PDA

View Full Version : Now this is dedication....

Pipsqueak
14-01-2010, 05:42 PM
i hope after reading this - all of us who have cancelled school runs etc are suitably shamed..........;) ;) ;) ;)

this is what i call service going over and above the call of duty::eek: :D

this is a post on mumsnet:
DH just called to say that our CM isn't yet back from the school run (she rung us last night to ask if we could drop him off an hour later, as she is carrying another child on her back to school, as snow too thick for buggy and too deep for our DS. I was absolutely fine with this).

DH is waiting at CMs now, but just called to say that our DS is playing with another little girl, who is also waiting (in CMs house - the back door was unlocked and our CM always says to knock and walk in). The girls mum offered to sit with them both, to let my DH get to work, until CM gets back, which is very kind of her.

DH thanked her and agreed, but rang me to see what I thought, but I've asked him to go back in to wait for CM. I guess if anything happens, the other mum isn't a CM and I felt uncomfortable. I also don't think our CM would be comfortable either.

I just wondered what others thought?

TIA

Bananabrain
14-01-2010, 06:00 PM
No Pip,that's not dedication..........................that's pure madness.
I reckon that makes a really dangerous school run,even more so.
And what if she does her back in?:laughing:

Pipsqueak
14-01-2010, 06:01 PM
oh totally agree with you Louise, think the minder is utterly bonkers and sets an unrealistic precedence for the rest of us.....:laughing: i can just see it now...... but you should have carried them to school:panic:

Bananabrain
14-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Yeh, one strapped on the front,one on the back,just to balance it out:ROFL1: :ROFL1: :ROFL1:

mushpea
14-01-2010, 06:22 PM
I think its terrible, what if she fell and hurt the child on her back, not only that but what nutter leaves her back door open for all in sundry to walk in, she could come home one day and find a mad man in her house:eek:

Heaven Scent
14-01-2010, 06:22 PM
oh totally agree with you Louise, think the minder is utterly bonkers and sets an unrealistic precedence for the rest of us.....:laughing: i can just see it now...... but you should have carried them to school:panic:

I'm afraid if this was expected of me I'd have to fall back on the auld thinking on me feet routine (blame others) and say Ofsted and the HSE would take a very dim view of this as we would be putting ourselves and other peoples children at risk - in addition we are legally obliged to keep all information about the children secure and by leaving doors to our homes unlocked whilst out on school runs even in normal circumstances we would not be doing so. AND then OF COURSE ther is the INSURANCE - both Public Liability and Household that would be invalidated if we didn't do everything in our power to keep ourselves, the children, & our homes safe.

Last but by no means least there is always DH - Oh dear me what would he say if I went out and left the house unlocked - just couldn't be done!!

Personally I think she was a very very silly woman and she just should not have done it!!!!

Twinkles
14-01-2010, 06:32 PM
I'm sorry I'm not understanding this ? Do you lot mean you didn't carry your mindees to school on your back ??
Personally I carried one on the back one on the front and balanced the baby on my head !

Yeah right - silly woman !!!!

beccas
14-01-2010, 07:26 PM
i have been doing school runs with a double pushchair as i have no choice as my lo's both need to go so had to take mindees, my pushchair wheel are now almost buckled and its a ****** to push dont know if insurance will cover me so will have to pay out for new one!!!!!

i have been using the roads where possible as i only have to use side streets.But would never carry a child on my back/front whatever that is so dangerous.:eek:

Monkey1
14-01-2010, 09:06 PM
OMG! She needs her head looking at! :rolleyes:

estrelas
14-01-2010, 09:09 PM
but why would she leave her back door open?

Surely any weirdo could walk in?

It would only take one parent to mention it at work and everyone would know?

Tired
14-01-2010, 09:14 PM
I wouldn't leave my children with this woman, she sounds unhinged!!!:eek:

Alibali
14-01-2010, 09:19 PM
I guess it was just a baby in one of those back carrier things, I've used one before when I had 2 in a double and carried the youngest. Not in the snow right enough.

And lets not get started on reasons not to leave door unlocked and to allow parents to walk in an unlocked door.

Blaze
14-01-2010, 09:34 PM
I agree MAD!
But let's remember we had a member only the other day who nodded off - only to find a parent in the house (who hadn't woken her as she looked peaceful)...seems it's not that uncommon...in a way it's sad - there was a time when leaving doors unlocked was perfectly acceptable - not anymore!

Tired
15-01-2010, 07:23 AM
The member on here explained how it happened. She had unlocked the door because it was the time that the parents arrived. Not best practice, but understandable.

This woman seems to go out and leave her house open to all and sundry. Does she want to be burgled?

