCMA emergency card stating that I'm a childminder with an emergency contact number ( currently my mum as dh works quite a distance away and she knows where in my house the parents contact details are, but would it be better to have another childminder instead - she would obviously have to have details of children minded and parents contact details - is that allowed?).

Is this sufficent? I'm not supposed to carry cards with a photo of the child and the parents contact details am I? I'm thinking that would be breaking confidentiality and possibly putting the child/ren at risk if I was unconscious etc.

mama2three
15-01-2010, 06:44 AM
Hi cazz , I have a cm friend and we hold each others child records / emergency contacts. I have a set of cards , the front one has my details and her phone number to contact in an emergency. but behind that are cards with child emergency details name , allergies, language , drs address , religion and phone no. oh and a photo! I do worry about the confidentiality aspect , but cant remember who advised me to do them now. So now im worried i shouldnt have! I carry them everywhere attached to my changing bag.

Not much help am I? but look forward to your other replies!!

sarah707
15-01-2010, 07:59 AM
The Eyfs says...

Providers should take essential records and equipment on outings, for example, contact telephone numbers for the parents of children on the outing, first aid kit, a mobile phone.

This is in the guidance (not the statutory bit of the Eyfs).

I think it's a matter of common sense isn't it?

It's all well and good saying that photos / identifying information is breaking confidentiality...

But at the end of the day the needs of the child must come first and if the emergency services cannot identify the child then what's the point?

Hth :D

carlen222
15-01-2010, 10:00 AM
the SCMA were sending out free emergency cards to carry n your purse with every october order, it has a front card for all my details and emergency contact etc, then spaces for the kids details, allergies, emergency contacts etc and a space for their photo which i thougth was a great idea as easily identifies each child - god forbid that would ever need to happen-but gives peace of mind anyways!! xx

Mouse
15-01-2010, 10:35 AM
I carry a small notebook with me. It's got my details, DH's and another childminder's contact details, and a page for each child giving their name, age, Dr, parents' contact details etc.

I also copy out the wording about permission to seek medical treatment (can't remember it at the moment & can't be bothered to go & look!) and get the parents to sign it, so I have their permission at all times.

I don't put photos in as DH & my cm friend know the children well & would be able to identify/describe them if need be.

twiggy
15-01-2010, 11:08 AM
I carry a bag under the pushchair with a small first aid kit, and a copy of each childs information sheet and consent form for medical treatment, i also have a picture of each child. I Have a covering letter on the front of all the info sheets and consents stating I am a childminder and I give details of my emergency contacts.

mama2three
15-01-2010, 03:11 PM
The permission to seek medical advice is a good idea , shall add that to mine.

beccas
15-01-2010, 07:48 PM
i made my own little cards which i laminated :clapping: it has a photo and contact details but no names on, it just says they are with me a childminder and any allergies special needs. My ofsted inspector said they were good.

jelly15
16-01-2010, 02:43 PM
I made and laminated my own cards with photos and all the details that are on the ones the NCMA do. I have to have photos, as two days a week I have three two year old girls and emergency services might need to quickly identify which was which.

Carpet Monkeys
16-01-2010, 08:16 PM
I was told on my ICP course not to include the childs name. I haven't done mine yet but intend on putting a photo of the child, allergies/medical conditions, if significant religion, age, parents names and contact numbers, also a consent to treatment statement. I'm guessing that they will be just under postcard size.