PDA

View Full Version : not all childminders tell the truth about their grades!

happy days
14-01-2010, 11:27 PM
just been looking through my local areas inspection reports and i know they dont publish names but judging by the way the house and space is described and time of inspection, both of my daughters childminders lied about their grades! they both told me they got a good when they got satifactory with lots of improvement needed. i know i have been down graded recently due to my paperwork but i havent lied to my parents. Are they allowed to do this?

zillervalley
14-01-2010, 11:34 PM
I thought that we had to give a copy of the report to parents,I do , or I tell them that its on the website for them to read

strange thing for them to do

happy days
14-01-2010, 11:38 PM
i know! i wasnt offered a report and didnt know i could see one that was i became a more clued up childminder lol! xx

tashaleee
15-01-2010, 12:01 AM
I thought it was a legal requirement that we have so many days (7 or 14? sorry tired and dont feel like moving) in which to show our parents a copy of our reports - I even ask mine to sign a form to say that have been given a copy to read.

RedDragon
15-01-2010, 07:48 AM
I have a copy of my report on my website. Parents who have recently signed up double checked my web page one with the official website - it hadn't occured to me tht I could have lied - I didn't alter anything by the way, it didn't even cross my mind - could you imagine if I did!!:eek:

estrelas
15-01-2010, 07:57 AM
:eek:
Whats the point in lying?

Can't stand lies at the best of times
Although I know my previous childminder lied, she told me she got outstanding, when she got good.
She had got outstanding in a few areas but an overall good. I didn't see the point in her lying as I was more than happy ( at the time) with the level of care she gave and to be honest I wasn't really bothered about the inspection report.
This was were the doubts started setting in for me and i started to look more closely at other things.

Daftbat
15-01-2010, 11:18 AM
There's no point in lying - you have to make your inspection report available for parents to see anyway.

Tink
15-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Why would you lie?

It would to me tell parents you have got something to hide, can't be honest and can't be trusted.

When I get my report back it will be made available to parents as they need to know what Ofsted think.

I think it's very important to be honest if not trouble will start.

kentcfis
15-01-2010, 11:31 AM
On our Council site the information displayed in our 'childcare search' is the data supplied to us directly from OfSTED.

it contains the last inspection date
what type of inspection it was
and the outcome.

we have a development in place to provide a weblink directly to the Ofsted website inspection report sometime in the near future.

ajs
15-01-2010, 12:10 PM
i know a local minder lied to friends no idea whether she lied to parents though, she told her friends that she got outstanding when she actually got satisfactory.
no idea why she did it as at that time there was only one outstanding ?????? childminder in our town so if she really had got outstanding there would have been a big thing made of it
i have told my parents that my report is online as i didn't want to print it if they weren't interested in reading it

TheBTeam
15-01-2010, 12:37 PM
I dont see the point in lying, but i do know of a childminder that lied to me about what she got, not the overall grade bit, but about the individual bits claiming far more outstanding than were real.

My parents dont seem to be bothered about the inspection report despite being given a copy each as soon as i received it, they are more concerned with what they see and hear, not what they read from a snapshot by an independent person. Not saying it is worthless but that they said they 'had a feeling' when they met my family and they have seen nothing or heard nothing to make them change their minds.

Pudding Girl
15-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Makes you wonder what else they are stretching the truth about though doesn't it? :panic:

My parents all got an offer of a read of the paper copy, and also linked to the online one - good idea about putting a link to it on your website though, may do that (when I remember my log in details oops!)

jumpinjen
15-01-2010, 01:27 PM
You can ask for your daughter's childmidners registration number, tthen plug it inot ofsted and read their actual report instead of guessing!

Round here, minders plump up ofsted comments a bit i think to have a bit of a competition as to who said the best things to who.... i was just grateful to get good after what my daughter said to her :blush:

jenni

Kelly
15-01-2010, 02:10 PM
it's a shame that you didn't know you could ask to see your childminders reports. You said you searched on the description of the property etc, could you not get a copy of your contract and actually search by their registration number to be absolutely sure you are reading the correct reports.

