PDA

View Full Version : Help - ideas for 8yr old boys

Emma82
13-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Although I've been minding for 18mths I've only had under 5's but on Monday I have an 8yr old boy and his parents coming around to enquire about after school care.

Any ideas for things I can have out ready for him would be much appreciated as most 8yr olds I know just want to watch tv and play computer games!

:)

Chell
13-01-2010, 10:43 PM
Do you have any Lego or Playmobil?

Emma82
13-01-2010, 10:59 PM
I've got a small box of lego, but not much as my own boys are only little.

mushpea
14-01-2010, 07:03 AM
My older ones like cooking, hotwheels , lego, action figure toys and the wii, you could ask him when he comes what he likes to do after school and if he says watch tv or play computer games then ask mum if she is happy for him to do this and if she would like it reglated ie, mine are allowed half hour each of either tv or the wii.

angeldelight
14-01-2010, 08:04 AM
I would wait and get to know him first and ask him what he likes to do

What about getting a few cheap colouring books, puzzle books , word searches for him to sit and do when you chat to mom?

The older boys I mind - read, do colouring, puzzle books, word searches, play with the cars / action figures - just simple ideas to start you off

He will be the best person to tell you what he likes so ask him when he comes to see you !!

Good luck hope you get the job

Angel xx

sandy64
14-01-2010, 11:10 AM
i have a 8yr old he plays with ,action men,lego loves arts crafts drawing hama beads. i wouldnt worry too much he will tell you what he likes and will probably play with little ones as well.

singingcactus
14-01-2010, 02:32 PM
They also like free painting, gluing, play dough and pretty much most other messy play too :D (so long as they haven't come from a baby wipe happy house lol)
They enjoy the same messy play that your youngsters will enjoy.

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
14-01-2010, 04:37 PM
My 8 yr old mindee, loves cooking, construction, and i go on the internet and print off free work sheets like, word searches, crosswords, mazes etc- he like to show off how clever he is :) so these keep him really busy and are free!

He enjoys board games aswell as the usual tv wii. He likes it if i get him to help me aswell, simply things like preparing fruit at snack time makes him feel like hes incharge rather then being minded !!

After he had been here for a few days i gave him a questionaire asking him to list 10 activitesin the order heliked doing them.

chels55
14-01-2010, 05:37 PM
mine like the ds, wwf magazines where they can cut out favourite charactors and write about them, tv, colouring, uno,connect four and lego. Each child has a favourite thing so i have all the older childs toys in a huge box and bring it out when we get back from school.

cuffleygirl
14-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Again lego, transformers, knex, meccano (bits are bigger too), most of all my older ones love playing with the younger ones, particularly if they are the only older one - no need to be embarrassed in front of peers- cooking is always a winner in this age group!

Emma82
14-01-2010, 10:30 PM
Thank you for all your ideas - I have a wii and the usual craft stuff and free printables but I'm just coming off maternity leave and my brain isn't back to minding mode yet!

:)