The Juggler
15-01-2010, 07:24 AM
:eek: :eek: i have no words!

angeldelight
15-01-2010, 07:28 AM

:laughing: :laughing:

Oh I do it all the time :laughing:

Angel xx

Helen79
15-01-2010, 02:03 PM
I don't understand what's wrong with carrying children on your back? :rolleyes:
How rude & judgemental to call her silly & mad :mad:

ds is often in a sling on my back, even in the snow & I always try to carry mindees instead of using a pushchair whenever possible.

I've even carried dd who's nearly 5 in the sling when she's just too tired to walk (she's very small & light)

I don't agree with leaving the back door unlocked but she may live a small village where is safer to do so. The parent's were probably glad to have somewhere warm to sit in waiting for her.

Kelly
15-01-2010, 02:19 PM

ds is often in a sling on my back, even in the snow & I always try to carry mindees instead of using a pushchair whenever possible.

I've even carried dd who's nearly 5 in the sling when she's just too tired to walk (she's very small & light)

I don't agree with leaving the back door unlocked but she may live a small village where is safer to do so. The parent's were probably glad to have somewhere warm to sit in waiting for her.

I also was a little shocked at how judgemental some of the comments are. I am sure she was trying to make the best of a bad situation, could the child on her back be her own? I certainly would not make a judgement whether she is a suitable childminder.

I think I would have been more concerned about the house being left open, anyone could have entered the house.

Ripeberry
15-01-2010, 02:42 PM
I think we as CM's should all make ourselves a 'buggy sledge', when our old buggies die a death during the year, take the wheels off and get Hubby or a DIY person to put some runners on them, or even get some customised runners to add onto existing buggies.
There could be lots of money out there for someone who could work out how to do it :thumbsup:
Other than that, just use a sledge, carrying in slippery conditions is a bit too dangerous :eek:

Pipsqueak
15-01-2010, 02:53 PM
I also was a little shocked at how judgemental some of the comments are. I am sure she was trying to make the best of a bad situation, could the child on her back be her own? I certainly would not make a judgement whether she is a suitable childminder.

I think I would have been more concerned about the house being left open, anyone could have entered the house.

i don't think the comments have been judgemental at all - it was all said tongue in cheek! there was no harm or malice intended i am pretty sure from anyone.

yes I think she is nuts carrying one on her back - in these dangerous conditions. i used to carry my own children around in a sling/harness and I have carried around minded children but there comes an age /weight whereby you cannot do it.

like I said - all credit to the woman but I would NOT put my own safety and wellbeing at risk especially in conditions like we have had.

mamasheshe
15-01-2010, 05:20 PM

my dd are both sling babies (my maya wrap is my bestest baby purchase) and i carried youngest in the snow on my back the other day. don't know if I'd carry minded children in my sling though not for any reason just wouldn't be the same i guess.

Blaze
15-01-2010, 06:40 PM
Edited because I have had a really bad day, I am in a really bad mood & don't want to take it out on forum members!

Chell
15-01-2010, 06:54 PM
Is a sling any more dangerous than a pram though? If a car slided onto the pavement could you move out of the way quicker with a parm that has wheels catching in the uneven ice/snow or with a baby in a sling (wearing appropriate footwear with good grips on their boots)?

It is easier to contriol/monitor the temperature of a child in a sling too.

IMO if the ice was bad then neither option is safer, both hold equally dangerous consequences if a child fell. Do people living in remote parts such as the North pole use prams or do they carry their children?

Tatia
15-01-2010, 07:01 PM
I'm fairly certain this post was just meant to be a bit of fun. I, for one, was picturing in my mind a childminder with a 7 year old gripping to her back for dear life in her noble effort to get the child to school on time.:laughing: Made me giggle!

As for leaving her door open, didn't she say someone was in the house already because the DH was gonna leave his child with the lady? :)

And for the best part of all, how fantastic that the woman who posted spoke so highly of her childminder? :clapping:

Okay, now back to my visual image of the minder with a (now 8 year old) child on their back, struggling through blizzard like conditions.:laughing:

Pipsqueak
15-01-2010, 07:04 PM
I'm fairly certain this post was just meant to be a bit of fun. I, for one, was picturing in my mind a childminder with a 7 year old gripping to her back for dear life in her noble effort to get the child to school on time.:laughing: Made me giggle!

Okay, now back to my visual image of the minder with a (now 8 year old) child on their back, struggling through blizzard like conditions.:laughing:

Thats is EXACTLY how i saw this in my minds eye Tatia - glad someone sees the funny side of it:D

Twinkles
15-01-2010, 07:10 PM
I'm confused ( I know I know !! ) but all this talk of slings ?? Didn't Pip say this child was being carried to school ??

