PDA

View Full Version : Worried I've done the wrong thing

atmkids
14-01-2010, 01:48 PM
One of the LO's that I look after but only occasionally didn't come to me this morning as her mum knows that I don't like to drive on ice and as she needs me to take her to her nans after lunch (I don't work between the hours of 12.30 and 3.00) she decided just to take her straight to her nans house. Anyway, at 11.15 which is an hour before I have to take another mindee to nursery (the one where she works) she turned up at the door with her daughter saying her mum had been sick so couldn't look after her anymore and could I look after her for the next hour, then take her to nursery where she would keep her with her for the afternoon. Hope that's not too confusing.

Anyway, as soon as she said her mum had been sick I got a bit flustered as I'll do anything to avoid bringing sickness into my house. I know it can't always be avoided but I will certainly do everything I can to stop it. I basically said that I wasn't keen on having LO as if her mum had a bug and was sick when she was there then she would most probably catch it and could end up making us all ill.

I explained that if I was to get sick I wouldn't get paid and would end up letting at least 3 families down. I did say I'd take her if she really wanted me to but she said no she'd feel too guilty now if we were to catch it so she took her straight to nursery with her.

Do you think I was being ridiculous in not wanting the child to come in just in case she might have a bug. I must admit I'm relieved that she didn't but am feeling a bit silly about my reasoning.

Also the other mindee who I took to the nursery is the son of the reception teacher at the same school so the two mums obviously know each other well. I'm a bit concerned that they'll be discussing it and deciding between them that I've been unfair and maybe won't recommend me to future mindees. :panic:

Mouse
14-01-2010, 02:20 PM
I have to be honest, I'd have taken the child in. There's a chance she may get whatever the granny had, but if she's not showing any sign of it then I wouldn't exclude her.

My sickness policy covers the mindee being ill, but not people they've been in contact with. I've had parents bring their children to me, then go back home to bed because they're ill. They know I will phone them if the child shows any sign of illness, but I wouldn't say they couldn't bring the child if it was perfectly well.

At the end of the day though, it's your business & you run it how you want. All you can do is explain your reasons to the parents & hope they are OK about it.

wendywu
14-01-2010, 02:20 PM
If it wasnt the child who had actually been sick then i would have taken her. You would never know in the future is she had mixed with anyone at nursery, or played with anyone who was coming down with a bug. :)

The Juggler
14-01-2010, 02:51 PM
I don't think you can really exclude a child because there is sickness in the family. You might never accept them otherwise. Unless they show signs themself I think that parents might see this as unfair

atmkids
14-01-2010, 03:44 PM
Oh God I feel really bad now. I was hoping at least one of you would agree with me. I think the problem is that I have a bit of a phobia about sickness and go into panic mode whenever it's mentioned. But I also feel that this shouldn't stop me from being a good childminder.

Obviously if you become a nurse you'll see sick every day but I feel as a childminder it shouldn't have to be part of the job and will do whatever I can to avoid it. To be perfectly honest I will never be happy for a child to come to me if somebody very close to them has a sickness bug.

I've obviously done the wrong thing professionally but can't help how I feel.

caz3007
14-01-2010, 03:47 PM
Perhaps have a word with the mum tomorrow and explain how you feel. Can just see her not telling you if either parents are ill

I would have taken the child, though.

FizzysFriends
14-01-2010, 03:47 PM
I think you need to have paperwork to this affect because can't the parent ask for loss of earning if you are refusing care when the don't have a reason to exclude?

wendywu
14-01-2010, 03:54 PM
[To be perfectly honest I will never be happy for a child to come to me if somebody very close to them has a sickness bug.

I've obviously done the wrong thing professionally but can't help how I feel

So are you saying that you will not take mindees if a family member has been sick. Or that you will but will not feel happy about it ?

Adiamond
14-01-2010, 05:15 PM
I too have a phobia of sick :eek: If I am talking to someone and they mention that someone close has been sick I immediatley feel sick myself and go into panic mode and start cleaning :eek: I hate sick eugh!!!
But I wouldn't be able to justify my phobia for not taking in a mindee who's family member had been sick (as much as I would love to be able to!), but I would keep my distance and have the dettol spray ready!!!! x

atmkids
14-01-2010, 05:31 PM
Well I phoned the mum to apologise and she was absolutely fine. She understood my reasons and hadn't given it a second thought. I've told her that I'll be happy to have mindee tomorrow and I will put this one down to experience. :blush:

PixiePetal
14-01-2010, 05:39 PM
I too have a phobia of sick :eek: If I am talking to someone and they mention that someone close has been sick I immediatley feel sick myself and go into panic mode and start cleaning :eek: I hate sick eugh!!!
But I wouldn't be able to justify my phobia for not taking in a mindee who's family member had been sick (as much as I would love to be able to!), but I would keep my distance and have the dettol spray ready!!!! x

My DD(15) has a phobia of sick, like you the word only has to be mentioned and you can see her tense up.

She is a dab hand with anti bac and carries gel with her at school - she goes green and goes into panic mode, especially if I am not there.

When she got a headache at school and her eyes went funny, a friend said it sounded like a migraine and that she was usually sick with it - you can imagine the blind panic - she was sent home anyway (and was sick too!) We are teaching her to cope and be realistic in her fears.

She tries not to let it control decisions or she would never go anywhere or eat anything.

Adiamond
14-01-2010, 05:51 PM
My DD(15) has a phobia of sick, like you the word only has to be mentioned and you can see her tense up.

She is a dab hand with anti bac and carries gel with her at school - she goes green and goes into panic mode, especially if I am not there.

When she got a headache at school and her eyes went funny, a friend said it sounded like a migraine and that she was usually sick with it - you can imagine the blind panic - she was sent home anyway (and was sick too!) We are teaching her to cope and be realistic in her fears.

She tries not to let it control decisions or she would never go anywhere or eat anything.

My 15 year old daughter is exactly the same!!! She will make a special trip to the shops if we have run out of anti bac gel :o, but the same here we are trying to deal with it but she obviously has picked this up from me :( we have to deal with it together!!!! x x