Lainey Lou
15-01-2010, 04:25 PM
lying ... it always comes back and bites you on the bum ... thats my philosophy anyway! :laughing:

Pipsqueak
15-01-2010, 04:28 PM
I thought you were supposed to supply parents with a copy of your inspection report..... am off to find out where I have seen that .....

yes here it is:

Childminders must give copies of their latest report to all parents and carers of children who attend the setting, and to anyone else who asks for one. They cannot charge parents but may charge others a fee.
http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/Ofsted-home/About-us/How-we-inspect/Childminders

Ripeberry
15-01-2010, 05:33 PM
Most parents would have the CM's registration number on their contract anyway.
They could just go off and check it out for themselves. As others have said, parents have a gut feeling if something is not right and if these other CMs pretend to be otherwise, then they will lose the trust of the parents.
That is the most important thing :)

PixiePetal
15-01-2010, 05:44 PM
I dont see the point in lying, but i do know of a childminder that lied to me about what she got, not the overall grade bit, but about the individual bits claiming far more outstanding than were real.

My parents dont seem to be bothered about the inspection report despite being given a copy each as soon as i received it, they are more concerned with what they see and hear, not what they read from a snapshot by an independent person. Not saying it is worthless but that they said they 'had a feeling' when they met my family and they have seen nothing or heard nothing to make them change their minds.

I have never had a parent want to read my report, I have my copy for them to see and also say they can look me up on Ofsted site but no one has been interested. Most have come through word of mouth and are happy with what friends have said anyway.:rolleyes:

Oh and I am satisfactory, not been inspected since EYFS and much improved in the paperwork department since. (thanks to this site :thumbsup: )

Hebs
15-01-2010, 05:47 PM
i am SO proud of my GOOD it never passed my thoughts to change it :laughing:

how wrong :panic:

Alibali
15-01-2010, 06:49 PM
I photocopied mine and gave all parents a copy! I have nothing to hide.

Heaven Scent
15-01-2010, 07:21 PM
I think they are stupid to lie you always get found out - especially if you live in a small community - everybody knows somebody who knows you!!!!

(I just tell all my parents that I have been awarded super duper extra hardworking brilliant - they developed that grade just for me - its out on its own!!)

It a flippin public document for goodness sake - even if you don't know a minders reg number - if you know roughly when their inspection took place then you will be able to find the report. I've found minders reports without their Reg no. & I'm a technophobe!!!

Curly Quavers
15-01-2010, 07:24 PM
I'm in Scotland and the Care Commission does have names and grades on the web site.

And yes you would be surprised how many people lie but I can't believe how stupid they think people are that they will not check when it is so each to.

It is illegal (at least up here) to lie to your parent about your grades. We have to make sure parents have an opportunity to read the report.

onceinabluemoon
15-01-2010, 08:17 PM
Whats the point in lying, bound to get caught out sooner or later!

francinejayne
15-01-2010, 08:32 PM
I just tell all my parents that I have been awarded super duper extra hardworking brilliant - they developed that grade just for me - its out on its own

I'm pre-reg so have nothing to hide or lie about and wouldn't dream of doing so when I am finally inspected. I had secretly thought that I'd love to get 'good', though would be very happy with 'satisfactory' for my first inspection. Now though I am aiming for "super duper extra hardworking brilliant" !!! and I won't be happy unless I achieve it!!! :laughing:

It's a small world
19-01-2010, 11:41 AM
I dont think people should lie about what grade they got we have all worked hard for our grades and should be proud of them. If you lie it will come back to you (what goes around comes around ) and if a parent finds out youve lied then they may not be happy and think you have something to hide..this may effect your reputation and is it really worth it ????????????

Im proud of my grade and happy to shout it from the roof tops..Ive worked very hard for it....and know I deserve it so why lie...you shouldnt be ashamed of your grade what ever you get..and you certainly shouldnt have to compete with others. From what I noticed at my inspection Mrs O spent most of the time looking at my paperwork..surely ensuring the children are happy is just as important??? and you cant see that on paper...

ORKSIE
19-01-2010, 12:03 PM
I photocopied mine and gave all parents a copy! I have nothing to hide.

Same here:thumbsup:

babydayz
19-01-2010, 05:21 PM
:panic: I don't see the point of lying about it because when you do a contract with a parent it has your reg no on there so they can just look on the Ofsted website and find out the truth for themselves then you would be exposed as a liar anyway