I've yet to see a sling big enough for a school child :laughing:

And....good grief how strong is that childminder?? I can barely carry the toddlers let alone a school child !!

Twinkles
15-01-2010, 07:12 PM
.....and another thing was it primary school or secondary school ??

You may have this image of a seven year old Tatia ....what if it was older :laughing: feet dragging on the ground :laughing: :laughing:

ok I'll stop now :D

Pipsqueak
15-01-2010, 07:14 PM
.....and another thing was it primary school or secondary school ??

You may have this image of a seven year old Tatia ....what if it was older :laughing: feet dragging on the ground :laughing: :laughing:

ok I'll stop now :D

shouting giddy-up giddy-up:laughing:

Tatia
15-01-2010, 07:16 PM
I can't get this vision out of my head!! It's getting progressively more Arctic, as well. Swirling snow, howling winds, the sound of baying wolves, childminder wearing a long bear-skinned cloak and a tea towel tied around her face to keep the snow out. I hope she has a faithful Tauntaun around to shove mindee inside of in case they get stranded in the ice! :ROFL1:

Pipsqueak
15-01-2010, 07:18 PM
PMSL Tatia - I have visions of the minder digging her way through - tunneling, burrowing.... muttering 'I may be some time'

Twinkles
15-01-2010, 07:22 PM
PMSL Tatia - I have visions of the minder digging her way through - tunneling, burrowing.... muttering 'I may be some time'

Carrying a seventeen year old on her back :laughing: :laughing:

FizzysFriends
15-01-2010, 07:31 PM

As for leaving her door open, didn't she say someone was in the house already because the DH was gonna leave his child with the lady? :)

And for the best part of all, how fantastic that the woman who posted spoke so highly of her childminder? :clapping:

This is what I thought when they said about it, thinking 7 yr old nearly as tall as the CM :laughing:

Zoomie
15-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Millions carry babies on their backs ... and that is the least of their burdens !

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40918000/jpg/_40918187_carrybbc203.jpg

nannymcflea
15-01-2010, 09:57 PM
Perhaps it wasn't a piggyback, perhaps she was on her hands and knees doing a horsey?:D

kellywestie
15-01-2010, 11:58 PM
Thanks for cheering me up guys and gals!!! Have just sat here reading with tears rolling down my cheeks - fabulous visions - not far off the visions I had when I read the original post. Fab!!!!:clapping: :D :thumbsup:

FizzysFriends
16-01-2010, 08:21 AM
Perhaps it wasn't a piggyback, perhaps she was on her hands and knees doing a horsey?:D

Omg now got visions off all the minders at school arriving with their mindees on their back playing horsey I'm not gonna be able to look at them without laughing Monday

loocyloo
16-01-2010, 08:39 AM
Omg now got visions off all the minders at school arriving with their mindees on their back playing horsey I'm not gonna be able to look at them without laughing Monday

me too!

i am sitting here crying with laughter, with my children looking at me as if i am mad!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Pipsqueak
16-01-2010, 08:42 AM
well I must admit that just lately my own kids and mindees have tumbled out of school at the end of the day and treated me like a packhorse - can you carry this, I can't carry my bag its too heavy.... etc
I suppose this would be a natural progression - carry the children

FizzysFriends
16-01-2010, 08:53 AM
well I must admit that just lately my own kids and mindees have tumbled out of school at the end of the day and treated me like a packhorse - can you carry this, I can't carry my bag its too heavy.... etc
I suppose this would be a natural progression - carry the children

May be u should be horsey and get a cart to pull for the bags , kids on yr back

jumpinjen
16-01-2010, 10:14 AM
I regularly use a back carrier for children up to two years old, they are built like a rucksack, are designed to distribute weight safely and have a harness to clip the child in..... the Cm in question was really unlikeyl to be carrying a large child on her back as they can walk in snow!!!

As for buggy sledges..... I was In canada in October for my brother's wedding (he married a canadian lady) and they have FAB buggies, that are like those carts that go on the back of bikes to be pulled, they are deep and have a zip over rain hood, and you can bundle the little ones up inblankets inside and the best bit???? The wheels have clips for sledge runners when the snow gets too deep for wheels!!!!! I want one!

jenni x

hello kitty
16-01-2010, 11:19 AM

:ROFL1: :ROFL1: :ROFL1:

Tatia
16-01-2010, 01:54 PM
I wore my daughter and younger mindees in a Maya wrap and would never criticise someone for it. This thread was never meant to be about that. It was just a bit of silliness at the image conjured up of a childminder being so dedicated she'd put a school-aged child on her back and carry him to school.:laughing: