PDA

View Full Version : Threading/linking toys

solly
14-01-2010, 08:57 PM
I have a LO who likes to thread things and we have done cotton reels, pasta etc but i want to give him other things to thread or link together and i have seen them somewhere but dont know where i have seen them.
Any help would be appreciated:)

The Juggler
14-01-2010, 09:55 PM
look in the educational catalogue, there are lots of those linking maths toys, penguis, elephants etc (I think!).

what about octons they more slot together.

if their threading is really good you could try those bead sets for girls jewellry, but maybe use thicker string?

Or easier option but make some interesting things, like threading loads of kitchen roll inners onto big string make a huge pipe or make holes in them and thread string through the holes to make 'telephones'

Lainey Lou
14-01-2010, 10:03 PM
I've just been on a course tonight and they said about children learning to use scissors by cutting up straws into smaller pieces and then using them as beads and threading them onto a thin pipe cleaner and making a bracelet. x

miffy
14-01-2010, 10:07 PM
I've just been on a course tonight and they said about children learning to use scissors by cutting up straws into smaller pieces and then using them as beads and threading them onto a thin pipe cleaner and making a bracelet. x

I was just going to suggest straws but you beat me to it!

You could try different sized buttons onto wool or string or cut out some cardboard shapes, hole punch round the outside of them and let mindees thread different coloured wool through the holes.

Miffy xx

Chell
14-01-2010, 10:30 PM
I was going to post the same thing. I've just been on Amazon looking at threading toys. There are some lovely dinosaur and transport beads that are very reasonable, depends on the age of the child though.

solly
15-01-2010, 07:29 AM
Thankyou I knew i could rely on you all to help with ideas:clapping:

grindal
15-01-2010, 08:04 AM
GLTC has some great ones - i think with transport and animals. Quite expensive though.

loocyloo
15-01-2010, 11:05 AM
for an older LO who doesn't put things in their mouths! hama beads are good for threading! we thread them ( and other things ) on to scoobidoo's ( those plastic string things older children like to plait etc to make things! )

how about making holes in milk bottle tops?

or punch holes round the edge of a paper plate and thread round it or across or anyway they like! mine love doing this, and often request it as an activity!!!

x

PixiePetal
15-01-2010, 11:10 AM
How about Cheerios cereal for an edible necklace! :D

mamasheshe
15-01-2010, 11:22 AM
How about Cheerios cereal for an edible necklace! :D

we've done this a lot great fun also making beads out of clay from elc then threading them to make necklaces

singingcactus
15-01-2010, 06:40 PM
I have these from this site. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Early-Maths-Link-N-Learn-Links-500-Learning-Fun_W0QQitemZ260513631090QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Toy s_Creative_Educational_RL?hash=item3ca7d28b72#ht_2 205wt_1165
There are loads more linking items and absolutely loads of other items here. The seller is very nice and I have been very happy with my purchases from here and will wholeheartedly recommend the magnet bumper car set (nothing to do with linking).

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
15-01-2010, 07:25 PM
i brought some rally good threading toys fromamazon and good value for money and free postage :thumbsup:

beccas
15-01-2010, 07:50 PM
I have these from this site. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Early-Maths-Link-N-Learn-Links-500-Learning-Fun_W0QQitemZ260513631090QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Toy s_Creative_Educational_RL?hash=item3ca7d28b72#ht_2 205wt_1165
There are loads more linking items and absolutely loads of other items here. The seller is very nice and I have been very happy with my purchases from here and will wholeheartedly recommend the magnet bumper car set (nothing to do with linking).

i have the magnet bumper car thing all mine love it.

francinejayne
15-01-2010, 08:19 PM
early learning centre do some lovely wooden threading beads - lots of different shapes in the set.